Thinking about Pi 7 kit..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
REW flat no subs.

Attachments

• flat.jpg
    flat.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 271
It's not going to be super easy to get a meaningful measurement of those guys. Try measuring one speaker with no EQ, placed in a corner as they are supposed to be with as much stuff out of the way as possible (maybe that's already what you did there, I dunno), and then save and upload the REW file. Maybe few different distances 1 m +. Mic approx. on midrange axis.

It's not going to be super easy to get a meaningful measurement of those guys. Try measuring one speaker with no EQ, placed in a corner as they are supposed to be with as much stuff out of the way as possible (maybe that's already what you did there, I dunno), and then save and upload the REW file. Maybe few different distances 1 m +. Mic approx. on midrange axis.

To get even more info, can you measure each driver on one channel separately?

Bill

One to two feet away from the wall did not help or hurt much.
Imaging better one foot in front of where I sit.
All 1M center of Mid axis, one speaker.
Flat.
Then before and after, my PEQ listening position both speakers.
My PEQ treatment made them so bad. The Yammers YPOA is so much better.

Attachments

• 1m all.jpg
    1m all.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 269
  • 1m bmt.jpg
    1m bmt.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 247
  • flatandpeq10-4-2014.jpg
    flatandpeq10-4-2014.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 234
I have an error in my sc cal file that makes a 300Hz false spike.
The whole sc cal looks crazy - hopefully it doesn't have much to do with your actual sc output. With that cal removed, it looks possibly correct (hard to say) except for the HF, which is either totally messed up or your measurement isn't working right.

You've got an almost 20dB drop from 2-10kHz, which shouldn't happen until you're somewhere 60-80° off axis vertically, which surely you were not measuring at 1 m. Do you have a small retail speaker you might be able to measure for a sanity check?

Attachments

• temp.png
    temp.png
    230.4 KB · Views: 292
Quick question to help my understanding. Why do I want to change the scale?
Because nobody ever shows speaker measurements on a linear frequency scale. That is because we hear on a logarithmic scale, i.e. octaves. Your linear graph in post 85 is ten octaves, but the last one, 10-20kHz, is half the graph.

http://ge.tt/3ko77f02/v/1?c
Whole set of new files with corrected SC file.
Both speakers tested 1M and flat as well as some B&W DM 330 cheapies for reference.
I windowed out the major reflections in your 1m measurements of the 7 pi and B&W put them on the overlay below (the graphs are not valid below 1.5-2kHz or so). I would expect to see a little bit hotter treble on a B&W speaker, but I dunno, looks plausible. Meanwhile, there's still an outrageous 20dB drop in the 7 pi HF. Something ain't right here.

P.S. you can skip the EQ'd measurements and the multi-speaker measurements, as far as troubleshooting is concerned.

Attachments

• bw3301m.png
    bw3301m.png
    72.1 KB · Views: 265
I have hard time imagining what sort of crossover/wiring/etc. error would cause such a significant rolloff exactly the same in both speakers so it's tempting to think measurement problem instead, but the DM330 looks pretty reasonable so...

I can't think of a good next test, except you could completely unhook the HF from the crossover, wire it straight to the amp with a 20uF+ cap in series, and measure on-axis from that. It's well-known what that should look like (http://www.pispeakers.com/Measurements/H290C_Response.jpg). Be very careful with the volume on that - you'll need to have it way down from normal or your ears and maybe the compression drivers will be sorry.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.