Time To Try Open Baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
gvinson said:
I'm going to have to re-read Linkwitz's information. I seam to remember that he stated the high-Q drivers, needed less EQ but had significant other issues, and that in the end, lower Q was still the better choice with additional EQ. Am i missing something?

I also remember a flame going on in another recent thread over this very same issue....High Q vs lower Q drivers. Someone had apparently built a system using four cheap 15" pro drivers and made great claims about the performance down low, while others with more experience were saying No Way.

Regards...

Ribbon Project

I've made some nice soundsing dipoles using moderate Q woofers (Qts = 0.56, Fs = 25hz) and they sounds excelent with moderate EQ. I've got them in an H-Frame with 6db/oct Digital EQ and they're flat to 30hz in room.

--Chris

Well these are only supposed to be the experimentation stage of my open baffle adventure! I didn't want to send huge sums on drivers before I knew I could make it work for me.

Plus I really want to go down the passively EQ'd route if I can.

I have also read the huge battle of opinions over the high Qts Vs. low Qts, and oh my!

I'm in no hurry so I'll have a go with these cheap as you like drivers and then move on to something more expensive wuth a lower Qts and higher SQ later on....... I'll be able to see for myself which is better.

The experiences of others are all well and good...... but you really need to try things for yourself!

I've made some nice soundsing dipoles using moderate Q woofers (Qts = 0.56, Fs = 25hz) and they sounds excelent with moderate EQ. I've got them in an H-Frame with 6db/oct Digital EQ and they're flat to 30hz in room.

I don't want to steal the thread, but can you elaborate a little. What path length are you using, what drivers, what SPL are you able to achieve, at what SQ results????

Thanks!

Ribbon Project

Mutley666 said:
Plus I really want to go down the passively EQ'd route if I can.

I have also read the huge battle of opinions over the high Qts Vs. low Qts, and oh my!

Hi,

I'll just note electrostatics and mageneplanars routinely use bass Q's
of around 3 to extend bass response, this of course defines a sharp
cut-off (18dB/octave) below the bass resonance.

Also the reason for Quad ESL surprisingly (to some) poor bass power handling.

One things for certain, high Q open baffle bass alignments have lower
bass power handling than you'd expect, conversely pretty good efficiency.
But in the end the amount of low bass depends on cone area and excursion.

Also note that low DCR (expensive) inductors are not necessary,
assuming a DCR of around 1 ohm the Q will go up to ~ 1.

Mutley666 said:
Maybe I'll keep these cheap woofers and spend the money on some Excel mid/woofers instead.

Suggest you investigate these drivers :

http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker12.html

Allthough not stated in the article, Zaph usually has details
of a crossover without beffle step, which could be useful.
Mailing him could be an idea.

edit : or this combo of drivers :
http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker17.html
Which definetely has a reduced baffle step crossover available.

:)/sreten.

Re: Re: Re: Time To Try Open Baffle

Raka said:
What would be the effect of this asimetric arrangement in the polar response??

Hi,

Unsurprisingly the polar response will also be assymetric.

At a given polar angle a (real) dipoles front to back cancellation
descreases with increasing frequency or increases as you go
down in frequency (6dB/octave in the baffle loss region).

The position of thse curves will be different on the various axis.
e.g. 30 degrees left, right,up, down.

The major differences will be in the transition region, as baffle
loss begins to take effect and the baffle size interacts strongly
with the wavelength of the sound.

At high frequencies the polar response of all axis will be identical.

Hope this answers your question.

As I see it, the major advantage of the dipoles are the radiation pattern control, and a homogenous polar diagram as a target (including of course the xover points). If you use asimetrical arrangements, I can't see how you would get it unless you put all the drivers in the same vertical line.
Any way, it's interesting, maybe it can be done. I don't know.

The diffraction, understood as the effect that introduces ripple in the frecuency response, hasn't been a problem with my 3 way dipoles.

Hi guys

One thing about open-baffle bass that I have not seen mentioned in a long time is that it is better not to have OB bass below the lowest room mode of your listening room. Thorsten was the first one (that I read about) that suggested using OB bass down to the lowest room mode and then use sealed, LT bass below that. Aperiodic (LT-ed) or IB bass could also work. Apparently it loads the room better. Any comments on this?

Deon

DeonC said:
Hi guys

One thing about open-baffle bass that I have not seen mentioned in a long time is that it is better not to have OB bass below the lowest room mode of your listening room. Thorsten was the first one (that I read about) that suggested using OB bass down to the lowest room mode and then use sealed, LT bass below that. Aperiodic (LT-ed) or IB bass could also work. Apparently it loads the room better. Any comments on this?

Deon

I expirienced this behavior, the lowest reasonable reproduced wave length is round about double the largest room dimension.

Stephan

Raka said:
As I see it, the major advantage of the dipoles are the radiation pattern control, and a homogenous polar diagram as a target (including of course the xover points). If you use asimetrical arrangements, I can't see how you would get it unless you put all the drivers in the same vertical line.

Two effects should be separated:
The figure 8-erasement in the dipole plane is fully independent from the baffle shape or the position of the driver on that baffle - as long as every given point on the baffle edge has equal distance to the front- and back-side of the driver.

Superimposed on this is edge diffraction - a different game. With unsymmetrical position of the driver on the baffle it will lead to an unsymmetric polar response. That can very well be a desired design target.

Raka said:

The diffraction, understood as the effect that introduces ripple in the frecuency response, hasn't been a problem with my 3 way dipoles.

Hi,

You would put all the drivers vertically.

In practise at the bass mid crossover point its hard to not effectively
mount the drivers vertically whatever the midrange position offset.

This leaves the midrange and tweeter, and both should be
carefully spaced from the edges to minimise diffraction ripples.
You can do this and still maintain vertical alignment.

If needs be you can make the baffles mirror images.

Minimising the ripples in the on axis response also minimises the
ripples in the off axis response, which is far more important than
assymetries in the polar responses.

All that happens in terms of polar responses in that the baffle
appears to slightly larger on one hand of the responses.

I'm sorry but I can not see how to maintain an 8 pattern constant with frequency if you don't put the drivers in the very same vertical line.

I attach a very dirty image to explain myself. It's the top view, I mean, your head is on the ceiling.

PS : Yes, of course the ripples are important off axis, but in my short experience those get smoothed off axis.

Attachments

• borrame.jpg
    borrame.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 334
Hi,

if the offset of the mid driver is very small compared to the wavelength
the mid and bass crossover, then in your top down view, acoustically
the drivers will be very close together.

The typical placement of the mid unit is 0.6 of baffle width, so
we are talking about an offset of 0.1 baffle width, it's not a lot.

I believe that the recommendation pointed out by Deon is that you want to avoid going dipole below the "on axis room mode". In my room that just happens to be the long dimension and it is the one that has concrete boundaries. Dipole (figure 8) or U-baffle (cardoid) are very problematic at the on axis mode and it has nothing to do with driver alignment. The effects of this mode are much more pronounced, I believe, because of the greatly reduced energy along the other axes. If my listening position was oriented another way, that lowest mode wouldn't matter, because it wouldn't be stimulated.

Raka said:
I'm sorry but I can not see how to maintain an 8 pattern constant with frequency if you don't put the drivers in the very same vertical line.

Raka,

of cause every driver has its own figure 8 pattern as you already pictured. Along the hearing axis the offset of the drivers has some influence, yes - in the same way as a closed box would have.
But for the erasement in the dipole plane it really does not matter, how far the distance between the two drivers is.

So the detrimental effect of two drivers not aligned vertically on the baffle is zero in the dipole plane and maximum at 90° from there.

May be this doesn´t explain much, but it´s difficult for me to find the appropriate words in english. :(

What I see is that for a given frequency the 8 figure won't be simmetrical, but something like the drawing I'm attaching now.

I continue thinking of it, but this is the only figure I imagine. Anyway, I'm a bit tired...

Attachments

• borrame.jpg
    borrame.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 216
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.