Threadjacking

Let's take the interstellar cherry pie.... there is a wild (wild cherries ?) assumption here from Kean that there is no absolute connection between the pattern of the cherries inside the pie and the taste of the cherries and hence the blended taste of the different cherries within the pie and the pastry crust that forms the slice we are dished up. But how do we know this isn't true - nobody has tried to correlate the pattern with the taste - could we measure a slice from the two pies and determine if they were the same or is it impossible to correlate measured cherry pie against our perception of it's taste that we can only describe using the limits of our language ? what measurements would you make ?

I suppose it is true that a cubic pattern of cherries rather than hexagonal would have less density of cherries therefore a different balance of tastes. Hexagonal cherry packing would in fact not leave room for any other ingredients, so the pie would be quite strong depending of course on the cherries used.

My earlier misconception was because I assumed you meant a randomized pattern, with the implication that certain unique patterns would have correspondingly unique properties. I had not considered geometric patterns as it did not come naturally to think that cherries themselves would assume a geometric pattern.

Well now you mention it, geometric packing of cherries within the pie would be an interesting option and could include interstitials but I suspect that the guey stuff that usually goes along with the cherries as part of the pie filling might complicate this and add higher harmonic taste elements.

We were looking for replacement parts for a vintage Osterizer 825W blender today. The original glass jar is nowhere to be found so it must have been broken. So far we've been using mason jars which have the same threading. The blade leaks and rattles when shaken. The gasket is dried out but surprisingly doesn't crack.

We were wondering whether a cheap modern blender would outperform this one. My brother suggested that more power was the main thing, but I'm sure a lot more must matter. For instance the Osterizer takes care not to mount the motor directly to the chassis. It also has a rubber decoupler between the blade and motor. This all must be important for energy transfer. Not to mention motor speed vs force and inertia.

Of course at 825W this might outperform anything reasonably cheap outright.

I wonder what would be the tune-up procedures on the motor and what kind of grease I should use. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to remove the old decoupler which is stuck on.

nhUHJh4.png