Top ten ways to a better Aleph?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All you need is a CL-60 current limiter... Is about a two dollar part from Mouser or Digi-Key. I am pretty sure this is standard in every Aleph amplifier ever built at Pass factory. It limits inrush current but is effectively out of circuit once inrush is gone. Also use one from AC ground to chassis! I have them in all my amplifiers, not just Pass!

Mark

this was fast.

Only PSU will be bigger. the rest will be stock like recommended in SM.
Heatsink should be ok if Heatsinkmanufacturer have correct data to his products. And ive put in some safety margin too.

If Heatsink should not be enough (hopefully i dont need this part:xfingers:)
Decrease the Bias would be ok?
Or should i delete a some irfp`s and let the bias per Transistor at same level?
What will be the better way?

thanks

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
certainly 2 x 10R is more than 10R

however , I was asking about

Not two in series but one in hot and one in neutral.

sometimes hot is called hot , and neutral is called return , not without the reason

whatever - you meant good , but didn't wrote clear enough , so I'll try .....

Papa is making arrangement like that for years now , as part of clever mains voltage selector arrangement , re-positioning NTCs in appropriate positions on mains pcb

that way , when donut is having two 110V primaries , each of them is having own dedicated CL60

when connected for 110V operation , they're (CL60+one primary combo ) connected in parallel , while - when connected for 220V operation , everything is practically in series

This is a good point Zen because Damger Mouse is in Bavaria and likely has 220 volts. He may be better off with a CL-60 in each leg of the transformer. Granted current draw on 220 volts is likely going to be half but the inrush is going to be the same.

I am lucky enough to own a device capable of measuring DC inrush current. I will have to post a picture tomorrow. I normally use it for verifying inrush from xenon rectifier when xenon lamp is ignited as that is critical to the life of the lamp. It just happens to also work on power amplifier supplies too!

Mark

I'm currently running 4 aleph mini's with rail voltage of 21V + & - I've been running these awesome beasts for years with no issues. However id like to gain a little bit more power.

I'm wondering what the max rail voltage is and what i can get out of this aleph mini for power..

I'm estimating 20watts right now..

I have matched outputs & IRF9610's, dale resistors & running a CRC psu..

P1030457.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.