To Biamp or not to Biamp, that is the question???????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Krispy Kreme makes what are (in my not-so-humble opinion) the best doughnuts in the world. Period.
Yes, I'm prejudiced. Not only are they more tasty than the law allows, but they got their start in North Carolina not far from where I was born. Even if I hadn't been eating the things at every opportunity since the day I was born, I'd still have to root for the home team.
For those who don't know what a doughnut is, it's a small O-shaped piece of fried bread coated with sugar. Anyone who tries to tell you that a doughnut is made like a small cake (e.g. Dunkin' Donuts and their ilk) covered with confectioner's sugar is seriously deluded. The only known cure for this malady is to get them to a Krispy Kreme and drop one in their mouth.
Religions have started over less...
www.krispykreme.com

Grey

I'll put Moosehead beer and Tim Horton's donuts against any other alcohol-sugary snack combination anytime. I haven't tasted Krispy Kremes but I hear they're having trouble making inroads into Canada. Tim Horton's are just too good.

Back on track: I've just figured out the schematic of the biamping crossover used in the Advent Powered Loudspeaker. Quad RC4136 op-amp, tons of passives, lots of gain padding in various places. I'm debating whether to replace the entire thing or possibly just update the opamp.
The circuitry is confusing enough that I'm going to measure the crossover frequencies.
If anyone has more info on these things (specifically crossover frequency and characteristics) I'd love to hear about it.

Beer= Affligem Trippel in 750ml bottle (w/cork, naturally), or any number of barley wines.
Prior to the local religious zealots going on a rampage, you could get it here. Now, I have to import mine from Virginia, which is a long trip, indeed.
Paul,
Being a lunatic fringe kind of guy, I'd say go discrete, but opamps would be easier if the pinout is the same. Just keep an eye on whatever EQ they engineered into the thing.

Grey

P.S.: Moosehead? Egad, Paul, you and I are going to have to have a serious drinking session one of these days...even if we have to meet in Virginia to do it. Incidentally, Grimbergen makes a pretty good Trippel, too, and their Double ain't bad (for that matter, the Affligem Double is good, also).

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
paulb said:
Tim Horton's are just too good.

Yuck -- we got Tim Horton's out here and i won't eat their donuts, Thrifty's are way better. As to beer -- i'm allergic.

The passive Advents XO at about 2.4k, and i believe the active ones were the same. If i were you i'd just start over, the amps in the Powered Advents have a great tendency to lose their smoke. When we were selling these new, they were breaking all the time. Each of the 2 pair we had broke more than once.

dave

Thanks, Dave, my calculations from the components gave me either 2.5K or 1K, so I'll assume the former.
I knew about the smoke problem, I'm yanking the amps and replacing them. If I find the right heatsinks, I think I can get 2 Class A channels in each.
Thrifty's? Isn't that a blue jeans store?
Grey: hope to take you up on that sometime. Except Nebraska would be more like halfway between us.

Paul,
Dunno what the laws are in Nebraska...hopefully not as restrictive as the ones here. It's a possibility. It'd be difficult to drag my system out there--you'll have to bring yours.
Have you considered discrete opamps on daughterboards as replacements for the native opamps?

Grey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.