Topcon 700:1 CR (supposedly) 15"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've found some specs too and they are all the same but I can't seem to find the real response time on this thing. :scratch:

Technically (<-spelling?) if an LCD has 5ms in rise time, does that mean it automatically has 11ms in fall time? :confused:

Help me out here dudes!! I have no idea how these things work. :eek:

Takusama said:
I've found some specs too and they are all the same but I can't seem to find the real response time on this thing. :scratch:

Technically (<-spelling?) if an LCD has 5ms in rise time, does that mean it automatically has 11ms in fall time? :confused:

Help me out here dudes!! I have no idea how these things work. :eek:

no that dosent mean anything it was just a guess
it could be 5ms rise +20ms fall for a 25ms responce or anything for that matter but theres no way of knowing becides finding the lcd's mfg specs wich will be next to imposible unles someone buys one and dissasembles it

I think it's silly.

First of all, to say that having a low brightness has anything to do with the contrast ratio is false information presented as a fact.

700:1 contrast ratio means when the LCD is turned off (completely transperent, in other words, white), it is 700 times brighter than then it's completely turned on (black). So what happens if you put a brighter light source through it? Nothing, as far as the contrast ratio is concerned. The white is brighter, and so is the black, but the white is still 700 times brighter than the black.

A good contrast ratio means that dark red stands well apart from very dark red, etc. Colors are not washed out. Lowering the brightness does not affect this at all.

Now is this some shady company that lies about their specs because they make equipment that measures contrast ratio that everyone else uses? I dunno, but I don't think that means they "tamper" with their equipment. Sure, there could be an exaturation. Maybe it's really 650:1. Oh no. Not a big deal. It's not like they have a 400:1 panel and are claiming it's 700:1. That's a bit absurd.

uha,

well this is what i think. when you look at the screen you dont have true black, Why? because light is still passing the lcds and washing out the black. you can see this when you are watching 16:9 on a 4:3 screen, the gray bars.

if the case was was that the lcd turned on (black) and blocked all the light then contrast would be much better. but since light still goes through it it will wash out and the stronger the light the more washed out the black will be on the screen. So i believe that the more light you have the less contrast you'll have no matter what the specs say... there is a balance.

ap0

well theres another way to look at this theroy of brightness afecting the contrast

1 the pannel is less transparent and the contrast goes up
the pannel is more transparent and the contrast goes down

then why is this lcd rated a 350cd/m2 its brighter than most lcd's i have seen

ap0the0sis said:
uha,

well this is what i think. when you look at the screen you dont have true black, Why? because light is still passing the lcds and washing out the black. you can see this when you are watching 16:9 on a 4:3 screen, the gray bars.

if the case was was that the lcd turned on (black) and blocked all the light then contrast would be much better. but since light still goes through it it will wash out and the stronger the light the more washed out the black will be on the screen. So i believe that the more light you have the less contrast you'll have no matter what the specs say... there is a balance.

ap0

First of all, your wrong. There's nothing wrong with stating your opinion, or a theory, and I'm by no means trying to flame you or shoot you down or anything, but your post has w/o a doubt uneccesarilly discouraged people from getting this thing because they though you knew what your talking about.

People need to refrain from sounding like experts when they express opinions and hypothisis.

Now I am 100% conviced that I am right. Anybody, please feel free to prove me wrong, but it better be convincing. Here's the deal.

Anybody can turn the contrast and brightness down on their monitor and achive very dark blacks. I'd like to be able to own an electronics store, turn the brightness all the way down on my best selling LCD monitor, and put a large sign over it saying 1000:1 contrast ratio, but that's not how it works and that's not what contrast ratio it. It has nothing to do with how bright the light is going through it.

Look at it in terms of simple math:

x = the numeric value in terms of brightness when a solid black picture is on an LCD w/ 100w bulb shining through it

y = the numeric value in terms of brightness when a solid white picture is on an LCD w/ 100w bulb shining through it

The contrast ratio of this LCD (or any LCD for that matter) is x:y, or x over y.

Now let's get rid of that 100w bulb and throw in a 1000w bulb of the same type (let's just say MH).

The entire image is now 10 times brighter. So ask yourself this.

Does x over y equal 10 times x over 10 times y?

Does x/y = 10x/10y ?

Yes, it does. Therefore, the contrast ratio is the same no matter how bright or dim the light source is. I hope I proved my point.

If I were wrong (which I'm not), it would not be called "contrast ratio". It would be called "contrast level", and would be completely meaningless info because not only does brightness of the lamp affect it, but you can change it by pushing a button.

Put it this way. If you were right, companies wouldn't be listing a high contrast ratio as a technical feature. Go into Fry's and all the LCD monitors say the brand, the resolution, the price, and the contrast ratio. Why would they do that?

By the way, sorry if that sounded a little harsh. I'm not trying to argue or fight or make you look bad or anything like that. It's just that when I read your post, you sounded so sure of yourself that even I (and cruser) believed it for a few minutes. Very discouraging.

Your right, I dont have any "x and y math" to prove my point. That is why I said "I think" and "I believe" I never said im 100% sure but in all honesty, I still think that if you were to put a stronger light source behind something that suppose to work with certain amount of light going thought it I THINK you'll over power it and wash it out a little.

Here is a simple way I tried tested this out. I got a piece of 5% tint. This film suppose to block all the light going through it except for 5% goes through. Now I shined a 40W bulb thought this tint and i got a dark light spot on the wall... now i swaped with a 100W and that dark spot was lighter than with the 40W bulb, why? because there is more, stronger light going through it.

But whatever, Im not trying to argue or discourage anyone, Do it, use it, try it, I just dont THINK you'll get the actuall 700 contrast onto the screen.

Thats just the way i look at it. My thoughts and opinions. I could be wrong, I could be right. Try it and post results.

apo

geez...I Hate math!:mad:.....

both very good points, i dont think that contrast ratios degrade by that much, IE: lifter ( and others) are using NEc monitors which has 300:1 contrast ratio and his results are amazing ( and others) me i have 150:1 contrast ratio if this low ratio was degraded (or washed out) then it wouldnt be viewable, many ppl use 100:1 ratio and less...so "maybe" if it does washout its very little.

IHMO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.