Threshold Stasis Model 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Artie, do a search on this board and you will find all sorts of good rebuilding information and a schematic of the STASIS 2 and 3. Just to get you going, the smaller aluminum electrolytic caps are 47uf/50v, but be careful, the original Instrument Devices caps are marked on the positive side.

If your output is a little low on that side, check/replace the 470uf/6.3 axial aluminum electrolytic at the same time. ELNA Silmic II’s or something else nice will work well as replacements.

Also, be very nice to that PCB. It won't take being heavy handed and it's really easy to lift a land if you are not careful.

Where did you get the 60000uF?

You meant you have 4x60000uF 100v in your Stasis 2? Is the space enough?
I have Stasis 2 and want to recap.Thanks.
Hi.

Good luck with the stasis three. But I think I agree with others. This is a big amplifier. Simply changing the capacitors should be ok if you feel confident to do that. But If you are not experienced in soldering/working on amplifiers this is not the amplifier to practice on. If you do decide to try on your own I find the best thing to do before you dismantle anything is to mark out on a drawing the location of all the wires and nuts and bolts that you remove. I still do this and it really helps when you have made your changes and put the amplifier back together again.

Steenoe

Just for info...

When I replaced the power supply capacitors on my Stasis 2 I initially put in the same capacitance - that is 15,000uf per rail per channel. It improved the sound a lot. But I could still hear that transiants were lacking power. That is cymbols and drum rolls loacked the hard impact. I tried a different make of capacitor but found the same result.

I then read in the threshold manual that speakers below 8ohm were not recommended for the stasis 2 and as my speakers are 3 ohm I thought it worth trying to increase the capacitance to see if that might improve the sound. I initially tried 30,000uf per rail and that helped. I kept adding untill the sound stopped improving. I now run with 60,000uf per rail. I am really really impressed by the Stasis 2 amplifier.

I have tried out a few other power amps in the last few weeks for a personal comparison. I tried a KSA100, a high power A75 and and two other lots of class a 60 watt monoblocks. The threshold held its own with all of the amps and is my current favourite. It just has a natural sound with the treble, midrange and bass in proportion.

I would appreciate your help in one area if you can. My model was updated by Threshold in 1990 to stasis version e/5. The pcb is different from that shown for the stasis on other threads and I would be interested in you ( or anyone else ) has a schematic for this version. I am particularly interested as this version does not seem to have a variable resistor on the pcb to alter the bias. If no one has any information I guess I will have to back engineer and do a schematic from that.

Don

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.