110.8 KB · Views: 1,218
  • NEC_0013.jpg
    NEC_0013.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 1,196
Some pictures of my amp.

Thanks,

D.

man, that looks great!

i hope owen will see this and eventually get excited again to finish up his second version that he has abandoned for some time at the moment :D

but how do you use the headphone out if you didn't install a volume control? you have digitally controlled volume in the DAC section?

Last edited:
They sell these chassis, in various size in the local shops in Akihabara in Tokyo. The side panels are actually heatsinks, but they don't dissipate much. The nice thing is that they come in flat box, so it's very easy to work with the single panels compare to inside a box.

Unfortunatly, I could not find a solution to fully use both the onboard connectors of the board, and I did not want to have separate psu, otherwise the amp itself would be easily drag down by the weight of the cables.

Anyway, I strongly advice everybody to use the on board input connectors, as, as you can read in this thread, I was picking some oscillation with bad wiring. Like this, not a problem.

D.

D.

Last edited:

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

Well, the time has finally come! All the boards are complete in terms of layout, and I've got all the pricing sorted out for each kit.

I've also tested each incarnation on the bench (by modifying the existing version of The Wire) and each one performs extremely well. I'll post actual measurements in the next few days for those interested.

I'm also proud to announce that there's a new addition to "The Wire" series in the form of a power amplifier based on the LME49830 and a pair of lateral mosfets. It's scalable from 10W to 400W and runs in class A or Class AB. Performance, as you would expect, is extremely good. I'll be posting up a new thread for it shortly with all the details and measurements.

So, now for the details:

Pricing:

All boards are going to be $12 each plus shipping. This keeps things simple and is a very good price for top quality 3 layer boards. So it doesn't matter if you're buying a BAL-BAL, SE-SE, BAL-SE or PSU, they're all $12.

For the kits, I'll be using the same method I did last time which is basically pricing based on single unit DK prices. This saves everyone the trouble of buying the parts separately, paying shipping etc. Unless you already have the bulk of the active parts, I can assure you the kits are going to be cheaper than trying to order the parts yourself, even if you think you can get a better price buying the odd part somewhere else. The difference from last time is that every single part is included with these kits. You won't have to buy anything at all to properly assemble the kit. Everything is included.

The kits break down as follows:

SE-SE Stereo Kit including PCB and all parts: $68
BAL-SE Stereo Kit including PCB and all parts: $103
BAL-BAL Stereo Kit including PCB and all parts: $105
PSU including PCB and all parts: $39

All prices are in CAD dollars

So, anyone is free to buy whatever combination of items they wish. the only exception is that there will be no substitutions for kits. Kits prices include all parts, and I will not make custom kits for those with existing parts they would like to use. You can buy any combination of board and kit, or just boards or just kits, it's up to you.

I've attached all the pricing broken down part by part for each type of headphone amp.

I've also attached the old list of people who were interested. I understand that it has been a while, and so if you want off the list, that's absolutely not a problem, just let me know. If your name is on the list, please confirm that you are still interested.

I would like to see final numbers by the end of this week so I can order boards early next week.

I plan to ship out kits on a first come first served basis starting 3 weeks from now, so the second week of October.

More details to follow!

Regards,
Owen

Attachments

• Price List for SE-SE Version of The Wire.pdf
    20.4 KB · Views: 282
  • Price List for BAL-SE Version of The Wire.pdf
    20.2 KB · Views: 168
  • Price List for BAL-BAL Version of The Wire.pdf
    21.7 KB · Views: 209
  • Price List for PSU.pdf
    22.3 KB · Views: 237
  • THE WIRE - SECOND RUN (update3).pdf
    25.8 KB · Views: 278

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Attached are the schematics for all versions of The Wire.

Regards,
Owen

Attachments

• The Wire - SE-SE - Schematic.pdf
    38.8 KB · Views: 361
  • The Wire - BAL-SE - Schematic.pdf
    48.6 KB · Views: 336
  • The Wire - BAL-BAL - Schematic.pdf
    53.1 KB · Views: 380
  • The Wire - PSU - Schematic.pdf
    56.8 KB · Views: 342