To DIY, or OEM PASS?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
At the time of my F5 I has some B&W 683's the F5 couldn't cope with them.

I've just won a pair of YELLOW (that's another story) B&W 802D's, the F5 certainly wouldn't like them.

The Aleph 4 copes well with both the 683s and the 802D's

The March 2009 edition of Hi-Fi World wrote a small review of the B&W 683's.

According to their measurements, the magnitude of Z drops down to 3.5 ohms.
So I think an amp with a low Zout and that can provide lots of current is needed to drive these.

In many ways the 683 are a good value - getting the FST mid range unit and other trickle down technology.
However, looking at the frequency response, its clear the crossover could have been better.

... and speaking of marketing,
H-Fi World measured a rising output above 10KHz, lifting to + 5dB's at 16KHz.
... lets boost the treble so people think they are more accurate.

well. a $20 driver with a $50 cap, will most likely sound better then a $50 driver with a $20 cap. that is his point.

I find that tough to believe, but hearing is believing. As my Seas project is now on the stands doing just fine, (Clatiry on the tweeter) I will rebuild my Dayton/VIfa's with good caps ( it has electro's) and see before I built a total new crossover and put in the XT-25 VIfa's in them.

I find that tough to believe, but hearing is believing. As my Seas project is now on the stands doing just fine, (Clatiry on the tweeter) I will rebuild my Dayton/VIfa's with good caps ( it has electro's) and see before I built a total new crossover and put in the XT-25 VIfa's in them.

to say it in a other way. less good drivers with good caps sounds better den very good drivers and crappy caps:)

OK, OK. I'm ordering some less crappy caps ( Daytons), and then maybe some "good" ones to see how big the difference is on the cheap Vifa's in an older pair that are next on my list to upgrade. They have electrolytics in them. I'll test the caps before I swap the tweeters. I still contend, the difference in a $25 tweeter and $50 tweeter matters more that a decent poly cap from a great cap. I will keep my ears open and listen myself.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.