Thoughts about retirement...

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
After getting all my ducks in a row.... the fun things are everywhere. But, I have developed a like for traveling. So, I have been making my California place more survivable when I am away for a long time. Replanted all the trees with drought tolerant types. Also the water bill is kept low. Same with plants..... replacing them with good looking ones which do not need frequent watering to stay looking good.

-RM

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
My dermatologist (me. fair-skinned irish/polish) doesn't take much insurance, takes cash mostly and charges much, much less than the guy who does -- lot of folks who qualify or are on Medicare go to him as you can get an appointment the same day.

OTOH, my cardiologist takes cash by the suitcase full from folks who like to go to NYC for their cardio-care.

The internist stopped all insurance for a while 'cause the patients were really cranky with his staff.

My suggestion -- take your primary care physician out to dinner every couple of years, or send him some opera tix.

Or find a doctor that likes HiFi!

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Do you know one of the worst things about being retired?

...To be surrounded by people who work for a living. ...Better walk away and stay away. ;)

When retired, you notice the little things which are missing -- It's really quiet during the day time work hours. No traffic, kids, noise, pollution is down. Peaceful. No lines to wait at stores, gas stations and restaurants. Fewer interruptions.
:)

-RM

Last edited:
I like to travel, but prefer to camp. I used to take 30 day vacations every five years and do a 4000mile loop around the USA hitting places like White City NM (Carles Bad Caverns), The painted desert, The Grand Canyon, The great Salt Lake, Yellowstone, etc.

She who is no longer living with me thought Key West and Shopping while staying in hotels was a vacation.:eek:

I've started buying camping equipment again, since I gave my previous camping equipt to my step daughter, who turned around and sold it at a flea market.

The Camp Cook stove had served in 4 generations of my family. Stupid person!

If I can do maintanance on the AT I can still camp.

I'm the young guy in the middle.

Attachments

• Group_photo.jpg
    Group_photo.jpg
    500.6 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
I used to take 30 day vacations every five years and do a 4000mile loop around the USA

The USA loop is different I don't really think of that as traveling. I managed to take my entire family on one in 1988 (though my youngest was "in the cooker") and Yellowstone was on fire. Did my first in 1956 in a '51 Chevy and in 1959 in a big white Pontiac Catalina.

Almost forgot, "Are we there yet".

Last edited:
I made the loop in 89 after the fire. Life was already restoring itself just a year after the fire. Went back in 94 and again in 99. Haven't been back since then, but I'm planning on going next year.

I'm thinking of maybe going back to Canada again on a loop. I haven't been above the 48 since 1965.