Those were the days!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
No!

Hi djQUAN,
Don't do that! Not unless you know exactly what you are doing!!!!

If you are adjusting laser current, it's easy to blow the laser diode when something else may have been at fault. If the pot happens to be E-F balance, it's touchy and you probably will not get it back.

Basically, do not start twisting pots if you are not experienced and know exactly what you are doing. That goes for all would be techs out there in service shops.

-Chris

Edit: spelling

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Paul,
Which question did I answer? Any controls mounted on the head are preadjusted at the factory. Some Pioneer laser heads are an exception as they ship with the diffraction grating not aligned. They will not work out of the box and the adjustment is a pain, easily done in the factory (cheap so & so's!).

In other words, another head should work if swapped. A good technician can optimize it for better performance.

-Chris

Re: No!

anatech said:
Hi djQUAN,
Don't do that! Not unless you know exactly what you are doing!!!!

If you are adjusting laser current, it's easy to blow the laser diode when something else may have been at fault. If the pot happens to be E-F balance, it's touchy and you probably will not get it back.

Basically, do not start twisting pots if you are not experienced and know exactly what you are doing. That goes for all would be techs out there in service shops.

-Chris

Edit: spelling

well, I did say that was my final resort just before getting a new laser. :smash:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi djQUAN,
True, but I was just trying to point out that many times, the laser is not at fault. You would just seal it's fate doing that.

Inexperienced tech's will blame the laser (like old picture tubes). They don't know any better.

-Chris

Wow, I'm glad I found this thread!

I'm not as old school as some of you guys, but I got into car audio heavy around '96 when I was in college. I read every magazine I could get my hands on for the better part of 4 years. I used to plan out all these dream systems I would build if I ever had lots of $$. Unfortunately, being a poor college kid I couldn't afford any of the really good pieces I drooled over at the car stereo shop. For amps I loved the Lanzar Optidrive (if I remember correctly), Orion HCCA, PPI, Xtant. And I always wanted an 18" Cervin Vega Stroker sub.

Well, I am now the proud owner of 3 chrome PPI PC21400's, a PC4400, 2 PPI Pro12 flat piston subs and some original Diamond Audio hex series componenets.

I was collecting this stuff to finally build up a great system in my EVO, but I don't think it will ever happen. Priorities change. Now I am racing the car, and I just can't justify putting all that weight into it. Maybe I will hold onto the stuff to see if I ever get the bug again, but don't be surprised if you see it all up on eBay.

EVOlutionary

Sorry, for some reason I can't start a new thread yet so I figured this was the best place for my request -

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with this link and knows where this link went -

http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~djue/PPI.index.htm

It had a listing of owners manuals for most older PPI equipment, sales brochures from back in the day, and also some PPI lineage and pricing info.

If anyone know where I can get this information please email me at jhoops76@yahoo.com

Thanks!

EVOlutionary

Man you hit the nail on the head!

I myself have a subscription to CA&E for over ten years now and honestly for the first 5 or so years I used to spend hours flipping pages and drawing diagrams of what would some day be my dream system.

Many years later I have collected the folling system.

The legendary Rockford Fosgate RFX-8140 HU

The Lanzar: Optidrive E30 and X3 Processors and the Optidrive 6200 6 channel amp.

For the front stage I have a set of German made 6 1/2 Eton seperates in the kick panels.

I also have a Soundstream Reference 405 and an unopened Airbass remote. Also a Autotek SX5750 as backups.

As far as Subs go I can never make up my mind and at the moment I have none installed!! And I really wish I had those 2PPIFlat Pistons you have.

I recently had 4 JL's 10W0 Which I sold before I got around building a box for them.

As a matter of fact, Last night I got lucky and grabbed a rare Lanzar DC-12 off eBay for 51 bucks. Now I will probally have to wait another 3 years before I find another one.

If I were you I would find a second car to install all that gear of yours, If not give it all to me. lol

P

Guys...there are just as good amps today if not better than there was years ago..I've owned some of the best old school equipment from Orion, Pheonix Gold, PPI, Kicker etc....I think the real reason we loved them so much was because the magazines covered the cars that had them and turned them into GOD like status...Don't get me wrong..they were built like tanks and sounded fantastic..

Companies like Sinfoni, Genesis, Brax, Zapco, TRU, the Arc SE line are just as good if not better than the amps of yesterday..

and speaker technology has gotten way better...

EVOlutionary said:
Wow, I'm glad I found this thread!

I'm not as old school as some of you guys, but I got into car audio heavy around '96 when I was in college. I read every magazine I could get my hands on for the better part of 4 years. I used to plan out all these dream systems I would build if I ever had lots of $$. Unfortunately, being a poor college kid I couldn't afford any of the really good pieces I drooled over at the car stereo shop. For amps I loved the Lanzar Optidrive (if I remember correctly), Orion HCCA, PPI, Xtant. And I always wanted an 18" Cervin Vega Stroker sub.

Well, I am now the proud owner of 3 chrome PPI PC21400's, a PC4400, 2 PPI Pro12 flat piston subs and some original Diamond Audio hex series componenets.

I was collecting this stuff to finally build up a great system in my EVO, but I don't think it will ever happen. Priorities change. Now I am racing the car, and I just can't justify putting all that weight into it. Maybe I will hold onto the stuff to see if I ever get the bug again, but don't be surprised if you see it all up on eBay.

EVOlutionary

got one of those Strokers 18 NIB in my closet...I love that damn thing :D

I do have to agree, more quality went into the amps of "yesterday" due to the hand assembly but some are still assembled rather nicely and the chances of the soldering robots they use to misassemble an item are slimmer with the amount they actually put out. Now there are certain companies that cannot afford that type of machinery and still send them out overseas to be hand assembled, have seen quite a few botched soldering jobs from them. Orion's class D line is ok but they have a few soldering failures here and there, Phoenix Gold Xenon there circuits are quite nice and there power supplies are heavy duty. They are also fairely easy to repair and they use quality Fairchild Mosfets. Kicker is another that massproduces but has retained quality and that SX series is a KILLER! Most of the quality mass produced amps are assembled in Korea where they actually do quite a nice job. JMHO...Polo.:)

Also being a car hifi nut from yesteryear, this is what I still have tucked away in my closet. The stuff hasn't been out of the box since the day I bought it, and that's 8 years ago!!:xeye:

Regards

Attachments

• caraudiostuff.jpg
    caraudiostuff.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 315
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.