"Tired2way" speaker building.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
:) yes Salas, looking rather nice.....

Attachments

• speaker35.jpg
    speaker35.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 421
Salas, they play better now, it is a slight difference but better. I will of course give a full review later, I have been working very hard the last days to be ready tonight so I really need to rest, lol.
I have listened to the middle range and it sounds perfect to my taste, very neutral and melts into the sound picture so to say. I will not damp any more, it works very good as you did it :) (of course! lol). The stands will be black to match like you said. Thanks a lot Salas for your help, you have done a great job (and your friend!) with the speakers!

Yes that is nice, Zvuchniak. I am in no hurry with the stands since they work good as is, but of course I will do that later.
I listened some tonight and I could just say this: it is better than my Revel!
I sounds more relaxed and with more potent bass over all, although my Revel has a snappier kind of bass sometimes mabye, but it is not as neutral I think (a little boosted before it rolls of maybe, some like that). The Revel are also harder to place in the room since they need more space to the back wall.
The bass is much better now when everything is in place, it is just right, not that trying to impress boosted bass lift that some speakers got, it just sounds potent without taking over. I am glad I had some discussion with Salas regarding this and stick to that 2.5mH coil, it works very good now with the finished cabinet. Middle range: blends perfectly into the sound, I was afraid my small adjustments/ideas would destroy what I had but it has not, a good balance act. The treble: sometimes you don´t think of it at all which is a good thing I believe, and when it got some "sparkle" in the recordings it comes alive. Also the transition between tweeter and woofer is hard to notice as it should be. I give a big thumbs up for this one, Salas and Miklos (I hope that is the right name :D) can be very proud of it!
I should also mention I now use my "real" speaker cables (Nordost Red Dawn rev2), I used the internal cabel type for speaker cable earlier, but I have not compared them directly yet.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Some day convenient I will photograph and describe a tall black speaker with 4x 6.5inch ported bass cab, with 8 inch dipole hemp 250Hz-10kHz and short ribbon on top octave that I developed for my friend downstairs that plays with an Audio Research VT200. ~91dB/1W. Difficult impedance though.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Difficult for rooms, costly enough, they thrive on big amps, hemp bicone is NOS, its woofers Audax non available anymore. Ribbon is current. Just for box & dipole hybrid ideas to show. Yours which is a practical one turned out very nice. Bravo.

I am glad you liked my efforts, I really wanted them to be as good as possible without taking too much time to realize. I will be happy with these.
If I would start a new speaker project I was thinking a 3-way trying to design myself, but I know that it is very time consuming and I have to study for the knowledge needed so I will leave that until maybe one day I want to try.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.