Thoughts about retirement...

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Seems like food has replaced traditional entertainment. Food is now the new fashion and entertainment industry.
What's wrong with snake and possum and worms and snails? Wont make you fat nor up your cholesterol levels. You know...... the healthy stuff.

-RM

Last edited:
Seems like food has replaced traditional entertainment. Food is now the new fashion and entertainment industry.
What's wrong with snake and possum and worms and snails? Wont make you fat nor up your cholesterol levels. You know...... the healthy stuff.

-RM

Snake and snails, no problem I love to explore especially in Asia. But you must realize that pork and beef (especially the fatty cuts) are highly prized there also. I never touch the above stuff anymore except on rare social occasions, it's just fun to observe.

Food and gathering around a meal is one of the oldest traditions in almost all cultures, increased productivity and affluence has a side effect that items reserved for special occasions are now everyday.

I am reminded of a story on NPR interviewing a woman in Western MA who loved to make braised road-kill.

My wife hit a young deer -- with my brand-new MB -- car was full of Cub Scouts -- to this day they still say she killed Bambi -- Millburn Policeman had a chuckle as well.

I had a friend years ago who did bow and gun season. He asked me before the bow hunting season if I wanted whatever he got. When he returned I looked at the bag, "that's the whole thing?" Same joke at dinner, the whole thing barely served 6.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Snake and snails, no problem I love to explore especially in Asia. But you must realize that pork and beef (especially the fatty cuts) are highly prized there also..

not by the average person... beef has to be imported... too costly. And, what they have imported (usually from Australia) is tough as nails. So, its chicken and pork. But greasy duck is popular. Small animals only due to land space.

I only know two people who skinned, cooked and ate a possum ... American Indians and poor people in the southern states of the N.East of America. The lady I live with spent 20 years of her youth visiting and living on every Indian reservation in America and then wrote a cook book. Was all the old-timer's recipes. Out of print but still in demand.

If you think you might want to eat snake... go to Taiwan..Taipai and ask the driver to take you to the famous Snake Alley for dinner.

-Richard

I see random fresh sprouts all over the back 50 feet of the property even in areas where there were few original plants. I plan to mow this area every few days and apply Gly every time I see sprouts for as long as it takes to stomp this stuff out.

I just cut it down to ground level and then covered the ground with black plastic held down by rocks and whatever. A few plants did poke through and cutting them back and more plastic seems to have killed them. Left the plastic down for two years. Now have a bit of corn, beans, etc. there but will cover things again as there are other weeds popping up.

Seems no water and lots of heat discourage weeds. But once uncovered you do need to plant something that is good ground cover.

not by the average person... beef has to be imported... too costly. If you think you might want to eat snake... go to Taiwan..Taipai and ask the driver to take you to the famous Snake Alley for dinner.
-Richard

I have eaten snake in Shanghai, sorry I was thinking of China where pork belly is highly prized.

I'm surprised a lot of traditional Thai dishes use beef even poor food, admitedly often in the form of offal. Have you ever tried boat noodles? Have a very authentic Thai street food place a few blocks away that makes it with heart, kidney, tripe, and of course the blood.

Rice noodles with beef or pork (and sometimes offal) in a brown broth which contains cinnamon, star anise and sometimes blood. It is spicy and sour.

My favorite dish in China, had this in farm country with real "free range" chicken. I see the Thai share a like for it.

The name literally translates to "chicken stewed with Chinese medicine". It contains medicinal herbs, one of them the dried fruit of the wolfberry, a.k.a. goji berries (Thai: เก๋ากี้; kaoki). The dish is of Chinese origin.

Had a friend do this one night a LONG time ago...:)

A Thai fusion dish where the name literally means spaghetti fried "s**t-drunk" (khi mao = extremely drunk). An explanation is that any dish fried this way is easy to make, spicy, and uses whatever ingredients are available at that time; great after a night out drinking when still hungry

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I'm surprised a lot of traditional Thai dishes use beef even poor food, admitedly often in the form of offal. Have you ever tried boat noodles? Have a very authentic Thai street food place a few blocks away that makes it with heart, kidney, tripe, and of course the blood.

It's Americanized Thai if it uses beef. but, all over the planet you will find chickens to eat. Not wild or free range because there are too many animals who will kill it and eat it. but in or near cities you only get pork, chicken, and fish. Never beef. it doesnt grow in that part of the world.
I dont eat the weird stuff.... for sure you will get some nasty disease.... like in Northern Laos I saw bat for sale in the open market. I asked the driver if he ever ate bat and he said 'once' and it tastes awful. Most food isnt kept on ice/frozen or even cold and decays before it comes to your local restaurant. If you are so lucky to eat in a restaurant. In Peru Andes.... in Iquitos you can get chicken but not out of the city area... they get killed too fast.
but someone was raising chickens in Cusco, Peru on a rotisserie and that is the best chicken I have ever had. Almost the size of a turkey and slow cooked .... I dont know what kind of bugs etc they fed those big birds but it sure made them taste great.

-RM

It's Americanized Thai if it uses beef.
-RM

Not according to my Thai friends, in any case how is a dish with heart, kidneys, tripe, and beef blood Americanized. Your not a foodie that's Ok, but there is a lot of food history out there.

Each Southeast Asian culture has its favorite noodle dishes. The Vietnamese are fond of their pho, the Thai of their gkuay tiow reua ("boat noodles"), and the Malaysians their laksa. These noodle dishes share similar roots - they are Chinese in origin, introduced by immigrants from different parts of China who settled in the region several generations ago. Their descendants continue to run the noodle shops that abound in many Southeast Asian cities, or hawk countless bowls from push-cart stalls and paddle boats, adding color and aroma to the sidewalks and canals of the Orient.

The common origin explains why many noodle dishes of different Southeast Asian cultures are suspiciously similar in look and taste. This certainly is true of beef noodle soup. The Vietnamese "pho" is not much different from the Thai "kuay tiow reua, " or the Cantonese beef noodles you get in Chinatown noodle shops.

There are essentially two kinds of beef noodle soup – one with clearer broth and a cleaner taste and the other with a darker, richer and heartier broth. The latter is what I prefer for the colder seasons of the year because of its warming qualities.

Last edited:
So. american Beef is the best i have ever had when it comes to beef , especially Bolivian .

When I do I prefer 100% grass fed. People forget that in many places the beef is spent work/compost animals not very good and they use EVERY part, no surprise you won't find that in city restaurants. I have tried that here from our CSA farm, not very good and went to our dog.