Thorens TD124 measurements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, agreed. If we could turn back the clock a bit and get some before and after measurements of Kevin's work, that would be cool. Maybe on his next victim.

It'll be a quite while I think before the next victim arrives.. :D The tables I am currently working on are not in situ and I have no baseline information for them either.

When I got mine there would have been plenty of 120Hz hum due the locked rotor, but the table as it stands is gratifyingly quiet.

The zamac platter rings badly, and is also excited by the idler to a limited extent - neither are things that the iron platter does to any comparable extent. Mine is isolated from the record by geltec dots, and a Merrill-Scillia mat.

Platter

Kevin,

I too, decided to remove my Zamac platter for the same reasons. It rings like a bell. I still have it, but who knows, perhaps I will sell it some day.

I've been seeing the original cast iron platters on ebay lately, why don't you get one? a LOT cheaper than the Schopper made of "unobtainium" :D and that would give you a good baseline. Also, I'm sure you could sell it easily if you wanted to.

Check this out:

THORENS TD124 PLATTER PARTS - eBay (item 150547826816 end time Feb-11-11 11:32:56 PST)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Thorens-TD-124-...019?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a62596d4b

Good luck!

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Kevin,

I too, decided to remove my Zamac platter for the same reasons. It rings like a bell. I still have it, but who knows, perhaps I will sell it some day.

I've been seeing the original cast iron platters on ebay lately, why don't you get one? a LOT cheaper than the Schopper made of "unobtainium" :D and that would give you a good baseline. Also, I'm sure you could sell it easily if you wanted to.

Check this out:

THORENS TD124 PLATTER PARTS - eBay (item 150547826816 end time Feb-11-11 11:32:56 PST)

Thorens TD 124 Main Platter - ORIGINAL Top Condition!!! - eBay (item 250758131019 end time Jan-25-11 12:40:36 PST)

Good luck!

Hi Gene,
I've avoided the stock iron platter until now because I use an MC cartridge with strong magnets. I do know it is possible to compensate for this issue and may indeed get a stock cast iron platter at some point. For now the budget is focused on the Schick acquisition.. :D

Sucess, finally!

Kevin, (and some of you)

If you remember, I partially broke the spring steel band (at a hole) that shifts the transmission, (cam.)

After many dead ends, I have it fixed, (hopefully forever.) I took it to a jewelry repair place, and they silver soldered the break. All seems to be well, but I worry for the long-term.

Gene

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.