"The Wire AMP" Class A/AB Power Amplifier based on the LME49830 with Lateral Mosfets

There is some simple argument to the 230V being better. Smaller ripple across the rectifier due to dual phase. Downside is that transformers get a little large when you want a low voltage.

In North America you can have your cake and eat it to. Large appliances use 230V as does stationary heating and hotwater heat. So 230V is available in every house. Having wired where you need it, well that you have to arrange.

I wired and built my house. So it is where I need it! Muhahaaaaa

Yeah... I've heard that Aussie voltage has high crossover distortion, and makes everything sound worse than it does it Canada. That's what you get for having perpetual nice weather while we freeze our a$$es off!

maybe, but its balanced so it must be better =D

the weather I just have to live with :p

@mwmkravchenko: search Greg Egan and qusp, you might find it a little more interesting, or you might find me a nutter, one of the 2.

the higher voltage has no bearing on the size of my transformers, mostly i use something identical to the 2 x 115 (ie i actually USE a dual 115) unless i go custom, in which case i use exactly the same core size as the dual 115 but with a single primary. I cant say we see too many single 115-120 primary transformers used in American designs, even commercial ones ive cracked open tend to use 2 x 115. Even though i had heard you have 230 available, I very rarely see it talked about on here as an option, so it cant be that common for your average outlet in a private dwelling, unless you have arranged for it as you say.

@hochopeper

yeah i had wondered what you do in the coal mine, i guess i should stay on your good side or you'll send all the dirty power my way?

Last edited:
I'll be sure to thoroughly clean all of your electrons. Just be sure to keep them out of people's aircons and PV inverters.

You guys realise our (meaning Aussies) supply is single phase right? Or have I totally miss-understood the talk of balanced/dual-phase supply?

Last edited:
actually i had thought that and thanks for the confirmation, having never tested phase on the wall. but ive seen mention here and elsewhere on the net that 230 is equivalent to balanced power and specifically in reference to Australia's 3 prong plug, ive never bothered to check up any further. It seems its a common misconception though.

cool ok youve just given me reason to get one of the tortech balanced 1000W or 2000W power supplies ive been ogling.

the europeans do though dont they? does anyone have balanced 230v from the wall for standard domestic then?

For the power hungry appliances you run three wire plus ground.
so what power connector do you use then? that cements it, ive never even seen mention of it used on here. sounds like the equivalent of our 3 phase.

is schuko a 4 prong?, never had one here in the flesh and looks like it could be unless the socket points on the cable mount plug are common

Last edited:
We just take one phase out of a 400V 3-phase system.

400/sqrt(3) = 230V

Tonight is first I had looked at how North American distribution works - seems they use split phase - Split-phase electric power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I hadn't looked at the tortech supplies. {I miss-read what you were saying about them, ignore ...} Take note of their caveat on that website, your RCD has no chance of working for anything powered off one of these.

Sorry opc, we've digressed massively again!

Last edited:
Just a consideration, in relation to the EMI filter. (heart connections)
DPS-400, using a filter that is unbalanced.(Eg. as CD Player) this does not require a link exhaustively to earth. but it is advisable to have the chassis ground. Also, to reduce RFI, the DPS-400 has a heat sink connected with a high voltage caps to heart.
DPS-600 uses a balanced filter, then requests a connection to the heart.

right, so theyre just talking about a single split phase as well, not 2 phase, we have the same here in some areas and dwellings but its 480v

DPS-600 uses a balanced filter, then requests a connection to the heart.

hmm AP2 i need some clarification here, can you show a schematic? i'm getting a bad feeling

Last edited:
right, so theyre just talking about a single split phase as well, not 2 phase, we have the same here in some areas and dwellings but its 480V

Not quite. Their split-phase supply is taking two actives and a connection to centre tap from a single winding. The 'Example Europe' in the split phase supply diagram on wikipedia is, best case, very miss leading IMO. This setup gives two active wires 180deg out of phase, hence doubling p-p voltage. This must be at least part of what's going on in those tortech supplies actually.

A 400V 3-phase connection here is 3 active wires (120deg out of phase) and a gnd wire from secondary of power transformer with 3 secondary windings wired as 'star'. I'd rather not get into star-delta and the rest here though...

For dps-600, it is same dps-500 on pdf.
Pic , ref to dps-400 Emi filter.

Attachments

• DPS-400-EMI-Filter.png
    DPS-400-EMI-Filter.png
    91.5 KB · Views: 453
haha i'm not actually Greg Egan, thats just where i pulled the idea of the qusp from. from his novels and the concept was initiated in a short story called singleton stands for Quantum singleton processor. the story is available online for free at that link, but its explored further in later full length novels and i find it quite intriguing (also hes a fantastic writer and very smart guy), also found enough parallels to creating an online persona to use it for my nick. happenstance would have it that it also looks a bit like a pair of in ear headphones surrounding the word 'us' .....q us p and headphones and related tech are my bread and butter

actually hes far from a nutter, but has some way out there ideas that are quite believable as the concepts are based on and described in scientific terms

anyway haha no more OT on that.

gotta get these amps finished so that there is more than chit chat. maybe i should build them up with the linear supply on breadboard just so we have some pics. hell we dont even have any internal pics of opc's build! how about helping us out with that Owen?

Last edited:
Not quite. Their split-phase supply is taking two actives and a connection to centre tap from a single winding. The 'Example Europe' in the split phase supply diagram on wikipedia is, best case, very miss leading IMO. This setup gives two active wires 180deg out of phase, hence doubling p-p voltage. This must be at least part of what's going on in those tortech supplies actually.

A 400V 3-phase connection here is 3 active wires (120deg out of phase) and a gnd wire from secondary of power transformer with 3 secondary windings wired as 'star'. I'd rather not get into star-delta and the rest here though...

i'm aware of that, but we also have some mistakenly called 2 phase dwellings in primarily rural areas that do exactly as you describe as split phase ie. taking 2 of the phases, connecting across them while using the center tap of the transformer as ground, so both describe it as 2 phase incorrectly.

AP2

no problem, so 'heart' as you describe it is what we call 'safety ground' or 'chassis ground' or 'earth' which makes sense; i just had to double check you werent meaning a center tap as described above

For dps-600, it is same dps-500 on pdf.
Pic , ref to dps-400 Emi filter.

Last edited: