Threadjacking

I don't know if your doctor already considered this, but you might have an irritated Vagus nerve. It's one of those primordial nerves from the brain to the internal organs, it doesn't even go down the spinal column. It connects across half you body and results in situation where one organ can affect another. For example, a bloated stomach or gall bladder issues can cause your heart to 'thud' with a missed beat. The Vagus nerve is also linked to mood/depression. The nerve links many things together in weird ways. I believe that what you eat can affect your mood - for example, missing a meal can make you feel 'down'. So it's often the case with Vagus nerve problems that you have other seemingly unrelated problems such as with your bowels (irritable bowl), acid reflux, gallbladder, lungs etc. I believe a lot of the old Chinese medicine that seems to make no sense to simple modern anatomy has roots in the behaviour of this nerve. There may be nothing wrong with your heart, but this nerve is capable of disrupting the beat regulation.
I have suffered terribly this whole gamut of symptoms (and more) for the past two decades.
I have gone down the conventional medicine route of all kinds of internal and external testings/examinations to no result.
Recently I have done some extreme twisting of my torso/spine and hold the position for one minute or so.
Vertebra have shifted their rest positions and all the awful symptoms have evaporated.
I suddenly have youthful energy restored, and increased clarity of thought, drive, and enthusiasm.

It is interesting to note that the heavy metal mercury blocks the action of acetylcholine, the neurotransmitter that passes the nerve impulse from the vagus nerve to the heart muscle. Both acetylcholine and the nerve receptors in the heart muscle contain thiol (sulfur/hydrogen) proteins. When mercury attaches to the thiol protein in the heart muscle receptors and in the acetylcholine, the heart muscle cannot receive the vagus nerve electrical impulse for contraction. Mercury accumulates in the heart muscle and heart valves, causing damage by attaching to thiol (SH-) proteins. This damage is indicated by EKG and confirmed by histologic study.

Dan.

Last edited:
What I would like you to do is hold that thought, in a few years I have the cutest Boston Brace for you.
Ten years ago I had a 6m fall, landed on my butt and fractured/crushed a vertebra.
I was fitted with such a body brace and depended on it for six months or so.
So thanks for the offer, I'm good.

The back/torso twist and hold has reset some vertebra positions and stretched ligaments etc....with time vertebra, cartilages and discs will adopt correct positions/geometry.
My posture is restoring to as it should be, and the fierce internal pains and multiple symptoms have vanished.

Dan.

BTW - The opiate pain killers I was given caused more distress (coke can constipation) than the back pain, so I threw them into a kitchen drawer after about three days and self medicated with whiskey and combustibles ;).
A friend remarked to me that since he had stopped taking Paracetamol he does not suffer headaches.
Same here, since kicking them I do not get any headaches, and self inflicted hangovers if I get them only last for an hour or so after morning rising.

Last edited:
Probably want to find someone who can show you how to do that without stressing anything too much.

I know one exercise where you lie on your side in a sitting position, put your arms out sideways, and twist to face the other direction, and stay that way for a while. Much gentler than twisting while upright.

I've found it's best for me to twist and stretch right before bed, while as relaxed as possible, to pop everything back. If I try to do that in the morning I'll end up crippling myself for the rest of the week.

When I started having issues it helped a lot to lift myself up with my hands and relax my spine completely - which isn't straightforward to do - to decompress it. After figuring out what works for me I rarely have that problem. It also helps to stretch yourself on the bed so that the sheets are decompressing your spine.

And of course if you're not healthy your body won't be able to keep everything oiled and aligned no matter what you do. It can go the other way too though. If you're out of whack and nerves are getting pinched it can interfere with organs working as they should.

WRT the vagus nerve, you can wake it up by getting relaxed and exhaling through a restricted glottis for a while. It's rather meditative, and often brings a surge of clarity.

I know one exercise where you lie on your side in a sitting position, put your arms out sideways, and twist to face the other direction, and stay that way for a while.

That's a common exercise used by physical therapists, and safe.

The extreme stuff Max advertises could lock a vertebra in over-stretched position, one might end up with a scoliosis if not taking care of.

(Insert 2 Bybees, if the troubles are not over in a week's time come back for more. That'll be 87.50, thank you)

@Bigun & MaxHeadroom,

It has now returned to normal rhythm after some 14 days or so. I had a cardiogram whilst out of synch and that was (otherwise) not of concern, whilst blood pressure is steady and good for my age….Thanks to beta-blockers.

As I said, this is an infrequent problem for me and is not increasing in frequency of attacks per annum. However for the few weeks prior my blood thickness had been varying (I am on Warfarin) somewhat in both directions, requiring two checks a week rather than one a month.

The only symptom which came with the af was a big increase of digestive difficulty…(upward) flatulence and heartburn from reflux (BUT possibly with a touch of angina).

[MAX:

Be very careful with any extreme back rotation/flexion. It may help in with the af - but is almost sure to cause other problems (if not now, in the future unless you are extremely fit and supple, & warm up to those flexions. Jacco (in his inimitable fashion is making the same point).

Having been an ankolosing spondylitis sufferer and long time rheumatic (Two years in hospital as a child, Still’s, pumped full of (unrecoverable) gold), and also a virtually full time equestrian until in my 40s, I have by sheer luck and ‘fate’ managed to remain reasonably free of back-problems since those days only by ensuring that I really am careful. ]

And thank you both for your concern and advice.

DiyChiro....

MAX: Be very careful with any extreme back rotation/flexion. It may help in with the af - but is almost sure to cause other problems (if not now, in the future unless you are extremely fit and supple, & warm up to those flexions. Jacco (in his inimitable fashion is making the same point).

Thanks both.
I'm fit still somehow (in my younger days I raced road and velodrome (State Medals) and rode to work 60km/day until my mid thirties....that kind of heart/lung fitness and endurance sticks) and I'm still fairly supple.
Due to long term back alignment/positioning problems and working career posture, muscles, ligaments and cartilages have settled into wrong rest positions.
I am indeed carefully and progressively stretching and resetting those rest state positions.

During my crushed vertebra healing, I periodically sought pain relief by laying flat on the floor with a 'Pool Noodle' positioned exactly correctly (to the mm) under my back to stretch the muscles/ligaments around the offending vertebra....I would ascend into blissful sleep and wake two or more hours later feeling energised, relaxed and relatively pain free.

The point is that muscles spasm to clamp movement and protect injuries, but these muscle spasms can become 'permanent' with consequent muscle and joint pain, and consequential modification/adaption of ligaments and cartilages.

By repeated movement of joints past their normal movement range, joint and muscle/ligament 'rest' position and joint cartilage geometry can be restored to correct posture, but this process takes time and repetition.....Chiropractors are essentially useless and cause more injury than cure ime.

Thanks for your advices/concerns.

Dan.