"The Wire" Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier - PCB's

It's not a potentiometer ground.
On the input side it's the return wire for the input circuit...

Thank you for your reply. Do I need to connect the PSU output ground to the chassis ground where also the main power ground will be connected?

Sorry, I am a little bit tedious in particular on safety issues, but I do not trust my English...

northernsky

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thank you for your reply. Do I need to connect the PSU output ground to the chassis ground where also the main power ground will be connected?

Sorry, I am a little bit tedious in particular on safety issues, but I do not trust my English...

northernsky

Hi northernsky,

The one thing I can say for sure is that the chassis really should be connected to earth. What you do with the rest is up to you.

A block diagram of exactly what you have planned would be needed if you want to start talking about grounding options. This would need to include your source (and how it is currently grounded) and anything else in the chain.

You need to tell us what is in the chassis with the amp, what connections you have, and exactly which version of The Wire you're talking about.

We don't have enough information to give you any meaningful insight, hence the generic answer from AndrewT. If you want specific suggestions, we need all the information about the setup along with the specific questions. This cannot be accomplished with just words.

Regards,
Owen

So here's the beginning of my "The Wire" build

This is a single screenshot of the PSU board

2014-01-25%252001.05.57.jpg

More to come!

Ciao!
Do

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Get in line, Owen. Temporary blindness will not get you to the head of it (but being Canadian and a bribe of great poutine might help :)

He lives in Montreal, so I'll be hard pressed to find anything in Ottawa that can tempt him food-wise.

Perhaps a delicious Foie Gras Poutine from Au Pied de Cochon?

I try to eat there at least once every time I'm in Montreal, but it's hard to get seat on F1 weekend :)

Cheers,
Owen

Yeah, a nice poutine from Au Pied de Cochon will do the trick! :D

Thanks for the nice comments!

I just use a soldering iron with very fine point, actually this one

2014-01-25%252013.28.33.jpg

But I always put in Flux before soldering, it makes the solder flow really nice and smooth but it gets really messy and needs to be cleaned properly in the end. For this I first start with Flux Remover, spray and brush then without blowing air on it yet I use Isopropyl alcool, brush some more they spray air and repeat a second time but just isopropyl alcool this time. Parts alignments is just plain old patience from which I'm running out... :D

Solder is 63/37 with rosin core, not expensive but very good. I also have some Mundorf Silver/Gold and some Johnson IA-423 "ternary eutectic" alloy but much prefer the first one.

2014-01-25%252013.29.41.jpg

Ciao!
Do

Last edited:
Hi northernsky,

The one thing I can say for sure is that the chassis really should be connected to earth. What you do with the rest is up to you.

Hi,

finally I got some time to continue my Wire building SE-SE v2.
I connected both main power earth and PSU G to chassis star ground.
Do you think is OK? (see attached picture)

Do you think is also useful to connect the amp G to the chassis star ground?

PSU test was OK (+-15VDC at output). I connected SE to PSU and it did not blow and also light bulb test was OK.

Last step is to connect the signal wires.

northernsky

Attachments

• IMG_2986.jpg
    IMG_2986.jpg
    449.1 KB · Views: 558
I just finished the PSU and amp module, checked the PSU voltage and everything works well there, I get +/-14.86Vdc

Then I proceeded powering up the amplifier section and DC offset was really low like 0.3mV. Hooked up cheap headphones and my iPhone as test source and the voices are faint and with lots of echo and I can hear guitar string louder but with echoes as well. Hookup up a preamplifier as source and same results, changed headset and same results...

Almost like a Karaoke filter when you remove the voice...

Any idea?

Thanks
Do

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Do,

That's the effect you would hear if you were only getting the differences in a stereo recording (eg. one channel subtracted from the other), so something is wrong with either the input or output wiring.

DC offset should be less than 1mV with no source, so that part sounds right.

Is this the BAL-BAL? Can you provide pictures or a wiring diagram the input / output?

Cheers,
Owen