Throw Me a Suggestion Please!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
define "low"

The HiVi sp10 is a beast. carver uses it in the sunfire line. with some eq it could go low in that box.

what are the current port dimensions? I'm just curious what went wrong. i'm guessing it's tuned too high.

Have you tried plugging one of the ports. That will lower the port tuning.

Anything below 30Hz to me is low.

The ports were 50mm diameter by 260mm in length. Nothing really went very "wrong", but it wasn't what I had wanted. It did go kinda low and even sounded very decent in movie effects, but with music the sound was quite mushy and perhaps I went down the wrong path with a down-firing driver considering I needed it to go up to as much as 120Hz. Also, it was firing directly into another piece of MDF and reflected straight back to the driver.

I'm leaning towards a sealed enclose now as apparently the sound will be much tighter and punchier, which is what I'm after. It's also much simpler!
Front-firing seems the way to go, even if it undoes all the aesthetic design work. :(

I've got my eyes on the ScanSpeak 23W and the Seas L26ROY (thanks to HYPERTUNE).

A Seas L26ROY will work well in a box that size. VERY nice sub that can play quite high, has heaps of Xmax and low distortion.

Best thing is that it is available for a very reasonable price at HAS Audio, and you could have one in a few days.

Seas L26ROY 4 ohm (D1001-04) Subwoofer

(I ordered 2 of them last week and am expecting them any day now :) )

So how is this coming along?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.