Thoughts about retirement...

Retirement is optional now if you have enough money to do it. (Get frozen)

I'm 30 years old so I'm saying this through my eyes.

My dad has 2 years left to live and he's making my life as miserable as if he had 20 left to go (Lung cancer, thread is in The Lounge somewhere).

I can never understand his reasoning behind wanting to be old and crotchety?
I can never understand his reasoning behind wanting to be mean to me and my mum?

Is it normal for a father to smash something infront of you and then 15 mins later pretend like it never happened? Try and be friends with you again?

I am trying to be friends with him to the best of my emotional abilities but I feel strongly that I should want to punish him in the form of never wanting to speak to him again...

And I consider myself Buddhist/Christian.

I like NorthStar's view on life, it is a pretty cheap way to live life too:
Don't wait for financial security, live the precious seconds every single day.
We have 86,400 seconds to live a day; they are much more important than $86,400 deposited in your bank account every day.

If you have to spend one or the other or both, and every day, the total, 86,400; which do you rather spend?
Forget the money; making it and spending it...make sense of your life, live it, spend every second fully with all your heart & soul.
~~~~
Retirement is enjoyment, and money has not to be necessarily part of it. ...It can for some, and it don't truly matter @ all for others...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPFabRaQI-0

I think the best path in life is one which makes happyness for everyone around you and yourself is second place all the time.

Perfect balance in harmony with nature and your own body and your own mind is what life is all about. HFCS + all Sugar is very very bad and you should only eat natural sugar, Oranges, Apples, Rolled oats. If it is sweet and comes from a natural source like berries or fruit then its okay. But if its prepackaged and is sweet (even just a few grams of sugar) then it is really bad for you.

Feeling content with what you own and not being pessimistic about others throughout all walks of life is good and healthy for not only yourself but also for others.

Knowing everything is the goal of my life. If I know everything then I know what I am not missing out on.
Doing everything is what takes money. But thankfully I am doing things by learning things and knowledge is free.

I cannot imagine myself ever wanting to stop learning so therefore I will never "retire".

I cannot imagine myself ever wanting to slow down or take it easy in life because I always find a new thing to race towards.

It is a great idea to eat fresh food at all times right off the vine or tree or bush; this is the key to living a long life you get exercise aswell as fresh food unmutilated by sugar or pesticides or BPAs.

In the perfect retirement home you walk through the shopping center and end up 10 km away with a full belly and you walk back with some rainwater and berries as a reward.

In the perfect life you never need a hip or knee replacement.

In the perfect life you never have a back problem.

In the perfect life you never need a car or a boat or a house you are welcome here on earth forever without ever having to pay any bills or fines it is greedy people who ask for money from you just for existing on a piece of land.

This is what I have learnt so far in my life.

Taking life slowly is bliss but it won't work if you someday want to own a home. So to live this life that I live you must realize that the world around you is your home and you must find a place to be welcomed in rags. I guess if you could say that I will someday retire it will be when someone welcomes me in rags with nothing and no one with my name.

Last edited:
pretend like it never happened?

I worked in an environment with a very high carcinogenic rate, decided to leave after realising that it affected my mental outlook.

For professional health workers, it takes a very basic or very strong personality to cope with intensive exposure to terminal individuals.
Neither of the two applies to family members, in most cases.

Imagining how it's like to die is hard, if you've never been there yourself.
(I'm an idiot, but rather street-wise for my age)

I worked in an environment with a very high carcinogenic rate, decided to leave after realising that it affected my mental outlook.

For professional health workers, it takes a very basic or very strong personality to cope with intensive exposure to terminal individuals.
Neither of the two applies to family members, in most cases.

Imagining how it's like to die is hard, if you've never been there yourself.
(I'm an idiot, but rather street-wise for my age)

I agree that there is a severe trauma which comes from being around others who are hellbent on self destruction.

I would't put it down to being terminally ill. he has been more than a bit of an ****-h the entire time that I've known him.

I cope with it by being a very private individual; and by not expressing my dreams or goals to anyone but myself, expressing them to someone else only leaves them open to critisizm and critisizm is the most destructive emotion you can ever hope to experience. (especially when multiplied a million times over the course of a lifetime)

Being street-wise is nothing compared to this person, I am still reeling over the shock that he is my father let alone what he has done. I need to realize that there is a way to move on with life and there is a path that I can follow which will allow me to repair things, I'm not sure what happened I think the editor ate this last bit:

I think I need to spend more time around positive role models, people who are retiring gracefully without being so self destructive and pessimistic about life.

Last edited:
Is it normal for a father to smash something infront of you and then 15 mins later pretend like it never happened?

It may not be "normal" but it does happen for someone who is facing their own challenges and does not know how to deal with them. In my case it was my father's alcoholism that caused a similar incident. He not only broke the face of the TV by throwing a napkin holder, but blamed me for doing it. He truly thought that I had done it since I was his "mistake".

I can never understand his reasoning behind wanting to be mean to me and my mum?

He may not realize he is doing it. Sherri's mom became extremely abusive toward Sherri in her last year of a five year long cancer fight. The cancer had attacked her brain.

I am trying to be friends with him to the best of my emotional abilities but I feel strongly that I should want to punish him in the form of never wanting to speak to him again...

I couldn't take it any longer and left home at age 20. I did not speak to my father for 2 years, and he forbid my mom to call me. I did not realize that my father didn't care, but my mom was heartbroken (my brother would call me from a friends house). I tried to normalize relationships after two years, but it was a few more before I was allowed in their house, and maybe 10 years before my father and I could remain in the same room. After he conquered alcohol things got better.

Looking back, this was extremely stubborn alpha male behavior on both our parts, although the relationship was fractured quite early in life. I never understood the guilt that he carried all the way from WWII that drove him to alcohol, and he never understood the ADHD that I still deal with, and how frustrating being called worthless every day made it. I attempted suicide in the 4th grade because I really thought that there was something wrong with me.

At least we made peace before he left this world. I will always think of ways I could have handled things better.

You have a finite amount of time left with him. Just try and make the best of it while you can. Sherri went through the same frustration, but the both of can say that we did the best we could with her under the circumstances.

Your reward for patience now will come in the next life.

WoW!

Kids make better lovers than old farts.

Speaking for yourself then ?

Hey, I'm just a happy kid. :D

You can't fight 'time'. You'll also be an 'old fart' sooner than you think !:)

And a whole lot sooner than you wish! :confused:

When I was a kid, my relatives said I was a dirty old man.

Now that I'm a dirty old man, I feel like a kid.

-RNM

You should feel right at home in Thailand, Mr Marsh :clown:

No, no. Big mamba no.

Makes me wonder which loudspeakers Mr Marsh has in store for his condom(inium).

(in the tropics, humidity level and sticky amphibians make ESL's undesirables)

They don't dig towers.

LOL. I set myself up for that one.

-RM

What a good bunch we all are; full of wisdom and good humor. :D

in the 4th grade

Yes, and the school administration and the school board psychologist convinced my parents to remove me from public school in the 5th grade. Seems that being annoyed with a dumb teacher who didn't even know what a liter was and reading Popular Electronics magazine instead was grounds for dismissal.

I was sent to a private school for other misfits that didn't fit in well. In sixth grade the school bully sent me to the hospital by whacking me in the head with a baseball bat. I missed a few days of school then promptly retaliated by lighting him up with a wet 90 volt battery! Yeah, I fit right in.

I was returned to public school in 7th grade. Life in the public school system had taken a major turn for the worse. It was now 1965 and desegregation and forced bussing had created racial unrest and violence in the schools. With all that was going on, it seems that sneaking out of class to go into the library to read science books was now acceptable behavior.

There is?

According to both Buddhist and Christian beliefs there is.

George you are as far as I can see a far better man than any one who called you a mistake.

I figured out pretty early that I was smarter than most people. It took me until about age 25, and 5 years into my career at Motorola to figure out that I really wasn't a mistake and had the self confidence to prove that I could be successful. That was about when I started to make peace with my father.

It's funny; seems to be the same life story that I also experienced...very similar.

I went to the best school from grade 8 to 12, then college for 3 years, and then rejected by the school system and my friends on drugs by the time I was ready for University.

Some people they wanted to kill me because I was interrupting their drug activities.

Then I went straight to heaven, and I was already talking with them gods up there, way above.
They were all on top of clouds, and all of them were retired.

Is it normal for a father to smash something infront of you and then 15 mins later pretend like it never happened? Try and be friends with you again?

Paragraphs A, B, C:

A) When you retire, you get to attend to the affairs of your relatives who retired 30 or 40 years previously. They give you a durable power of attorney and expect YOU to be just OK when they snap, then recover -- been there these last 2 years, just hang in.

B) There's a line in one of the epistles which says "Fathers, do not berate your children lest they become dispirited" -- too bad Paul did not make it a reflexive statement, i.e. "Children, do not be dispirited when your father berates you."

C) Where's the conflict?

Religion is on the "index liborum prohiborum" of this forum so I will go no further.

I remember once that very very pretty girlfriend from Germany; on Halloween night, a very long time ago, I was tired and stayed home. ...She went to a party (she loved dancing), and she was in the mood to screw with another man @ that party.

The next day, a friend of mine, who also happened to be @ that party, said to me:
"Bob, your girlfriend last night; she was 'cruising' with another man."
I replied to him: "So what, she is free ain't she?"

What we think we have we only realize when totally retired in peace.

same life story that I also experienced...very similar.

Some differences.

I went to the best school from grade 8 to 12, then college for 3 years

The Dade County (Miami Fla.) public school system has consistently been in the bottom 10% of the country wide ranking. I went to a community school (2 year college) run by the Dade County school system for 3 years again with bad grades to avoid being drafted into Vietnam. This was mandated by my father because of his WWII experience. He was a bomber pilot setting fire to Tokyo. I left school when I left home.

rejected by the school system and my friends on drugs

You paid money to go to community college. If you paid, they didn't reject you. My family did, so I became one of the friends on drugs. I was high nearly every day from age 17 until age 37. I decided to go back to college, but this time I wanted to actually get a degree, and needed all of my brain cells operating in phase, so I quit the drugs. Got excellent grades, and two engineering degrees.