Thorens 125 MK1. Help me please repair this PCB.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You have removed C7 ? and the voltage is still high on R9.

What we do next then is build it up piece by piece (not as bad a it sounds) and confirm each and every voltage along the way.

I'll tell you how to do that later... feeding time :)

Could I replace it with 100pf like in the photo?

Attachments

• 100pf.jpg
    100pf.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 88
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
That's good then, it sounds like C7 really was faulty. Now whether anything else is faulty remains to be seen.

Do you have any small caps like the 100pf C7 ? Its value isn't super critical and I would think anything around 68pf to perhaps 470pf would work OK. We could see how it all works without even fitting C7 if you haven't got one.

For testing the whole circuit and to see whether it all works or not requires everything connecting back up again, T5, and the motor.

Everything is back but I have no capacitors so powerd up it without C7...
Motor Rotates!!!:D:D:D:D It's working!!!
Have only some problems with the 16 speed as the voltage jumping up and down. Could it be due to no C7 on the PCB? Will try to rotate the potentiometers to give it 2.5V at that speed.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The joys of faultfinding :D

At least we seem to have found the problem with C7.

You are going to have to fit a new cap and then we can take it from there. Its a bit hard to analyse the circuit fully because the motor characteristics will play a big part in how it behaves dynamically.

New C7 fitted. Now I have new sympthoms:
It could work perfectly and stable for a minute (there is 5V AC to the motor on 33 spped and it spins like it should be) but then suddenly something happens and the motor begin to wobble it could stop and going the wrong directon then stop and wobble back and forth and so on. On the pcb at this moment Bulb begins to blink and there is a voltage drop to the motor. It jumping 4-5V AC while it should be stable 5V. On the 16 speed everything is more bad. And there is some strange noise in the motor. On the 45 it's better but there is defenetly something on the PCB is faulty.
The DC voltage on C9 when everything is connected now is 22-30V and it's jumping!

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Is the new cap definitely 100pf ?

Has the board got any previous unknown history ? Is it possible the preset resistors R17 and R22 have been altered in the past ?

Its unusual to find a definite fault (C7) and yet still find the unit isn't OK after replacing it. Have C2 and C3 been replaced ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.