Thinking about a high efficiency 15" 3-way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Might be time to make more sawdust... Well, if it ever decides to get above 18 deg F !

I am thinking about a 15" 3-way for domestic use. I like < 50w class A room heaters like the Aleph and KSA50 circuits.

Thinking of a 15" vented woofer cabinet > 8" midbass (sealed or OB) > Econowave-ish horn

Looking into woofers. Love to go with something James Bee Lansing-esque but too much $$. I'm looking at the Eminence Kappa 15 LFA. This is the stamped steel cheapy, but I like how it models better than the 'pro' version, and i personally am not bothered by the basket material. 4 to 5 cu-ft is probably my limit size wise.

Let me know what you think. At first the 99dB rating scared me, but it looks like that's the average including that nastiness that will get filtered out. More like 96-97dB. These are all the alignments (QB3, BB4, etc) from winisd pro with just the software spitting it out - no manual intervention. I am NOT looking for 'subwoofer' performance. Just 'cracking' music!

I think it looks like a contender - you?

Eminence Kappa-15LFA 15" Low Frequency Driver 8 Ohm

Attachments

• LFA.PNG
    LFA.PNG
    67.3 KB · Views: 771
  • LFA freq.PNG
    LFA freq.PNG
    65.3 KB · Views: 765
  • LFA specs.PNG
    LFA specs.PNG
    32.7 KB · Views: 757
Last edited:
Worth a visit...[/url]

Thanks - I don't think I'd buy anything 'pre-made', but interesting.

edit: very on topic though!

Check out FaitalPro woofers, high efficiency, great performance.

Actually, I'm liking a Faital midbass for this. Also there are Faital 8" and 4" in my toy car :)

I'm just not seeing any Faitals out of JBL $$ range that can get me where i want to be.

Even if you are not an eminence fan (I am), do you see any issue with how the Kappa LFA models for domestic non-sub use?

Last edited:
They are more sensitive, but they don't quite go as low. There actually seem to be more choices for a higher performer, with the same frequency response, in the same size box as the 15LFA - if you go to an 18.

The only thing "wrong" with the 15LFA is the 10mm x-mech. Would be nice to have a bit more headroom before hitting the stops. If you're using under a 200 watt amp that probably won't be an issue.

Preaching to the Choir

1) You can spend more money on better drivers by selecting a proven combination of drivers and proven(measured) crossovers. Crossovers cost ~$150-$250/speaker

2) Successful size and efficiency combinations:
**18" woofer + 12" midrange + 1" compression driver + 15" or wider horn ~ 1300Hz crossover
**15" woofer + 10" midrange + 1" compression driver + 12" or wider horn ~ 1500Hz crossover

3) Start at 20kHz: Study and leverage the extensive Econowave engineering by using a proven:
- horn + compression driver + 10" midbass + crossover.
OR
- horn + compression driver + 12" midbass + crossover.

4) Cabinet designs with baffle diffraction control are still important with horn speakers

5) Room placement and room effects should be modeled from the start

Check out Pispeakers.com when you get a chance. Plans are free just for requesting them. The 4's are a 2 way that would be interesting to you I would expect.

The cornerhorns (7 and 8) face that efficient woofer into the corner to boost efficiency 6 db. You need good corners in your listening room to use them though.

Designs from Wayne use a midhorn for 3 way setups and compression driver/horn combo that keep up with the 15 incher.

Have fun.

Grant.

There are the various cornscala variants Cornscala? | Critesspeakers.com

Another option I've been vaguely thinking about (I have all the drivers lying around) is a 3 way non horn loaded design based upon either hte eminence kappa 15c or the crites CW1526 woofer, the audax PR17 midrange crossed over around 400 - 500 Hz and rolling off naturally crossed over to a fountek ribbon around 5KHz

JBL uses 18" woofers in speakers with 10" and 12" midrange drivers. The large cone area of an 18" woofer provides high 97db efficiency bass with modest distortion generating displacement. The $210 Peavey 18" LoRider woofer models well in 8cuft ported, or sealed with room equalization. Spend more of your budget on the important midrange and compression driver tweeter+horn.

==== Sd ====
18" 1220 cm2
15" 855 cm2
12" 530 cm2
10" 345 cm2
8" 225 cm2
7" 180 cm2
6" 125 cm2
5" 85 cm2

Attachments

• Leverage Econowave.jpg
    Leverage Econowave.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 601
With the right 18, it wouldn't necessarily be any larger than a 15. Something that will do 40 hz f3 at 96 dB/w will be about 5 cubes, regardless of woofer size. Even if it's two 12's.

12 inch midrange probably overkill, unless you're crossing to the woofer under 150 hz. Which would be silly with a passive crossover. An 8 or 10 would do fine, and let the CD cross where it would be happier.

if you want to go bigger and use 18" woofers I have some combinations that I think will work very good

#1:
Faital Pro 18FH500 or 18PWB1000Fe
Faital Pro 10PR410
Faital Pro HF10AK coupled to a STH-100 elliptical tractrix horn
HF10AK is the best 1" compression driver to be used as a tweeter I've ever heard under 500USD. Greg Roberts from Volti Audio uses this tweeter on his Vittora and Alura horn speakers with an 18Sound XT120 which is very similar to Faital Pro STH-100

#2:
Faital Pro 18FH500 or 18PWB1000Fe
Beyma 12P80ND-V2
Beyma TPL-200H

Thanks again for the posts.

I went in looking at $125 USD ea 15" woofers and now we are at $400 USD ea 18" drivers.

It is unrealistic that i am going to spend that type of $$ in drivers. I certainly could, but I'm too frugal for that. I Truly appreciate the precision and quality... I really do. I love Ferrari, but I settle for less. There is a hope for retirement someday :rolleyes:

I never even looked at 18" drivers. Always just assumed that they would NEED a huge enclosure. I see the point that they can tune in a similar enclosure to a 15, and with much less excursion than the 15 (and prob much less distortion). Likely need to be LP'd lower, and probably affecting midbass choice - not a big deal.

Also never thought I'd be modeling a Peavey driver!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.