• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tips for rebuilding this amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
rdf said:
You'll probably find B+ rises further still when you reduce the current through the EL84s.
I found a 100 ohm, 5 watt part in the toolbox, so I put that in. I think it probably need something more like the 120~150 you suggested, but I didn't have anything like that on hand.

I took some more careful measurements this time. The right tube is running 329V at the plate. B+ is 341V. The OPT measures 302 ohm. This puts the idle current at 39.7 mA, correct?

The left tube is 325V at the plate. B+ is the same. OPT is 288 ohm. Idle current is 55.6 mA? By the way, the left tube is still showing signs of distress.

I imagine I need to get something bigger than 100 ohms in there for the shared cathode resistor, but I am concerned that the mismatch in the tubes appears to have become worse instead of better. Last time I guessed they were idling at 40mA / 52mA. Now the right tube seems the same, but the left has gotten worse? I must be missing something...

Where's the "I'm stupid" icon?

I figured for all the times I've taken the tubes in and out of this little amp, chances are I would have swapped left for right by now. Nope. This time I deliberately made sure I put the left tube in the right socket, and vice versa. Sure enough, the faint glow moved to the other side.

Boy do I feel dumb.

I guess I either need to get a pair of tubes that match, or I need to build separate biasing circuits for each side. Where I can buy a couple of sixty cent resistors without spending $5 to ship them?

Well, I've got a pile of these Russian 6n14n tubes, so I decided to start swapping them in and out and try to measure them. I quickly realized that any absolute measurements were impossible due to the shared cathode arrangement. All I could tell was that this tube pulled more current than that tube. Anyway, after a while I was able to find a pair that were pretty close. They're at least within 10% of each other. At the time I estimated one was pulling 45mA while the other was 47mA. This was with a plate voltage of ~327V and probably around 9V (?) at the cathode.

With this pair installed, both tubes had a faint, gentle glow to the plates. I'm guessing they were both being overdriven, about 14~15 watts plate dissipation on a tube rated for 12 watts. At least they were relatively balanced.

Today I took another step to try to determine what to do next. I checked the line voltage - it's about 124 VAC. For some reason, I seem to remember it was only 110 when I was a kid. I guess everyone suffers inflation. I borrowed a Variac and plugged in the amp. Turning down the line voltage to about 112 VAC, things seem to look much better. I can't say I see the plates glowing any more. Plate voltages are down to just a hair under 300V. Idle currents are about 40mA, give or take a milliamp or two. One tube is a half watt over 12, the other is a half watt under.

So, short of keeping it plugged into the Variac all the time (which really isn't an option), what do I do next? As an interesting side note, the power transformer now runs cool enough to keep your hand on it indefinitely. Previously, it was hot enough that you could touch it for 4 seconds, but not 8.

So, short of keeping it plugged into the Variac all the time (which really isn't an option), what do I do next?

Replace the 82 Ohm Resistor between the 6CA4's cathode and the 1st filter cap. with a 100 Ohm part. If that's not enough extra resistance to lower the B+ sufficiently, try a higher value. An inexpensive inductively wound part will give you a tad more filtering. $1.79 buys "Rat Shack" Catalog # 271-135, which is 2 pieces 100 Ohms/10 W.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.