• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"The Wiener" TPA3118 amplifier card

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Cogitech, how do you think the Wiener compares to the "lunch money" tda7297?

I'd have to set up a planned listening session. It's been quite a few days since I listened to the lunch money. Certainly the Weiner maintains its composure at much higher volume than the lunch money. The Weiner has less (maybe none) of that "tubey" feel that the lunch money has, but at the same time it is incredibly smooth. Not quite "warm", but certainly not " cold".

I'd have to set up a planned listening session. It's been quite a few days since I listened to the lunch money. Certainly the Weiner maintains its composure at much higher volume than the lunch money. The Weiner has less (maybe none) of that "tubey" feel that the lunch money has, but at the same time it is incredibly smooth. Not quite "warm", but certainly not " cold".

Still waiting for my Weiner amp to arrive, but I would agree with cogitech's listening impressions. The TDA7297 amp has a warmer sound, but slightly less detail (as in micro-detail) than the TPA3116 amps I've tried so far. I can see having both around to play music.

That said, it would be nice if someone came out with a TDA7297 Class AB amp that was on par with the DUG or Weiner TPA311x Class D amps in terms of build quality.

I'll let you know. I've only got a handful of inductors and populated PCBs left, and other people have asked already for cards, I'll have to figure out who asked for what in what order.

Picking up the last of the mounting hardware tomorrow, packaging everything up tomorrow evening, I promise all cards will be in the mail on Thursday.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
That said, it would be nice if someone came out with a TDA7297 Class AB amp that was on par with the DUG or Weiner TPA311x Class D amps in terms of build quality.

Indeed! And really, how hard could it be? I'm tempted to try it myself with some proto boards I have on the way.

What I mean is, the TDA requires so few components. Selecting good components and figuring out optimal routing shouldn't be too much work (even for a newb like me).

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Supportforum TI mentions thd could be lowered from datasheetvalues (=evm 400khz) if ceramics are replaced by film and switchingfrequency increased from standard 400khz. However they also say higher frequency also needs bigger effort, components, layout, cooling.

Interesting. I can confirm that my chip runs cooler at 500khz than it does at 1mhz. Not very scientific, but "moderate" volume at 1mhz results in chip temp of 42C, whereas "very loud" volume at 500khz results in chip temp of 38C. This is with no thermal solution other than the board sinking some heat, inside an enclosure with a psu and no active ventilation.

I should mention a couple other things, to put my "testing" into perspective. First, the speakers that I am using currently are ~88dB @ 1w/1m. So when Eva Cassidy is hitting peaks of 97.6dB the Wiener is pumping about 9-10 watts, peak.

Also, while I plan to run the Wiener on 4 ohm speakers the majority of the time, the speakers I am using for this testing are nominal 8 ohms, therefore I do not have an ideal high frequency roll-off. I can't hear much beyond about 15khz, so I don't know if this matters. I just figured I should disclose this to provide some context.

Last edited:
Got my board on Monday. Need to order a case. I plan to use a Dell Laptop 19v ~4amp power supply. Any recommendation of something better?

Thx Gary
That should do the job.

If it's got a 2 wire plug, make sure you ground the amp to the audio source, or you can get a horrible amount of noise going on due to ground potential differences between the amp and source. The TPA does have differential inputs but it can only handle about a volt of common mode AC interference.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
0.5mH+7.2ohm is another notation for castle tower load, if that is the speaker

Yes. "Castle Howard" style microTowers with dual CSS EL70.

My 4 ohm set are dismantled and ready for a new enclosure, which is near the bottom of a very long list of projects (including converting my carport to a garage and installing a garage door, removing the sliding glass door in our house and replacing it, installing ventilation fans in the bathroom and kitchen, finishing the trim work in the basement, installing laminate flooring in both my daughters' rooms and painting them... and on, and on...)

Mailed out today: Hammett, Nickk
Mailing out tomorrow: CFT, bob690, lutton, zog666, Nickk's forgotten filter kit.

Ran out of lockwashers (needed 2 per screw, bought 1, d'oh) getting some tomorrow and banging out a few more. Mounting kits include the hardware to stack like this:

nut
lockwasher
flat washer
PCB
round standoff
flat washer
chassis
flat washer
lockwasher
screw

Remaining orders to pack: linkfan, nwboater, guglielmope, dwpeterson, planet10, ronu9400, FantasticoGrande, paugie, AlanL. That's 31/40 orders mailed out as of tomorrow, getting closer to done.

And in other news, our dachshund Cheddar Smoke just had a hernia repaired today. She's fine, but a 2nd group buy will definitely be happening now.

Mailed out today: Hammett, Nickk
Mailing out tomorrow: CFT, bob690, lutton, zog666, Nickk's forgotten filter kit.

Ran out of lockwashers (needed 2 per screw, bought 1, d'oh) getting some tomorrow and banging out a few more. Mounting kits include the hardware to stack like this:

nut
lockwasher
flat washer
PCB
round standoff
flat washer
chassis
flat washer
lockwasher
screw

Remaining orders to pack: linkfan, nwboater, guglielmope, dwpeterson, planet10, ronu9400, FantasticoGrande, paugie, AlanL. That's 31/40 orders mailed out as of tomorrow, getting closer to done.

And in other news, our dachshund Cheddar Smoke just had a hernia repaired today. She's fine, but a 2nd group buy will definitely be happening now.

Gary,

How many dogs you have?

Regards,