Tips/Assistance building new sub box!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hmm ok im not sure im quite following what you guys are saying completely.

so i should look into constructing a TL [TQWT] / T-TQWT type box/cabinet.

what other important aspects do i need to take note of? you mentioned 50" ports or something and XO at 80hz (cross over point i assume???). is this setup as good for music also. although music isnt my primary requirement, i still would like it to be suitable if possible.

basically, where do i start?

thanks guys

alrighty, ill look into how to tune the box lower.

Im still assuming a favorable setup is the TL [TQWT] / T-TQWT type box/cabinet for this? And when you say tuning a box, thats playing with the Hz yes?

And whilst yes this is for movies, its not exclusively for movies, I guess I want a well rounded response for anything, but more favoring the movies, if that complicates it too much/hybrid type boxes are ridiculous to make etc. then no dramas.

how do i check a good tuning level? for the box?

also, update, there is a possibility i will have !2! of the drivers instead of one now :)

You're welcome!

Well, they certainly are viable options same as the simple pipe horn I suggested if the space permits and will yield more performance than a typical vented or sealed alignment. Again though, until you tell us how much space you're willing to allocate and/or build complexity..........

Right, simple vented cabs require the vent being able to handle whatever power from the amp it's likely to 'feel' at the cab's tuning frequency [Fb] without overloading, so lacking any other value, I simmed based on the driver's 360 w rating which dictates a rather large diameter vent for the cab's net volume [Vb] which in turn must be very long and why I suggested taking the cab's + vent's volume and converting [morphing] it into a tapered pipe [TQWT].

A tapped variant is what bjorno had previously suggested and I missed. All it is, is a TQWT folded back on itself such that both the front and rear output of the driver is utilized, making it acoustically a 6th order band-pass [BP]. For movies though, I recommend it be longer/larger to tune it lower.

Right, an 80 Hz crossover [XO] is the standard for home theater apps [HT], though it can be higher or lower of course if need be. Your main speaker's bass capability, room acoustics and sub-woofer design dictates the optimum XO point/slope.

A good HT set-up is best overall for music since it allows one to listen to all types of recorded music, even 16 Hz pipe organ symphonies if desired; whereas a typical better music only system may at most only handle down to 32 Hz, with many rolling off below 40-55 Hz since most recorded music has little output below this range.

GM

ok i want it tuned low for movies because of effects such as explosions etc. that typically arent found in music? is this the basic theory behind this? and i dont have *heaps* of room, but i am willing to try and push the limits, if i can somehow integrate it into the actual TV cabinet that would be the best outcome i think, although if i did this it would most likely mean it would be in the corner somewhere, which i think you mentioned brings up some problems perhaps??

also, can i mess around with the actual box shape? does it have to be a certain shape and/or design or can i build it to 'worm' around other things to slightly conceal it, as long as the Vb is correct, its tuned to a suitable amount, and i have the adequate clearance for the port?

and i think im posting too quickly for your response because of the waiting time for moderation of the post haha :D thanks again guys!!

You're welcome!

Correct, along with the pipe organs just to say you can. They make for pretty impressive demos if nothing else, especially once you move into a space where you can crank them a bit.

??? Don't see anything to imply any problems with corner loading beyond the ceiling height limiting fold length and of course if laying down on the floor the distance between walls would be the limiting factor. I prefer corner loading, especially if using just a single sub, but can work well with multiple subs too.

Here's some Whitepapers on multiple speaker system design, implementation: Harman - White Papers

Yes, you can 'worm' around a long pipe/horn, but you must maintain its expansion rate fairly closely or it won't perform as predicted and in some cases perform so poorly it must be scrapped. The lower it's tuned and XO'd though, the less critical it is since the wave-lengths [WLs] are so long/large that it takes a serious restriction [or multiple smaller ones] to audibly affect it.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.