Tool For box design.

I agree with you Pinkmouse, using ECAD and MCAD all day, I do take pleasure in drawing out some of my home constructions, and do the initial planning on paper. But I like to do the finished thing in Solidworks, just to double check fit etc, and also wood is quite expensive over here so the more I can do to avoid human (my) errors the better.
That said I'm doing a cabin bed for one of my lads, and want to do it all in the traditional (pen, paper, ruler) way;) must admit though I am missing the tools CAD gives you, and have to keep resisting getting the computer out.
The advantage of CAD though, specially 3D gives you an easily scalable design with parametrics.

Firends its same as why not a horse cart, why motor car? :)

I remember my collage days. we had engg drawing only first year. and all we learnt was basic isometric. with different projections. And as we were student of electronics stream we always gave low priority to engg drawing. hhaa....

well, we still use pencil to get a basic drawing but when its to be made final i would always prefer some cad.

now why cad ??

1) any angle view is easily available once its 3D.
2) total time taken is less.
3) editing is easy clean and neat.
4) 3D gives a real feel.
5) you can also paint it easily with different colors, textures. and if don't like it just undo it. :)