Tinnitus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You should hear the rimshots my brother does without wearing protection, they hurt!!!!!

Bob,
Yeah, I know what you mean... Pro-Mark oak marching sticks doing a rim-shot on a cranked snare head- that is the very definition of pain!

Thankfully, I don't suffer from the "early distortion" effect many of you do. My wife does, however. Some moron at her high school (music teacher) was setting up PA gear, and she happened to be in front of the speaker when a massive burst of feedback came through. I think someone should have been held responsible for that... it has affected her hearing permanently!

-NS

Hammer on Metal

I can relate to the problem of ear damage from striking metal with a hammer. Even though, in my younger years, I blasted my audio, the former scenario is what has permantently damaged my right ear. It has gradually gotten better over the years with dilgence, but that ear still has a low threshhold of pain and rings easily with elevated sound levels, especially higher pitched tones.

So, be careful. Like someone mentioned, save your hearing so that when you can get a pure- sounding audio system, you may be able to enjoy it.

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
I don't have any Tinnitus that I know of, but I have been having some sleeping problems lately with the HF noises from all of my computer and electronics equipment. Over the past 6 months, I have started to realize how much HF noise that I am constantly bombarded with. When I was living in a college dorm, I would sleep in a room full of a several computers (at one time during the year, my roommate and I had 5 computers combined in a small 12'x15' dormroom). I had no problem sleeping then. Now that I am living in an apartment, I can't sleep if any electronic device is on in my room. I even have to put my wrist watch across the room (seiko analog watch). My television sometimes bothers me now when I am watching it (all televisions put a great HF noise).

Also, at work, I can walk into various offices and tell about how many computers are running. (all have the same cases and stuff)

I am just confused how this just started bothering me over the last 6 months. I never even realized it before. I also like music at lower volumes now then before. I used to crank it music loud, but over the last couple of months, I have been content with lower volumes...

Anyone had similar experiences?

--
Brian

HF noize from electronics??

BrianGT,

all televisions put a great HF noise
I'm also extremely bothered by the HF noise TV sets put out. In the moment I can't think of any other HF noise sources that loud.

If you notice how loud our whole environment is, it's no wonder that some people with more sensible ears at some point get tinnitus.

On the other hand, sound isolation gets better and better, an example that comes to my mind is the CPU watercooling system of a friend of mine. The pump he uses for his water circuit is so quiet, that even if you switch off all fans of the computer, you can hardly tell if it's working or not. compared to the sound level of the CD-ROM and HD drives, the "noise" is inaudible.

Or take fridges for example: My parents just bought a new one, and that bastard doesn't make any sound at all!!!

It's all about design! :spin:

:D

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
In terms of televisions, my roommate picked up one of those new Sony 27" WEGA televisions, and we had to return it, since the HF noise was so bad. The normal sony televisions don't seem too bad. At home, my parents Sharp television in the kitchen is quite bad also. The 36" WEGA television is much quieter then the 27". I don't understand why.

HF noise is another concern when buying televisions. Low HF noise is more important to me then the picture quality (within reason).

My parent old fridge is annoying, but the big fridge in my apartment now isn't bad. Back in the dorm days, we had 3 dorm fridges (beer fridge, food fridge and freezer) in our bathroom, as they made too much noise to put in the main room. (and we had a big bathroom).

--
Brian

I dont suffer from tinnitus or any hearing disorder for now (im 16) and i hope i never wont..
I hear some things a lot of others doesnt (they are all deap:p), i can tell from my room in upper floor if TV in down floor is running and at night i hear if our family cat walks (it creates almost inaudible soft sound with foots)..

Sometimes i come from the club where music is played at very high volumes I hear a tone (ringing) in my ears, next day its all back to normal and i hear perfect silence when i dont have any music and devices on.. I know i cant continue this for lots of years if i want good hearing when im older.

I hear hf noise from various devices too, i cant watch a Goldstar tv at my grandparents because its hf noise is so annyoing.
In TVs I think hf noise comes from switching supplies which operates at 16khz in majority of them, so if the TV is quieter then its sw supply must be operating above 20khz (i cant hear a lot of hf from some TVs and i think they are using 50 or 100khz sw supplies)..

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I am just confused how this just started bothering me over the last 6 months. I never even realized it before. I also like music at lower volumes now then before. I used to crank it music loud, but over the last couple of months, I have been content with lower volumes...

Same. I just can't handle music up loud now - it's like premature listening fatigue, after only a few seconds/minutes.

I tried Ginko Biloba for a while when I was really bad, and I found that it helped - I'm not sure if it was placebo effect, but it was real to me.

As someone else mentioned, I also find that stress and diet affect my tinnitus.

About 5 years ago I had a baseline measurement done. By all reports my ears are both pretty much flat in their response out to better than 18k with no hassles. I've always been bugged by the flyback trannie noise from TV's. I think it's at about 16k. could hear my parents turn on a telly from the opposite end of the house, even if the sound was down low.

So there we are. Good hearing, good high frequencies.

The downside is that I've had tinnitus for as long as i can remember. May date from a stupid experiment with fireworks in 1987. (I'm 30 now). Can't remeber a time when I didn't have it.

If I had to get specific Id say that my tinnitus is even across both ears and is a 3 note chord in the very high frequencies. Fortunately, it's at a low enough level that it only bothers me in moments of complete silence.

Take care of the ears. you don't notice til lthe damage is already done.

Drew

I can relate here as ive had tinnitus since i was around 14 or 15 and am 43 now, mine is a constant ringing in both ears that only goes away when i sleep :) . sometimes it is so loud that the only relief i can get from it is lisening to music loud enough to drown it out. i sleep with a radio on, the noise in the backgorund distacts me so i dont notice the ringing.
when i was in my youth i truely believed that louder was better, music,motorcycles,cars,guns,ect ect ect. i quit drinking 13 years ago (had to go to work :) ) and it has not improved any although it hasnt gotten any worse, coffee seems to affect it so i take it easy on the java.
i still enjoy music and i know i am not hearing some of the higher tones, but then again i cant miss what i have never heard :)

cheers..............mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.