This is not just another gainclone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
fdegrove said:
Hi,

The led does NOT have to active, just use it as a visable indicator for viewing the position of the knob.

I can't put my finger on it but I think this has been done before by other companies.

Pretty cool if you ask me,;)

This is what you posted a while back, Why didn't you tell me then what the disadvantage of those LED's were?
And if there realy that bad, how come almost every System's got a few?

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

This is what you posted a while back, Why didn't you tell me then what the disadvantage of those LED's were?

There really was no need to as the LED would not be active.

From an historical POV it was more like the early Eighties when this was mentioned by the now long defunct Hi-Fi Answers magazine.

To give you some idea, these people also mentioned that on/off switches degraded the sound, that mains plugs, fuses and fuseholders potentially degraded the sound and so on...

None of it was actually scientifically proven but as a reader you saw the point and you could do the experiment at home which only costed you a little of your time, mostly.

That was the spirit of those days and almost all of the free advise given then is still worth its weight in gold to this very day.

As for the LEDs degrading the sound, I did remove all of them from my system and did NOT notice a change for the better...
That was my system...entirely tube based and pretty high resolution considering it was better than anything commercially available at that point in time.

As for the other tips? Oh yes, those did yield a welcome and not so subtle improvement.

So why could a LED potentially degrade performance?
Well, just like zeners, they're sources of noise.
If you can avoid them I'd not use them.

Would it make a difference in your system? Dunno...try it and see if it does.

It's easy enough to think up half a dozen of other "details" that would make for even more of a difference IME.

Until you try it you won't know...

Cheers,;)

fdegrove

Thanks for the tips and hints.

I'd have to ask Maarten if he notices any difference in sound before and after the LED's have been put in.
But, i don't expect there will be much difference, since you've tried it yourself and didn't notice any change in sound.

I've had a little discussion with Maarten about this too,
and our conclusion was:

Just because you can measure a difference doesn't allways mean that you can hear it too.

In fact, you would have to know the relation between what you can measure and what the avarage person can hear IMHO. :xeye:

carlosfm said:
Guys,

Decently designed commerial gear have a dedicated transformer for the remote control circuitry, remote switch, leds.
That way, it doesn't do any harm to the sound.

You only need a very small transformer, one diode, one little cap and one resistor per led.:angel:

What i want to know is:

Do 2 LOWPOWER LED's influence the performance of an amp so, that i can HEAR the difference?

I don't believe so, but Maarten will tell us all, i expect.

Jerry T. said:

What i want to know is:

Do 2 LOWPOWER LED's influence the performance of an amp so, that i can HEAR the difference?

I don't believe so, but Maarten will tell us all, i expect.

I'm a sceptic too.
On CD players, fluorescent displays may make some detectable difference.
But two leds on an amp?:confused:
Well, if you're worried, the simplest thing you can do is to put a regulator (78xx) for the leds.
This one doesn't need a spare transformer.

Come on guys, a LED is just a forward-biased diode. Zeners
on the other hand are noisy since they use zener- or avalanche
breakdown (to lazy to check the details in my semiconductor
physics book right now). LEDs are commonly used instead of
zener diodes since they have a higher voltage drop than
ordinary diodes but are less noisy than zeners. I think Fred
once claimed green LEDs are the least noisy, but I might be
wrong there.

Hey, it's not a really big change you hear. Regulators won't do a thing at the frequencies where these devices are noisy. If any colour is preferable it would probably be red as that corresponds to the least energy gap. In a good system one can clearly hear an led being on or off but there are multitude other things to spoil the sound as well. As for me, i can tell if the thing is on by the glowing heaters :)

Jerry T. said:

What i want to know is:

I think that it will be audible, though it will have a very minor effect. I would also go for turns around the toroid. And I'd never use regulators for this purpose. This will make everything worse, not better (they will make HF noise on the supply)...

Fedde

fedde said:

I think that it will be audible, though it will have a very minor effect. I would also go for turns around the toroid. And I'd never use regulators for this purpose. This will make everything worse, not better (they will make HF noise on the supply)...

Fedde

Fedde,

I suggested the regulator only for the led.
But of course the turns around the toroid is a better one.
Anyway, generically speaking, do you mean a regulated supply is worst than an unregulated one?:bigeyes:
Will there be more HF noise just by having a regulator there?

BTW, I always connect my leds between + and - rails, and not + and ground.

Connecting between the + and - seems to better yes, one of my concerns was a reduced symmetry of the supply.

Regarding the regulators, of course they can improve the quality of the supply (AFTER the regulator). But that's not the case here. Depending on the type and implementation of the regulator, there is a possibility of switching noise put on the supply before the regulator...

Fedde

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.