• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

TO-3 SYMASYM

Joshvi, MJ777,

so we are at 6 PCBs.
Maybe some other DIY'ers show interest: I will open a new round of group-buy then.

Andrew: I offered versions for both TO3- (for example: MJ21195 / MJ21196) and TO264-transistors (for example: NJW0281 / NJW0302)
in this group-buy.

The reasons for my TO3 - offer have been:

- I layouted the TO3 - PCB version on behalf of a request of my DIY-friend Joe (see post #1)
- the thermal characteristics of TO3 - transistors are "unbeatable"
- I myself like the warm and tender "Phillysound" that the TO3s are able to produce

If it will come to a new round of group-buy, I will offer the TO264 - version (I have it as well).

Find attached a picture of the TO264 - SYMASYM ...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

... and let me give you my sound impressions of it:

I have built several DIY - AMPs so far: AMPs designed by Carlos, by Ron and by Mihai, ...

For example: this is my FC-100 - build:

fc-100e1xuz.jpg

... and even this one has to compete very hard with the SYMASYM that I layouted.

The SYMASYM is: easy-going, fast, very black bass and smooth trebles, you can tweak it, if you want, it does not need any exotic components,
it is never-tiring, it is the "work-horse" in my home, ..., it is the most beautiful, low cost AMP that I have ever come across.

Best regards - Rudi_Ratlos

Last edited:
So: we are at 10 PCBs.
I just quoted the price. It is 12€ per PCB.

Shipment is worldwide and will cost 3.45€.

I will wait another week for further particpants and will give you payment and delivery details then.

Andrew: the use of the following transistorshas been tested and been approved:

- MJL3281A/MJL1302A
- MJL4281A/MJL4302A
- MJW0281A/MJW0302A
- MJL0281A/MJL0302A
- NJW0281G/NJW0302G
- MJL21194/MJL21193 (with min. fT of 4 Mhz !)
- MJL21196/MJL21195 (with min. fT of 4 Mhz !)

The use of Toshiba SC5200/SA1943 may result in changing the value of the feedback capacitor (see Pavel's review: symasym)

Best regards - Rudi_Ratlos

Attachments

• Image3.png
    Image3.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 658
Andrew,

I compared the datasheets of the MJL21196 (case: TO–3PBL) and MJ21196 (case: TO-3). The datasheets look almost identical.
Moreover I have sold more than 100 TO-3 SYMASYM PCBs and did not yet receive any complaint about a malfunction, ...

Pavel reduced the value of the feedback capacitor to 3pF in order or prevent oscillations, in case the mentioned Toshiba transistors are used.

Best regards - Rudi

P.S. The currently offered SYMASYM will feature TO-264 / TO-3P case transistors.

Last edited: