TI TPA3100D2, Amazing Class D Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been reading about these things and it sounds like my rookie mistake was to not discharge the capacitor. It wasn't even plugged into the main board at the time or the mains so that side is okay. I may even be able to just wire up the main board directly. I suspect that the thing that popped is the scr that i think is used to swap between the battery input and the mains.

Heya kp, yea I'm okay with it, it was a rookie mistake to not discharge the capacitor before working on the board, it wasn't plugged into the other main board or the mains at the time. There's a scr and zener diode on there that Jan says may have blown. This is a photo of the smaller board:-

https://picasaweb.google.com/115993...hkey=Gv1sRgCOqqr4HmqtOUcQ#5787387733677698610

not sure how I'll work out or remove the tiny components on the top of the circuit board.

Is there a good thread on diyaudio or another forum where I could get some help, don't want to clutter this one up with my ramblings..

Updates, from whom?
My TPA3100D2 implementation is working fine, have it running all day & night. It drives my Dynaudio Gemini speakers very well. For a class "D" amp, used for casual listening, at realistic volumes, it is a fine chip.
I'd like to try out the TPA3118 family as well. Anyone else try out this part?
Rick

I recently build a linear regulated power supply based on this circuit from Just one thing about music - when it hits you feel no pain . I use the 3 pin regulator part 4 description and replace lm318 with lm338 . The trans is about 250 W , 22V ac out . There is a snubber of 0.47r + 47 UF at the output of the regulated supply -- this is the value based on the circuit for regulated gainclones by Carlos FM.
the sound is more tube like and holographic when compared to smps laptop power supply.

cheers

kp93300

Hi
This are the motor run cap that use. Rather cheap parts.
I tuned it by ear. The 2 biggest caps are the motor run caps with values 0f 1 uf and 5 uf.

The second picture is a more effective upgrade in my view.
I parallel a 1000uf 25 v cap on the underside of the board. The 1000uf is an improvement over the 470uf.
I tried 0.1uf electro cap, 100nf polyester and 101 ceramic caps. The ceramic sound better.
The type of the bypass caps has a big impact in SQ.

You should experiment and post your findings here.
cheers

kp93300

The blue "K" on the back of your board was my signature.
Krypton is one of three local contract Mfgs that TI uses for
that sort of board. You just got lucky...

Anyways, my own impression is that they do measure nice.
But I'm not ready to give up my Fisher or McIntosh over it.

----

I got amps I use in house to test controllers. And sometimes
a sleeping technician (not naming any names) will blow up
the occasional in house test amp. If I have to replace a chip
that's surrounded by through hole electrolytic caps, I will try
to have them moved to the back (like your mod) if possible.
Its easier to rework the chip if you aren't surrounded by tall
heat-vulnerable caps.

Last edited:
This is the simple regulated power supply for the amp.

Attachments

• lm 338 ps.jpeg
    lm 338 ps.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 890
Hi kenpeter
glad to know that the designer of the board is here in the forum!
Thanks for the fine amp . Such good value .
any suggestions on mods to take it to another level ?

regards

kp93300

I don't design or build anything, just senior test monkey...
I tested your board to TI procedure after it was assembled.

This is what my desk looks like, with one of my own amps.
Chinese triode, obviously not a TI amp in this picture.
Actually, this is my High Voltage test station, not AP2722.
Your board would have tested at a different workstation.

Attachments

• DC_Check.jpg
    DC_Check.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 850
Last edited:
Sorry, can't go there...
I can't reveal those details of TI test procedure is what I mean...
TI spec is the official measurement, else I contact the engineer.

I could "compare", I just don't know the competition's stuff.
I'd be interested to play with one of those some day.

Last edited:
Sorry I have been absent. I came across the TPA3110 amp at Part Express and have been using it ever since (I fried my TPA3100D2 - too many mods!). The 3110 is lower powered but sounds FANTASTIC. And it's $10!!!!!. Ten freakin' dollars. And no the Tripath chips do not IMO come close in sound quality. All I have done is swapped the PS caps - which I HIGHLY recommend doing. These TPA chips have incredible potential. The 3110 sounds as good as any amp as I have had in my home, which is granted a very modest setup - I can't afford $$$ gear. But I have built tube amps, IR2092 amps, Tripath, regular SS, receivers, etc... I would love to try the new 3116/8, etc. Hopefully next year I will have time to focus on a proper diy PCB build (sorry I could not commit Jean-Paul) and audiophile power supply. These TPA chips - at least these two I have heard - have so much potential. The end goal is to build an F5 and TPA amp and compare. At the very least the 3110 and 3100D2 compete with the IR2092 and solid state amps I have owned <$1k. Within their power limits of course.

Just my .02. Hope to make some headway next year. Happy Holidays.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.