tiny amplifier.. big speaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
More likely melt your speakers. Or set them on fire. I don't know any speaker that is rated to handle 40 KW. Anyone have an example?
The Matterhorn is a 40-driver, 40 kW self-powered Tom Danley designed single tapped horn subwoofer which can produce 105 dB of output at 250 meters, with a response -3 dB at 12 Hz.
That is about 153 dB at one meter, 123 at 31 meters (100 feet).

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/matterhorn.htm

Art

This thread, or a least the first post, is a great illustration of how poorly most people understand speakers. Realflow has good company on this one, the vast majority of the general population! :)

Speakers aren't light bulbs, and they aren't motorcars. They just don't work the same way and are not rated or specified in the same way. Maybe the forum needs a FAQ explaining this.

I know one guy who thought that audio was DC. :rolleyes:

I told him different.

"no 1 watt is not extremely loud. "

There must be a language problem here, many of the speakers mentioned here are 100dB/W and higher, and you don't think that is loud?

That's loud in my book.

that is theory, only real speakers in real environments counts. I have tried a lot in my time including PA. A fullrange system will never be extremely loud, and will never (never say never I know, but almost never) exceed 95-98 dB sensitivity. And especially in PA you have a wider dynamic range, that the amplifier need to support. So a 1 watt RMS amplifier will never be extremely loud.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.