TL's vs. Closed Box or Ported

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
pinkmouse said:
Hi Rod,

You can easily try an aperiodic loading, and I think this may work best for you to get maximum dynamics.

Simply mount your driver in a tube approx 1/3 to 1/2 wavelength of your lowest needed frequency, then heavily stuff the rear. This gives you no compression loading of the driver, but absorbs most of the rearward radiation.

You might also try open baffle, this could work well for you as well:)
Thanks Al,

I’ll pass on the open baffle because I don’t see that melding very well with the horns in the mid-range. Although, I think I’m starting to get a grasp on the concepts behind the TL type designs. The TL designs are trying to juggle characteristics seen in a few different design topologies all in one box.

Still have some sorting out to do.
Rodd Yamashita

Hi Rodd,

Do you have considered building a classic Klipsch corner horn for the low end? There is a building plan somewhere on the net and even the old original articles of Paul Klipsch are out there.

IMO a horn system does not mature very well with a non-horn system in one set-up

;)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Pjotr said:
Hi Rodd,

Do you have considered building a classic Klipsch corner horn for the low end? There is a building plan somewhere on the net and even the old original articles of Paul Klipsch are out there.

IMO a horn system does not mature very well with a non-horn system in one set-up

;)
Pjotr,

Yes, I have considered corner horns, although I would lean more toward the JBL Hartsfield design (similar). They are just too large and inflexible in there placement for my tastes. I have given some thought to a mid-base horn with a cut-off in the 80 to 100Hz. My idea would be to design a mid-bass version of the JBL 077 slotted horn. I believe this can be designed into a reasonable (manageable) size enclosure. The enclosure complexity would be on the same level as one of these TL enclosures, and it would have all the dynamics. The slot design would allow it to run well up into the mid-range. I really need to look into it more, but I just haven’t done anything about it yet.

Rodd Yamashita

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: ? for Planet10 on rolloff

mashaffer said:
n reviewing this thread I just noticed your comment on being able to vary the order of rolloff of a TL. I have noticed different slopes when simulating TLs but have not been able to figure out what causes some to have such a gradual rolloff. Could you expound on the variables involved?

Mostly determined by how much damping material you use... with the goal of getting maximum bass you want as little stuffing as possible which gives the classic double hump as seen in a BR... as you add more stuffing the bottom peak should reduce in size... add enuff and it will dissapear and you will see a LF reponse essentially the same as the IB response (but with the added benefit of having a non-resonant enclosure as per Bailey.

dave

planet10 said:

Yes, to us Canadians PT is sometimes embarrassing...

dave

I think you're mixing up C. Da Matta with Sebastien Bourdais. Cristiano sustained severe head injuries at last month's test at Road America...coming over the blind crest to turn six, he hit a deer at ~90mph. The deer literally didn't touch the car, just CdM's helmut. Anyway, after emergancy surgery, and a 3 week coma, he's awake and recovering. I'm doubtful that he'll ever race again.

Sorry to take the thread OT.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
pedroskova said:
he hit a deer at ~90mph. The deer literally didn't touch the car, just CdM's helmut.

opps... PT is still embarrassing irregardless... i have hit a deer at 70 kph... fortunately in the truck so it just made a green mess....

up here on the mountain deer are more numerous than rabbits... we even have a regular named Carly. Loves having apples tossed her way.

A montage from the back deck recently

dave

Attachments

• deers.jpg
    deers.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 227
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.