"The Wire AMP" Class A/AB Power Amplifier based on the LME49830 with Lateral Mosfets

qusp 4 x PCB only
L-Train 2 x parts kit and 4 x PCB
Ferrari 4 x PCB only
holminator 2 x pcb and 2 x parts kit
1543 7 x PCB only
mr Slim 2 x pcb only
Cafe Noir 4 x pcb and 2 x parts kits
dillmeister 2 x pcb only
Spacehead 2 x pcb only
multisync 4 x pcb only
QRikard 2x kits 4x PCB
AKN 2 PCB and 2 part kits
jtktam 6 x pcb 6 x parts kit
bada bing 2 x pcb 2 x parts kit
heinz1 2 x pcb
pchw 2 x pcb
particleman14 x2 pcb
pieter t: 0x PCB (?), 6x parts kit
454Casull 8x PCB, 0x parts kit
glt 2x parts kit

nope, you understand incorrectly, we are listing them separately, so there is no confusion between a kit and a kit. so list the number of pcbs and then the number of parts kits separately

I think this part in the first post confuses a lot of people

I will also be running a kit with this that includes all of the parts required to build a complete amplifier. All the user will need to supply is the main heatsink and the power supply.

Because it says you only have to supply the heatsimk and the power supply, should probably mention you need to buy the required number of pcb as well.

-joe

qusp 4 x PCB only
Ferrari 4 x PCB only
1543 7 x PCB only
mr Slim 2 x pcb only
dillmeister 2 x pcb only
Spacehead 2 x pcb only
multisync 4 x pcb only
QRikard 2x kits 4x PCB
jtktam 12 x pcb 6 x parts kit
heinz1 2 x pcb
pchw 2 x pcb
particleman14 x2 pcb
glt 2x parts kit

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

igor0203:

Good question! You can set the slew rate independently using Ccomp for which I've added the option to do a two pole compensation scheme. National claims to support up to 110V/uS but you're probably pushing the limits of stability at that point. I would suggest (as they do) that you decide what power bandwidth you want to see, and then adjust the slew rate down to the lowest value that will accommodate your power level and bandwidth. I'll be running a more detailed investigation into this aspect of the design once I get boards in hand. It can make a great deal of difference in HF distortion if you can push the slew rate up and still maintain stability.

454Casull:

PSRR for the LME is around 130dB below 1kHz and gets progressively worse at higher frequencies hitting about 55dB at 20kHz. In terms of the whole system, it's hard to say. I can measure it during the next round of measurements once the boards arrive.

The parts kit will be reasonably well organized in the sense that all resistors of the same value will be left in their tape strips. I'm not going to be writing values on anything though, so the builder will be expected to read the markings on parts. I'll post up what each resistor marking is to ease any concerns around this. So in other words, don't expect a envelope full of loose 0805 SMD parts, and don't expect a tackle box with individually labelled notes on every part. I've never had complaints about the previous kits I've done, so hopefully that means they're alright.

As for the 12.5mm caps, they really won't fit. Those caps are certainly a little better in terms of ESR, but the best bet is to use regulators and then it's really a moot point considering the LME's draw a constant low current.

I may do another run of these in a year or so, but it's really hard to say for sure. It depends on interest really. If there are another 50 people in line after this run, then I'll definitely do another run eventually. If there are 10 people interested, then it won't happen.

pieter t:

The prices do include the board, but for the sake of keeping track it's better to list them separately as qusp mentioned. I take it you're building a home theater amp? You have a great opportunity there to share a common PSU which would let you build a really top notch home theater amp for a very good price.

jtktam:

The price of the kit does include the PCB. We're just listing it like this to keep track of exactly how many PCB's are consumed. I will know that if you order a kit, you expect a PCB with it. I can't think of a good reason someone would buy just the parts without wanting a PCB.

Cheers,
Owen

qusp 4 x PCB only
Ferrari 4 x PCB only
1543 7 x PCB only
mr Slim 2 x pcb only
dillmeister 2 x pcb only
Spacehead 2 x pcb only
multisync 4 x pcb only
QRikard 2x kits 4x PCB
heinz1 2 x pcb
pchw 2 x pcb
particleman14 x2 pcb
glt 2x PCB + 2x parts kit

Hi Guys,
454Casull:

PSRR for the LME is around 130dB below 1kHz and gets progressively worse at higher frequencies hitting about 55dB at 20kHz. In terms of the whole system, it's hard to say. I can measure it during the next round of measurements once the boards arrive.
Let's say I'm too lazy to build a C-multiplier supply; what rail-to-ground capacitance in a linear supply would you recommend for a 50-0-50V 800VA transformer feeding 8 channels?

As for the 12.5mm caps, they really won't fit. Those caps are certainly a little better in terms of ESR, but the best bet is to use regulators and then it's really a moot point considering the LME's draw a constant low current.

Cheers,
Owen
Fair enough. I could always bypass with a 0.1/1uF cap.

Last edited:
qusp 4 x PCB only
Ferrari 4 x PCB only
1543 7 x PCB only
mr Slim 2 x pcb only
dillmeister 2 x pcb only
Spacehead 2 x pcb only
multisync 4 x pcb only
QRikard 2x kits 4x PCB
heinz1 2 x pcb
pchw 2 x pcb
particleman14 x2 pcb
glt 2x PCB + 2x parts kit
amc 2x PCB + 2x parts kit

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

I compiled a list with everything to date, and I went back through and double checked everything so I'm fairly sure it's all correct.

Please check the list and let me know if anything is incorrect.

Again, I would like to emphasize that the boards are always listed separately from the parts kits, but the price of the parts kits ($78) includes the PCB.

I know it's a little confusing, but it works for now and I think people have got the hang of it.

454Casull:

Let's say I'm too lazy to build a C-multiplier supply; what rail-to-ground capacitance in a linear supply would you recommend for a 50-0-50V 800VA transformer feeding 8 channels?

Well, you've already got 8000uF of local capacitance per rail, so I would probably tack on another 10,000uF per channel per rail which would bring you up to about 88,000uF per rail. If you use good caps decent diodes that should keep the ripple to a minimum. You'll need thermistors for inrush control.

Fair enough. I could always bypass with a 0.1/1uF cap.

The 0.1uF parts are already there. C71 and C81 are right on the IC pins where they should be.

Cheers,
Owen

Attachments

• LME AMP MASTER LIST.pdf
    22.8 KB · Views: 635

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi 454Casull

I've been doing audio as a hobby for the past 15 years and I work for RIM where I handle all of the audio electronics for a variety of projects.

I had been with Paradigm for a while (more specifically on Anthem products) where I was working on switch mode supplies and power amplifiers. I left Paradigm for my current job with RIM about a year ago.

Cheers,
Owen

Hi Guys,

There's a new addition to "The Wire" series of projects I've been working on lately.

It's push-pull amplifier based on the LME49830 front end which drives a pair of ACD101NDD and ACD103PDD lateral mosfets. It's immensely versatile in that you can run essentially any rail voltage from about +/- 10V up to about +/-90V on the mosfets and get anywhere from 1W to 400W of output depending on the load and the rails. This is an amp that can be tailored to any situation.

You can also run the amp in class A, class AB, or class B if that's your thing.

For the input, you can run either fully balance, or with just one 0R jumper it can be configured for SE input. You can run the amplifier AC or DC coupled. There are separate supply options for running the LME49830 on higher rails than the mosfets which improves efficiency and allows for a good regulated supply for the front end. Alternatively, with a pair of 0R jumpers, you can run just a single +/- supply for both the LME and the mosfets.

The board is small enough to fit pretty much anywhere, and all you need to provide is the power supply and the heatsink! I've even got an optional regulated supply board for the LME section.

I've attached the schematic, the Excel worksheet to calculate power outputs and rails, along with the layout and a BOM.

The PCB will be a 3 layer design with a ground plane in the middle and signal routing on either side. The LME has its own heatsink and the two mosfets are mounted on a user supplied sink off the end of the board. The board measures 2.45" by 1.6" and has all the required mounting points.

I will also be running a kit with this that includes all of the parts required to build a complete amplifier. All the user will need to supply is the main heatsink and the power supply.

PCB's are going to be $12 per channel, and a full kit including all 0.1% thin film resistors, and the best caps available for this application will be $78 per channel. I've attached the price list for the amplifier kit which contains all the details.

There will be 50 boards made available, and it will be first come first serve. Please post here if you're interested in a just a board, or a board and a kit, along with how many of each. Any technical question are welcome as well!

Measurements to follow!

Cheers,
Owen

Looks like you have connected the Drains together on the PCB layout...
These are laterals after all, with a pin out of Gate-Source-Drain

Cheers

Anthony
Aussie Amplifiers

Just to repeat: Anybody ordering boards only will receive extra bare boards if the same number of parts kits are ordered.

Out of curiosity, what's your day job, and how long has audio (electronics) been a hobby for you?

no, anybody wanting to order extra bare pcbs will only recieve them is they order extra pcbs over and above the number needed to match the kits they have ordered. if i want 2 full kits including the pcbs as well as 2 extra pcbs
the order would be
4 x pcb and 2 parts kits

most people have got it, some still struggling =) its pretty straight forward, but its for the list, thought it would help making sure the numbers are right, but maybe not. the pcbs are included in the price of a full kit, but should be listed separately so that the number of pcbs that needs to be ordered matches the number in the list total

Last edited:
Hi 454Casull

I've been doing audio as a hobby for the past 15 years and I work for RIM where I handle all of the audio electronics for a variety of projects.

I had been with Paradigm for a while (more specifically on Anthem products) where I was working on switch mode supplies and power amplifiers. I left Paradigm for my current job with RIM about a year ago.

Cheers,
Owen
Interesting, have a few friends at RIM.

Anyway, I appreciate what you're doing for us.

You would get 6 PCBs with that order.

no, you wouldnt, you would get 4, we are separating the pcb from the parts by doing this. so if you want the full kit, you ask for 1 x pcb and 1 x part kit. you get charged the same, but (at least for some =P) its easier to keep it separate for Owen. where is the confusion? you are asking for what you are getting

0805 is really quite easy if you can get past the mind thing telling you its hard, 0402 now thats hard, there is a larger range of thin film resistors in 0805, they are cheaper and it allows for a better layout

Last edited:
qusp,

The confusion is in the price. The $78 kits includes 1 PCB. It's very clear in the price list. You are telling people that there are two types of PCBs. One is $0 PCB which has to be ordered with the kits. The other one is $12 PCB if you just want the bare board. Why confuse people like that?