TI buys National Semiconductor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
TI to acquire National Semiconduc​tor

Just received this email, as I'm sure many others have as well.....

Dear valued customer,

I am excited to let you know that TI has signed a definitive agreement to purchase National Semiconductor, uniting two industry leaders that have a common commitment to solving your analog needs. I want to reinforce TI's commitment to you, our customer, as we merge our two companies.

This acquisition will allow us to address your analog needs with a product portfolio of unmatched breadth and depth. National's 12,000 products plus TI's 30,000 means more performance, power and packaging options when selecting the right ICs for your application. And we'll provide a common set of best-in-class online tools to make the selection and design process easier.

Our combined sales and applications team of 2,500 will be larger than any in the industry so we can provide more customers with greater face-to-face support than ever before.

Our manufacturing operations will offer more capacity to support your growth. TI's fabs and National's available capacity can enable higher production levels.

While both companies will operate independently pending the close, our goal thereafter is to make the integration process as seamless as possible. No requalification of products will be necessary since National's manufacturing sites will continue to be utilized. Part numbers from both companies will remain the same. There will be no obsolescence of products.

I'm excited about what the integration of our two companies will mean for you: an unmatched portfolio to meet your analog needs, an extensive sales and applications network to ease the design process, and manufacturing capacity to support your growth.

You can learn more about the acquisition at TI to acquire National Semiconductor ? What this means for customers, including answers to frequently asked questions and video messages from TI leaders regarding the acquisition.

Thank you for choosing TI. I look forward to a great future together.

Best regards,

Rich Templeton
Chairman, President and CEO
Texas Instruments

Just received this email, as I'm sure many others have as well.....

yup. Work and home email.
I find it quite mind boggling really. I'm truly surprised... (or I just had not been paying attention to the market lately)

I guess you can now talk about LM4562 and OPA2134 with only one rep :D

"There will be no obsolescence of products." -- but it does make you wonder what the long term will hold... :rolleyes:

Sorry Tom, I meant NS. Been playing around with NI Multisim all day. :eek:

National Instruments "SG&A" is something akin to a cow peein' on a flat rock -- they could LBO themselves if they had the interest.

Nat Semi laid off a lot of good analog folks in the past 2 years. Probably gussying up the bride for the wedding. They stumbled in Class-D in our little realm.

TI, to its credit, has kept Burr Brown in the fore front of a lot of audio design.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yes, TI really leveraged their BB purchase (they paid $7Bln in strock for a company that was doing about $350m at the time). A lot of people thought they were crazy, but TI had steadily moved in to dominate the analog/linear space. In retrospect, the BB purchase seems like it was a good move.

I bet there a few VERY happy Natsemi execs . . . .

Lets see what happens over the next 6 months or so. Interesting times indeed.

TI to buy NatSemi for $25/share

As the header says, Texas Instruments has made an offer to buy NatSemi for $25/share, which is a 78% premium to the previous closing price of NatSemi. Good news for long-suffering Natsemi shareholders - but TI and NatSemi customers could see higher prices down the line with lower competition.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ti-national-20110405,0,5836051.story

Last edited:
This is not news, this is history and as official as it gets!

It is very sad to see TI and Vishay "purchasing" all their competitors leading the industry to monopoly. Another alarming "sign of the times" we live in!:confused:

Just 10 hours ago, I received this newsletter from TI:

Dear valued customer,

I am excited to let you know that TI has signed a definitive agreement to purchase National Semiconductor, uniting two industry leaders that have a common commitment to solving your analog needs. I want to reinforce TI's commitment to you, our customer, as we merge our two companies.

This acquisition will allow us to address your analog needs with a product portfolio of unmatched breadth and depth. National's 12,000 products plus TI's 30,000 means more performance, power and packaging options when selecting the right ICs for your application. And we'll provide a common set of best-in-class online tools to make the selection and design process easier.

Our combined sales and applications team of 2,500 will be larger than any in the industry so we can provide more customers with greater face-to-face support than ever before.

Our manufacturing operations will offer more capacity to support your growth. TI's fabs and National's available capacity can enable higher production levels.

While both companies will operate independently pending the close, our goal thereafter is to make the integration process as seamless as possible. No requalification of products will be necessary since National's manufacturing sites will continue to be utilized. Part numbers from both companies will remain the same. There will be no obsolescence of products.

I'm excited about what the integration of our two companies will mean for you: an unmatched portfolio to meet your analog needs, an extensive sales and applications network to ease the design process, and manufacturing capacity to support your growth.

You can learn more about the acquisition at TI to acquire National Semiconductor ? What this means for customers, including answers to frequently asked questions and video messages from TI leaders regarding the acquisition.

Thank you for choosing TI. I look forward to a great future together.

Best regards,

Rich Templeton
Chairman, President and CEO
Texas Instruments

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.