Threadjacking

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
:D..

Well I guess it depends if you have tried making ash trays out of 78's..Heat and band into a dish...:p

Blue peter <<<(kids program) Valerie Singleton was ace at it and clocks...LMAO

Do you remember the One eyed purple people eater..
Sheb Wooley - Purple People Eater (1958) - YouTube

We had a copy with a worn hole the wow made it sound better.. :D It was oval..

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
We had,

an old HMV SE tube with N78..

It had an auto loader trouble is if you stacked more than about 4 it would drop two onto the platter and move the arm about an inch into the record..

If the hole was worn it might drop a 78 onto the arm on the playing record and stuff the stylus..
Yes great days.. I remember the coversation with my dad about an LP that had stereophonic recording written on it ..so we took a chance and bought it ..well our record player was mono you know...

78 at its best...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-lJZiqZaGA <<<only joking

LMAO it drives you nuts just to listen to it.....Oh my life ..get me outa here... :D

Great days..

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
There were,

some good tracks..that came from the 50's

Russ conway side saddle ...pelix penguin and others..

Yes great days...the smell of the warm tolex and tone control.. volume up ccccccSSSSS...ours played 45's quite well the theme to the persuaders.
Remember these..in the 70's Terry Dactyl and the Dinosaurs..sea side shuffle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkXDBk0mcyk

Sorry slipping into a nostalgia trip...

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
I've got several guinea pigs. It's a lemon agouti. Is your's a cover from a psychedelic rock album :warped:?

FLAC is excellent, especially 96KHz 24 bit FLAC (although almost everyone cannot tell the difference). But of course you can't match the 'warm analogue sound' of a 78rpm shellac record (preferably with incorrect equalisation and a crystal pickup)...

Chris, performance is measured mainly in terms of...

• Distortion Vinyl (at best) = 0.1%, CD = 0%
  • Frequency response Vinyl (at best) = 20Hz - 25KHz, CD = (practically) 0-22KHz
  • CD = Flat frequency response, Vinyl's frequency response is as flat as gravel...
  • And of course SN ratio Vinyl (at best) = 60dB CD = 90dB
Red book audio outperforms vinyl in EVERY SINGLE ONE (except high frequency response, and only marginally) of these aspects. If you want to know why some LPs sound better than some CDs then look up 'loudness war', if the some idiot producers didn't master CDs with so much dynamic range compression, then vinyl would be extinct by now, if they were still making compact cassettes then people would be still using them because of this.

Haha, radiograms were not the best music reproducers with their 'no feedback class a' output stage. Was it it the black and silver RCA victor 'new orthophonic high fidelity' label? I have Island in the Sun/Coconut Woman by Belafonte that I should upload at some point...

Also, I sometimes listen to 78rpm discs because they can sound better than the ultra muddy clinical clean insane noise reduction CD releases...

Tennesee Ernie Ford - Shotgun Boogie (78RPM) HQ Audio - YouTube

I'm always amused when I hear "There's something about the sound of vinyl that's so much better than digital..." - yeah, recording studios didn't have so many compressors daisy-chained together and set on "flatline" back then.

And nowadays "digital" means a downloaded file, as opposed to a Compact Disc...

Some CDs have good dynamic range, others unfortunately not. People who compare vinyl to 128kbps MP3 and say it sounds better are right, but MP3 isn't a high fidelity audio format.

Anyway, with more and more awareness about the Loudness War is meaning more and more recordings are being released with more dynamic range, as well as more and more vinyl being cut from the CD master means that the vinyl vs. CD argument will soon be over.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
The Harry Belafonte song,

Was from way back when I was a child...The label was black and silver can't remember the name could be RCA... It was played with a crystal cartridge on a very old auto changer..SE tube using N78 output valve...Yes it was very poor but what memories..:)

I use Linn LP12....cyrus CD...meridian DAC...ipod. Tube output 6c33c OTL amp at the moment.. Its all good fun:)

Regards
M. Gregg

Some interesting patents and applications.

http://www.google.com/?tbm=pts&hl=en

Psychic robots save the world.

US 20080281766 Time Machine Software

US 20090234788 Practical Time Machine Using Dynamic Efficient Virtual And Real Robots

US 20110093418 AI Time Machine

US 55321 tobacco pipe
water pipe

US 110594 tobacco pipe

US 183626 tobacco pipe

US 1579703 Smoking device

US 1826331 Method of doing away with the nicotine and the methylalcohol when smoking tobacco
3 necked bottle

US 2815030 Portable filter for cigarettes, cigars, smoking pipes and the like

US 3804100 SMOKING PIPE
piston pump

US 3805806 SMOKING APPARATUS
bottle/dome over cigarette

US 3863646 SMOKING DEVICE
Surf and Psych, Inc. College Park MD
-> 91

US 3872872 Compact water pipe
Surf and Psych, Inc. College Park MD

US D246391 Water cooled smoking device

US 4096868 Smoking apparatus and methods of constructing and utilizing same
bottle

US 4171703 Multiple bowl arrangement for water pipe or bong

US D256506 Smoking device

Last edited:

Digital audio has far superior performance than vinyl records.

quite true.

perfect sound.

forever.

but only when played back using bose® speakers.

``````````````````````````````````````````````

betcha did'n know that bose® also makes milestones® .

says so right here -

About Bose - Milestones®

®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®

Last edited: