The Whole Truth About Beryllium Diaphragms

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fair enough, but what if the cone were 98% paper and 2% kevlar, and the manufacturer told you it was "Kevlar".

Even though Mr. Mowry has an interest to protect, I am glad that he is exposing this issue for what it is. If the end product is better loudspeakers for us to play with, then I am grateful.

Have you looked at the STEALLUS motor design, it's quite remarkable, I wonder when a driver based on it will be available.

-David

DcibeL said:
I think most people who buy Be or diamond diaphragm speakers are paying a huge price premium just so they can tell their friends that they have some very exotic Be or diamond speaker. It's too bad there have been some false claims made by manufacturers to make a few bucks because people do buy into Be just because it's Be.

Fact? Soongsc, can you point me to some measurements or some data that could help prove your point? How can aluminum 1" tweeter with breakup at 25-30kHz have harsh sound? We don't hear the breakup, and for any harmonic distortion that propagates lower in frequency, the harmonic occurs at the breakup frequency which is above audible range. I don't see why the breakup must be above 50kHz, for me as long as it is above audible range there is no problem.
If you ever drop by Taiwan, I'd be glad to entertain you with the details. But you have to be here to hear it. I have already demonstrated to a few people here.

BHTX said:
Yeah, I was hoping this wasn't the case, but I'm not surprised. Compatibility between office suites and word processing apps etc has always been an existing problem. I used to use Open Office, but always had problems with it. I've had MS Office 2003 (and all the rest before it) as well, and couldn't stand it.

I've never had an issue with compatibility between Open Office and Excel, except when the Excel doc included VBA code. If you want to keep folks with open office from mucking about with your spreadsheet, put in some VBA, It's a feature, not a bug ;)

I use open office almost exclusively, but have an old version of excel for times when open office doesn't cut it - mostly this is when open office's charting problems rear their ugly head.....

gtforme00 said:

Have you looked at the STEALLUS motor design, it's quite remarkable, I wonder when a driver based on it will be available.

As well as some real world results on actual performance. The engineering effort which went in these designs seems very advanced and the simulations are very elaborate, but proof is in the performance of the actual drivers.

Usher Audio says.

We are very happy to have Dr. Joseph D'Appolito as Usher’s technical consultant since early 2000. A world-renowned authority in audio and acoustics, he specializes in loudspeaker system design with credentials galore: BEE, SMEE, EE and Ph.D., degrees from RPI, MIT and the University of Massachusetts. As a member of the Audio Engineering Society, Dr. D'Appolito has published over 30 journal and conference papers. His most popular and influential brainchild has to be the MTM (midrange/tweeter/midrange vertical array) commonly known as the D'Appolito Configuration that’s used by dozens of manufacturers throughout the world.

mowry said:
Usher Audio says.

We are very happy to have Dr. Joseph D'Appolito as Usher’s technical consultant since early 2000. A world-renowned authority in audio and acoustics, he specializes in loudspeaker system design with credentials galore: BEE, SMEE, EE and Ph.D., degrees from RPI, MIT and the University of Massachusetts. As a member of the Audio Engineering Society, Dr. D'Appolito has published over 30 journal and conference papers. His most popular and influential brainchild has to be the MTM (midrange/tweeter/midrange vertical array) commonly known as the D'Appolito Configuration that’s used by dozens of manufacturers throughout the world.

And?

mowry said:
Usher Audio says.

We are very happy to have Dr. Joseph D'Appolito as Usher’s technical consultant since early 2000.

Old news
I think he is involved mostly in applications and standard model ie enclosure/crossover design, not too much in day-day driver design or materials processes. Although I'm sure he has preferences in things where/within the drivers that he tends to select.

Hello all,

This is Rosa scottfield from SONIC .
Here i¡¯d like to say alittle opinion about so-called truth :

1.Is that our diaphragm has better performance and cheaper than what you can provide.Thus you¡¯re planned and showed up at such high profile , no matter any where you could show your stuff ? even tried to push and command us to buy Be materials from you .

2.If we wanted to cheat or deceive on what we have, why should we provide SGS report to our customers? Starting from the beginning, You ,Stephen pretended to be our potential customers and bought samples from us, until now you stand out and said , what we have is bogus beryllium We really desire to know what you up to.

3 The proportional of raw materials is not important from our point of view. The most important is the sound quality. We are the provider of diaphargm based on Be materials; we are not the provider of Be materials or foil.

4 We never deny that the proportional of Be in our part is low and never provide false SGS report to our customer. The cost of Be diaphragm is much cheaper than the pure Be diaphragm. We really do not know why we are cheating customers from Stephen's point of view.

5.Usher's speaker system won Golden Ear Award at CES for several consecutive years. Their system is based on our Be Alloy diaphragm. The judges of CES are all experts and fair. No one can bride them. These awards prove that our quality is good indeed. Stephen claims that Usher uses Be to fool people. If this is true, which means that the judges at CES show was fooled by simply the name of "Be"
which is what we can not agree upon, not to mention these judges themselves. If it is true that those judges was fooled by the name of "Be diaphragm," then how comes thoese Audio System based on pure "Be" can not win the award?

i got the e-mails about the issue while we discussed this matter with Stephen , i will let it on the public !

rosa.scottfield said:
Hello all,

1.Is that our diaphragm has better performance and cheaper than what you can provide.Thus you¡¯re planned and showed up at such high profile , no matter any where you could show your stuff ? even tried to push and command us to buy Be materials from you .

In 2004 SONIC's "Beryllium" was analyzed in California. The results revealed it was painted titanium. Here's the report http://www.electrofusionproducts.com/userfiles/China_Be_Domes_Report.pdf

By 2007 SONIC's Beryllium contained 6075 parts per million of beryllium and 88.47% titanium. This is titanium alloy foil. However, the color is a very close match to acoustic grade beryllium. Here's the test report but note on the first page the material was submitted as "Beryllium Foil" http://www.s-m-audio.com/grayfoil.pdf . SGS determined it to be Gray Foil.

Angelo's link came up with this:

"Our company established since 1981,majored in manufacturing parts of speaker diaphragm、 cone paper 、dust cover etc.,also devoted to do research on special materials applications such as BERYLLIUM、KELVAR、CARBON、TITANIUM ALLOY、MAGNISIUM ALLOY、GRANITE and CERAMIC."

Interesting that they mention Titanium and Magnesium alloys, but not Beryllium alloys, if that's what they are.

Brett said:
Angelo's link came up with this:

"Our company established since 1981,majored in manufacturing parts of speaker diaphragm cone paper dust cover etc.,also devoted to do research on special materials applications such as BERYLLIUMKELVARCARBONTITANIUM ALLOYMAGNISIUM ALLOYGRANITE and CERAMIC."

Interesting that they mention Titanium and Magnesium alloys, but not Beryllium alloys, if that's what they are.

Yes, and they will shortly introduce Unobtainium but only 500 parts per million.

I hope you are properly authorized to release such information though. There are lots of different laws in different countries that regulate release of certain information.

This is apparently info available openly on the net.

Fortunately, North America doesn't so far block internet traffic yet - in contrast to certain Asian countries.

I also do not understand your concern in the face of Chinese patent theft, no concern for unauthorized use there apparently, especially in view of the fact that China does not have a patent act.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.