Thor or Orion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
bhg41088 said:
Wow, thats 800$ worth of EQ and Xover right there. I wonder if anyone has done a passive Orion? Would be way, way cheaper.

Doubtful.

Across their pass-band the woofer sensitivity drops about 16dB due to dipole roll-off (2.6 octaves @ 6dB/octave) and about the same from very low Q (Qts = .17, the air in the H-frame raises it a little) for 32dB total. You'll need a much larger and more expensive amplifier to maintain the same output capability with a passive cross-over.

There's a shelving high-pass filter, three shelving low-pass filters, two notch filters, four all-pass filters, two fourth order low pass filters, and two fourth order high-pass filters - all built with 1% resistors, 2% capacitors, and gyrators with those tolerances in place of inductors. Total parts cost in active form with $.10 resistors and $.50-$2 capacitors is about $350 + $100 for the boards (including the $50 recommended power supply and enclosure) and 60W/channel amps are inexpensive from DIY or used sources. Jon's passive Arvo XOs using higher tolerance parts and noall-pass filters (SL believes these to be essential) were $500.

You could physically align the drivers although then it wouldn't be an Orion.

I have built the Thor and I'm not very happy with the sound. Often, too bright and revealing. I have also listened Orion and they are much better in every area. You may also consider NAO or NAO-AEP dipole design, which has passive HF filtering and active filtering for U-frame woofer.

It seems that the Thor is a speaker you either like or dislike. I'm not quite sure why, but they can sound a bit nasty with an amplifier they don't like. I use a diy Aleph 5, which seems to be a very good match.

When my Thor's were brand new they were quite hard and bright, and the drivers didn't integrate very well. So at first I was disappointed with their performance. Fortunately this changed for the better :) But it took at least a month or so before they really sounded "right". This tweeter seems to need an unusually long burn-in period.
That should affect the Orion as well I think..

I don't think you need to feel bad about going for Thor. The Orion is probably a bit better, but Thor is still a very good speaker.

bhg41088 said:
Wow, if you look at the responce and the reviews of the Seas Excel line, they seem very unworth the price. Maybe i should look for something Peerless CSX 6.5 (850122) based, as i love the sound of them open baffle.
I'm not sure where you're reading this. The seas Excel compare very well against the best Scan Speak and other socalled highend speakers.

Hans.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.