Threshold FET-10e Phono

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2013
Paid Member
That would make it 2 MHz. I don't think a failed capacitor would cause that.

I sent the unit to Threshold a month ago, they replaced the remote power supply filter capacitors and declared it "fixed". After paying $350 for new filter cap's and a declaration of a repair, I'm now in the position of either I fix it or throw it away/store on shelf in basement forever.

Joined 2013
Paid Member
Yes, it is a Pass designed Threshold Phono section.
Here are pictures of the scope pattern for the output of the gain boards, two boards have lower voltage output as seen in the second picture.
The same scope pattern is on pins 19 & 20 (output), pins 15 &16 (comp 1), pins 17 & 18 (comp 2) on each gain board.

Attachments

• IMG_1103.JPG
    IMG_1103.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1104.JPG
    IMG_1104.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 142
Joined 2013
Paid Member
There is feedback from output to - input with the jumper set to MM. When I select MC, I get a very nice sine wave on both inputs + & - along with output. As soon as I select MM, the pattern has high freq on the - input to the gain stages. Here is a picture of the - input with the jumper on MM and two gain stages removed.

Attachments

• IMG_1105.JPG
    IMG_1105.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 189
Did Threshold replace the small electrolytic caps on the Secondary Power Regulator Boards and the one or two on the Mobo?

It sounds like whatever is happening is common to both channels, and your 10-p seems pretty similar to my FET-9 (but broken-up into more separate modules, with Op-Amp servo mechanisms maintaining the biasing rather than the earlier discrete design?)

Another thing to try might be to hook-Up some batteries or a Lab Power Supply and try injecting an external DC source of correct, regulated Voltage (one side at a time) with regulator Modules removed and see if the problem goes away (does that channel then WORK?). That could at least isolate the problem to a SECTION, then dive deeper into that section.

I’m no expert at component-level repairs / troubleshooting - but I AM a big proponent of “Divide and Conquer” where I can...

Joined 2013
Paid Member
It is not power supply issue, I have a steady +18vdc and -17.9vdc on both rails and to each of the four gain boards.
rayma - I have a pair of x10 probes which give the same scope pattern for the output, with only a 4mV input, the x1 probe works best tracing the input signal.
I ordered new polystyrene capacitors, since I suspect the .001uF (C102), because I'm going to replace caps, I'm also replacing C103, C104, C105,C106. All of these are SEC polystyrene capacitors.
I should know the results after new years.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.