Thorens TD 160 Super - anybody else use one?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mark,
the input impedance doesn't need to match the impedance of the cartridge. We aren't in HF here, "power matching" is not an issue here. Usually, the best results are obtained when the impedance of the phono pre is higher than the cartridge's impedance. How high - hard to say, depends a little on your taste.
But I am quite sure that 40 Ohms still isn't enough, I never listened to a Denon MC doing well with less then 100 Ohms.

Thorens TD160 S

Sir, I have just finished putting my own TD 160 S back into working order. First my own is not in the same room as the speakers, noisy things. Mine is on an Apollo shelf in the room behind the amp. The amp sits on a similar shelf. The two are bolted together through the wall. This ensures a rigid mounting, vital. The first thing to do is to make the shelf on which the deck will stand absolutly flat, then ensure the shelf does not wobble. The shelf I am using is of 20mm plywood. Holes have been cut in it because I use rather stiff wiring which could (did) interfere with the suspension. I also cut slots in the shelf to prevent vibration moving about. These slots need to go from one side to the other, obviously this would mean you would cut it in half. The way around this is to put a slot in from the edge to a few inches in then putting another in the same direction fromthe other side about two inches, then drill a hole and put another slot a little way away from the first. In the shelf I also put holes so I can adjust the suspension without any fuss. Obviously I also have holes in the Oak base plate of the deck. Now put the deck in position. Level the deck using the plinth not the rubbish piece of trim that covers the top of the deck. Now put the turntable back on the deck. There should be about three millmetres of the tt showing below the belt. now level the tt to the deck. If this is correct then the belt will be right. The thing to remeber is the springs have a strength there is no way to change this so you cannot do any more than this. Ensure the balance is correct, ensure the cartridge is aligned. Now play. I have tried your Denon, I thought it rubbish I like Seventies Rock Played very loud, my wife doesnt. Hope this is of help. You have a potentially great deck

I've got one that I bought new. The demo was great but the guy at the store who was the guru left and a dofus installed the arm. It hasn't sounded as good as the demo ever.
But..It still is fantastic. I have a grace 747 arm and sumiko blue point on it now. Before the sumiko there was a grado something.
We haven't used the tt much as we would buy an lp and tape it on the nak 700 for later joy.
During the last decade I've been looking at it closer doing the cart alignment, vta, and since I was stupid the spring or support adjustment. Stupid in that I was moving about 3 miles and set the tt on the front seat. I didn't screw down the platter and the trip totally tweaked the suspension. Everytime the tt spun the band slipped of. I took a closer look and the distance from the plinth to the platter was way off and varied like "oops". Getting underneath the thing to adjust springs is a challange. I had some cheap tv trays so I took two, spaced them carefully and carefully crept under the tray/tt set up. Wow, it was stable enough for me to turn whatever and to check the clearance. Is that called the platter run out? I was so proud of myself. Since then I've had exciting listening sessions mostly with the grado 60 headphones plugged into the linn preamp - wakonda - which has a mm phono preamp. Head phones are great in an apartment. I also have some inexpensive psb speakers that I think blow away the old reconed mac xr5s. Much better sound stage.

I digress, I think the mat that is on the platter is important, I have some sticky rubber thing from the 80's that the guy sold me. I just looked at it and it's a music mat from canada. Great mat.

Cleaning the lp is important - I used last power cleaner till I ran out. I need more. Now that I have vinyl from the wife and the dad I wash it before playing it the first time in the kitchen sink. Use dish soap that has the minimal additives in it. Use fingers smeared in soap, running water, and go with the grooves. Pat dry with the softest clean dish towels you have or "viva" brand paper towels. If you use viva just blot. If you want to be really worried about stuff use distilled water. Basically this is how you wash an atronomers telescope mirror who's shape is measured in the red wavelength of light. I don't think it hurts vinyl.

I have taken care of the vinyl I have had for decades. The goal for me is to have no snaps or crackles or pops. I was recently impressed with pink floyd's "wish you were here" One pop. It has a last sticker on it so back when it came out I did the last power cleaner on it and the last preservative. I probably played it once to tape it. Now it sounds like I remember when I demoed the stuff.

Good storage and good cleaning are the key. Heck, even the old disgusting vinyl that the wife brought into the marriage sounds good with a decent cleaning.

My want is to create a new arm board, get the original templete for mounting and replace the crappy wire that goes from it to the pre amp.

This is my first post so forgive the wordiness. I really love the td 160 super and when I bought it the oracle was to die for. Almost, but I was responsible...
gill bates....

Let me join to this old thread. I have had a TD-160 Super for years. The arm is Mayware Mk IV unipivot, cartridge is Denon DL-103. I know this is not the best combination, the cartidge would need a heavier arm, but this is what I have now.
The other day I had some time, so I decided to look inside and adjust the platter height precisely. I adjusted it to 7 mm. But I noticed that the spring close to the motor should be compressed much more than the other two, in order to achive the same height all around the rim of the platter.
I also noticed that the foam inside the springs are missing (as I read elsewhere it is recommended to remove them), and the subplatter is covered with some black damping material from the underside. It looks pretty professional, like it has been always there. Is the damping a retrofit, or perhaps a factory installation? Has the TD-160 Super ever manufactured without the foams and factory subplatter damping? BTW my unit has no built-in arm lift, has a black painted case with acrylic cover.
At the end I did not have to adjust or change anything, apart from a minor adjustment of the platter height.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.