TI PCM1792 vs AnalogDevices AD1955.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AKM?

Anyone ever listened or compared AKM DAC chips?

Honestly, from everything I hear the ESS chip is ahead of the game for the moment, and *appears* to be the DAC to beat. I'm seriously considering getting a buffalo once I have some time to spend on another project.

AKM just released (is soon releasing?) a new AK4399, 32-bit DAC with advertised 126dB SNR & -105 THD+N (no idea what test conditions) No datasheet yet that I've seen, just the advance info in their 2009 catalog. I've heard it said that the 4396/97 are not bad, so it makes me wonder how they compare to TI, AD, wolfson, etc...

-Chris

P.S. - I have no DIY experience with the TI or AD. However I have a Lavry DA10 that I think sounds great. (AD1955)

Re: AKM?

eclectic2k said:

Honestly, from everything I hear the ESS chip is ahead of the game for the moment, and *appears* to be the DAC to beat. I'm seriously considering getting a buffalo once I have some time to spend on another project.

AKM just released (is soon releasing?) a new AK4399, 32-bit DAC with advertised 126dB SNR & -105 THD+N (no idea what test conditions) No datasheet yet that I've seen, just the advance info in their 2009 catalog. I've heard it said that the 4396/97 are not bad, so it makes me wonder how they compare to TI, AD, wolfson, etc...

For what i know the 4397 sounds much better than the 4396.
The new AKM chip is very interesting and I would love to compare it to the ESS Sabre.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: AKM?

eclectic2k said:

-Chris

P.S. - I have no DIY experience with the TI or AD. However I have a Lavry DA10 that I think sounds great. (AD1955)

That makes the new AKM part in no way better than a decent 24 bit dac which is probably what it is internally. (Just a 32 bit interface for audio data?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.