To paint brushed aluminum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bah, late in the thread :(

If you don't get it powder coated and go the paint route, el-cheapo RONA brand primer works on aluminum.... crummy on everything else, but aluminum it works on. "Genuine" aluminum/metal primers that can be bought in retail stores, do not do anything but lighten your wallet.

Like Ashok says, glossy finishes show the smallest ooops. But you can use a matte clear top finish to take care of that.

Clean is essential. If you don't want to use nasty chemicals, dishsoap gets rid of oils (air dry and handle with lates gloves after) and a half-hour before priming, wipe down with a clean cloth (hospital grade cloths work, no dust!) soaked in rubbing alcohol.

Cheers!

Ah, the Triumph. I hesitate to respond, as no "real" Triumph aficionado would even include it- it's a 1976 TR-7 that my wife and I bought new that year. I autocrossed (pylon raced) it for several years with good success, but it hasn't been driven in about a decade. Sort of a retirement project, though all it really needs are a few seals and a battery. Long ago I installed a new ignition, Huffaker cam and some suspension mods (plus a full engine rebuild), so it goes pretty good. Never waste money on a carb synchronizer- any audiophile worth his or her salt can synchronize carbs with nothing more than a length of garden hose.:D

Ahhhhh, the Triumph!

Actually it sounds like fun! I don't know much about the TR7s, but how about a project for this Winter (don't wait to retire,you'll have plentyof other things to do then). And zip around next Summer?

That's just about what we use for Motorcycles to sync the carbs too!

Regards//Keith

Hey Conrad, do you want to meet us for the big race at Niagra falls?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.