Threshold SA/4e vs SA/1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have the possibility to choose from a pair of Jeff Rowland model 6 and a pair of Threshold SA-1 for bass ONLY duty. Bass system is comprised of 5 x Altec 515 Alnico 16 ohm, pr. side, in an open baffle/line source configuration.

Any thoughts on performance here? Preferences? these two amps should basically be in the same bracket as far as power is concerned.

I've had the Levinson ML-3, Krell KMA-200 Series II, JRDG Model 7 Series IV, the Model 8T and the Threshold SA/1's.
I found the JRDG model 8T in comparison with the other amps the least satisfying amp on the low registers and that's even a more expensive amp then the Model 6's.
The SA/1 got high praise from J. Gordon Holt just driving the basstowers of a Infinity Beta or RS-1 system.

Based on my own experience, the things that Jacco said and the marketvalue I would definitely go for the SA/1's.

Success!

By sheer coincidence, i managed to witness the IRS V-series abroad (in a setting as decadent as the one in the magazine advertisements of the Infinity IRS system)
The bass level of the Reference Standard V is quite an experience, in particular after having skipped breakfast.
(a shame the power magnitude of that era will likely never return)

Hi Jacco,

I know a German guy who has them for sale.
It's the Series II though.
So you can still acquire a piece of that illustrous era :D

Hi Jacco,

"As Nelson Pass stated at the beginning of this thread where I was contemplating of buying a S/550e to replace my SA/1's"

Don't do it, keep those SA1's!
I have both the S/550e and a pair of SA1's. Currently bi-amped to my ADS L1530's using the ADS C2000 external crossover. The SA1's power the mid and high...so sweet, so fluid, so warm and natural sounding. The S/550e powers the bass (woofers). Nice tight solid bass, no strain no breakup. I guess my point is that I tried using the s550/e to power the mid/highs, even tried a T400 to power the mid/highs (heck, also tried a Mark Levinson no331)...no comparison to the SA1's for the mid/highs. So if you still have your SA1's (I realize this is a very old thread), keep them. In defense, the S/550e is a super great amp, very rugged, very clean sounding, very smooth...but the SA1's are just better sounding!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.