"The Wire AMP" Class A/AB Power Amplifier based on the LME49830 with Lateral Mosfets

DPS-400 and a Cloud of Smoke

Sadly to report that the DPS-400 is not short circuit protected.

My DPS-400 arrived and I started to test it, but I was disappointed.

Results:-

1- While the SMPS is connected to the 220VAC line, MOSFETS heat sink reaches 48C, SMPS not loaded.

2- SMPS Loaded 480W voltage drops around 18V.

3- Keep the SMPS connected without load, and try to restart it, some times it starts, some times it refuse to start.

4- Over current works OK

5- Short the smps output, and connect it to the 220VAC line, it wont start ( protection active)

6- Start the SMPS, and SHORT the output, BLOOOOOOOOOM

Thanks for Audio Power for the good and robust desing of SMPS units.

I advice every one to test the SMPS

Sadly to report that the DPS-400 is not short circuit protected.

My DPS-400 arrived and I started to test it, but I was disappointed.

Results:-

1- While the SMPS is connected to the 220VAC line, MOSFETS heat sink reaches 48C, SMPS not loaded.

2- SMPS Loaded 480W voltage drops around 18V.

3- Keep the SMPS connected without load, and try to restart it, some times it starts, some times it refuse to start.

4- Over current works OK

5- Short the smps output, and connect it to the 220VAC line, it wont start ( protection active)

6- Start the SMPS, and SHORT the output, BLOOOOOOOOOM

Thanks for Audio Power for the good and robust desing of SMPS units.

I advice every one to test the SMPS

I have no doubt that you attack me, not only for other posts, but especially for this. First of all, DPS-400 without load, it is impossible up to 45 ° opc has one, so it can try. maybe yours has a defect, I do not know. please, send me pm with your real name, I say to audiopower to check your purchase. why you attack me? the answer should be very interesting :)

AP

I am not attacking you in any way..

I said truth about your product, no claims

opc can start the SMPS then short it, and we can then tell if I am lier

thanks

then you have a very strange way, other you old post confirm this.
why not ceck a very poor amplifier d class and smps...some illegal for emi/rfi ahahah! all said...very well very good? and some company buy my entry level amp (40€) for understand high real resolution in high band.
defect is possible..why no? i know well dps-400, 45° without load is impossible. protection current and short cut very well.
i want ceck your purchase, please send pm with real name or show your dps-400 please.
----------------------------
However, if you really have this problem, contact AP, normally changes the product, no repair. as some know

Last edited:
Thank's lolo, at end...only you have green power unit eheh! is better you not show...qusp not like this..ahahah

true, I will send lolo a worm virus by email =) I figured lolo was the only one in the end. no its ok, I can wait till my green ones are sent ;) any word on the MDA400 mate?

clocktower: I find your post highly suspicious given your previous trolling posts. You are not a member of this GB, yet you continually post grievances against AP2 in here. when nobody pays any attention to you, you up the ante with a complaint posted in open forum in a thread that has nothing to do with you instead of via email?

so why are you here again? so you deliberately shorted the output and kaboom? it seems convenient that now after all this you have a 'defective' unit to complain about.

if there is a problem, take care of it through official channels, we do not want to hear your bitching

@ qusp

I don't know why you attack me, also I buy DPS-400 from AP, and I discuss with him, so please stay away.

Also, do that test with your SMPS, and I want you to tell me what will happen. you will blow it, these SMPS units are NOT short circuit protected, I am telling every one here JUST to be careful and NOT to blow there own SMPS units.

I have nothing against any one, I paid money for DPS-400, and I wanted to test SHORT CIRCUIT protection, and ITS NOT WORKING.

Sorry if I post in wrong place

@ qusp

I don't know why you attack me, also I buy DPS-400 from AP, and I discuss with him, so please stay away.

Also, do that test with your SMPS, and I want you to tell me what will happen. you will blow it, these SMPS units are NOT short circuit protected, I am telling every one here JUST to be careful and NOT to blow there own SMPS units.

I have nothing against any one, I paid money for DPS-400, and I wanted to test SHORT CIRCUIT protection, and ITS NOT WORKING.

One is incredible! why not advice AP? customer service is perfect, obvius that change you unit. i think you have other project then.
dps-400 have shortcut protection, it use differential sensing of current as you can see with ring toroidal near power-unit.
maybe this unit have defect...not know.
and...sorry, i not understand well, in this GB all have dps-600 nothing with dps-400.

Last edited:
@ qusp

that your statement is false.
AP can cite for damage if you continue in this way

Sorry at all for OT

this circuit is visible at rear of power unit, it use green or orange ring toroide in DPS-400

Attachments

• DPS-400-Current-Protection.png
    DPS-400-Current-Protection.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 506
From what I've read of the thread, can't remember anyone posting listening impressions thus far... Has anyone fully completed their build yet?

I still need to get some tx's for testing purposes, thermal mounting kits/material and a case... I guess without the case [for heatsinks], I can't properly test the amps and power supplies.