The Whole Truth About Beryllium Diaphragms

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
BOGUSIUM INDEED

The argument from several people here, that it just "doesn´t matter" what you call it as long as it sounds and performs well... it stinks.

A case in point: in the Philippines, I once (knowingly) bought a fake "Rolex" brand watch which looks like a Rolex. And you know what? It worked really well for several years. It kept time just great.

So, it performed the same function with maybe 80% of the quality, at 1/1000th of the price, well that´s good, right?
Hey, it performed well, so why not call it a real Rolex, right?
Not long after I bought it, I wore through the gold plating and it looked like poo... but i didn´t mind, as i had paid 20 bucks for it.

But if I had paid 1/3 the price of a real Rolex, I might have been just a little peeved about the gold plating thing. Keep this in mind, at the end of this rant, we will sum things up.

Hey, SoongC... you seem to defend these practices, although in a less obvious way. Do you? And do you sell Usher products?

Now, some special words for Rosa "lets-attack-mowry-for-exposing-our-dark-intentions- and -try-to baffle-the-others-with-BS"....

your argument sounds about as well founded as that of the people who sell fake Rolex watches...

And your intentions, much like theirs, are quite remarkably transparent and easily seen....

I am reasonably sure that many of this community are offended by your ugly attempts to justify deceptive and FRAUDULENT trade practices... and even more so by your scathing attacks on Steve Mowry for exposing your company.

As for Usher, I´m really glad they won all those awards using deceptive and fraudulent advertising (even if it was "unintentional")
I´m sure their customers would be oh so very happy to find that their fancy beryllium tweeters are the same as the PE 28USD version. Yup, but they perform well... and won many awards...

So, hello marketing? Let´s see how we can get a way with selling a 300 USD parts cost speaker (MADE-IN-F´ING-CHINA!!) for 16,000USD .... oh, I know, let it Be, let it Be, Be Beryllium

Yup, here it is at last folks, a real "Rolex equivalent", made in China, with Rolex like pretensions and with near Rolex like performance....

Let´s see, the main body is Gold PLATED instead of milled from solid gold... but if we SAY it´s Solid Gold, just like a Rolex, it´ll sell better....

since that does not affect performance...

well, it´s such a minor difference that maybe we should just omit that part of the info and no damage done, right? and oh, by the way, we will price it at only 2/3 of the Rolex price...

SHAME ON YOU , USHER!! What part of the word FRAUD don´t you understand? Unintentional? UNINTENTIONAL???
I don´t care if your speakers DO sound good, you are liars and con artists. At one point i was very close to buying some of your drivers. Now, I will NEVER buy one of your products.

By the way, what is the Chinese word for "unintentional fraud?"
I think I´ve heard it pronounced like this: CHA-CHING $$$

In closing, a special question for Rosa: is it true you used to work for those fake-Rolex guys before they went into the audio business? Hey Rosa, some of us audio geeks actually LIKE women like you! What other kind of special services do you offer?

Rosa, at the end of each of your posts, you have posted a wise Chinese proverb. On behalf of many in this community, please take your own advice. Shut up, indeed!

In closing, CHA-CHING$$$, CHA-CHING$$$, CHA-CHING$$$

Re: BOGUSIUM INDEED

Santiago53 said:
The argument from several people here, that it just "doesn´t matter" what you call it as long as it sounds and performs well... it stinks.

A case in point: in the Philippines, I once (knowingly) bought a fake "Rolex" brand watch which looks like a Rolex. And you know what? It worked really well for several years. It kept time just great.

So, it performed the same function with maybe 80% of the quality, at 1/1000th of the price, well that´s good, right?
Hey, it performed well, so why not call it a real Rolex, right?
Not long after I bought it, I wore through the gold plating and it looked like poo... but i didn´t mind, as i had paid 20 bucks for it.

But if I had paid 1/3 the price of a real Rolex, I might have been just a little peeved about the gold plating thing. Keep this in mind, at the end of this rant, we will sum things up.
Hey, SoongC... you seem to defend these practices, although in a less obvious way. Do you? And do you sell Usher products?

Now, some special words for Rosa "lets-attack-mowry-for-exposing-our-dark-intentions- and -try-to baffle-the-others-with-BS"....

your argument sounds about as well founded as that of the people who sell fake Rolex watches...

And your intentions, much like theirs, are quite remarkably transparent and easily seen....

I am reasonably sure that many of this community are offended by your ugly attempts to justify deceptive and FRAUDULENT trade practices... and even more so by your scathing attacks on Steve Mowry for exposing your company.

As for Usher, I´m really glad they won all those awards using deceptive and fraudulent advertising (even if it was "unintentional")
I´m sure their customers would be oh so very happy to find that their fancy beryllium tweeters are the same as the PE 28USD version. Yup, but they perform well... and won many awards...

So, hello marketing? Let´s see how we can get a way with selling a 300 USD parts cost speaker (MADE-IN-F´ING-CHINA!!) for 16,000USD .... oh, I know, let it Be, let it Be, Be Beryllium

Yup, here it is at last folks, a real "Rolex equivalent", made in China, with Rolex like pretensions and with near Rolex like performance....

Let´s see, the main body is Gold PLATED instead of milled from solid gold... but if we SAY it´s Solid Gold, just like a Rolex, it´ll sell better....

since that does not affect performance...

well, it´s such a minor difference that maybe we should just omit that part of the info and no damage done, right? and oh, by the way, we will price it at only 2/3 of the Rolex price...

SHAME ON YOU , USHER!! What part of the word FRAUD don´t you understand? Unintentional? UNINTENTIONAL???
I don´t care if your speakers DO sound good, you are liars and con artists. At one point i was very close to buying some of your drivers. Now, I will NEVER buy one of your products.

By the way, what is the Chinese word for "unintentional fraud?"
I think I´ve heard it pronounced like this: CHA-CHING $$$

In closing, a special question for Rosa: is it true you used to work for those fake-Rolex guys before they went into the audio business? Hey Rosa, some of us audio geeks actually LIKE women like you! What other kind of special services do you offer?

Rosa, at the end of each of your posts, you have posted a wise Chinese proverb. On behalf of many in this community, please take your own advice. Shut up, indeed!

In closing, CHA-CHING$$$, CHA-CHING$$$, CHA-CHING$$$

Amen brother, Amen,

We all have faults but these people have gone too far and where is Dr. Joe? Oh he didn't know.

I sent a message to Dr. Joe in November 2008 asking him for information. He never replied to me.

Oh I found him, here he is.

Attachments

• joesher.jpg
    joesher.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 274
Re: BOGUSIUM INDEED

Santiago53 said:

I don't sell or use any Usher products. Personally, I think the sound quality is not up to par with what I would like. But I do admire some of the nice finish they have. I've actually been seeking to find more places around here that can do that kind of paint quality.

I don't defend a particular party, but I do wish to see more fair evidence rather than all the mud throwing. I think this is as ungly as politics, and feel sad to see this happen in the audio industry. Audio should be fun and inspiring.

Re: Re: BOGUSIUM INDEED

soongsc said:

I don't sell or use any Usher products. Personally, I think the sound quality is not up to par with what I would like. But I do admire some of the nice finish they have. I've actually been seeking to find more places around here that can do that kind of paint quality.

I don't defend a particular party, but I do wish to see more fair evidence rather than all the mud throwing. I think this is as ungly as politics, and feel sad to see this happen in the audio industry. Audio should be fun and inspiring.

I could not agree more but let's keep it clean.

Brett said:
You are missing the point.

Use jewellery as an analogy: if someone were to sell me a necklace that was 24K gold, it looked and felt like 24K gold, and all my friends commented upon how good it looked on me, and then I found out it was 2% gold and I paid 24K prices for it, I have been mislead and defrauded. No amount of telling me how great I looked in it will replace that.
Well, it depends on whether you got it because you like it for the value of the gold content, or you liked the lookes.

rosa.scottfield said:
I¡¯ll say the same thing .:

we¡¯d like to ask you , what is the most important part for the produce a driver / sound box ? is that the performance of sound or each elements proportional at the material ?

¡°These folks tend to hang in the darkness and it's a challenge to get any information from them. ¡±

.If we wanted to cheat or deceive on what we have, It¡¯s unnecessary for us to offer the SGS to our customers. Not as your claimed at above .

,you do not know SONIC¡¯S raw material and production art , how can you say that the diaphragms of SONIC is the fake one ? or eather painted on or vapor deposited ? if it¡¯s painted titanium or anyelse , how come the diaphragms could so brittle and fragile ? you may question the toxicity issue of BE, the pure BE is unstable and toxic of course .but our BE ALLOY is very stable after forming process. During our forming process , the BE will be just like skin removed from diapragms/cones body layer by layers under oxidization effect .

Old words ,i f the performance of 1-2% Be diaphragm is identical to the performance of 100% Be diaphragm or even better, which one you¡¯d like to do it ? or , your behind company could not have the technology to manufacture good performance Be by the proportional of 1-2% that paid you to cast aspersoins on us ? what¡¯s your motivation?

It¡¯s doesn¡¯t matter for any comments to our products from you STEPHEN, one point is that our products is better than you or your behind company could offer..our former customer Usher's speaker system won Golden Ear Award at CES for several consecutive years. Their system is based on our Be Alloy diaphragm. If as you mentioned that the high-purity could performance better then how comes thoese Audio System based on pure "Be" can not win the award?

It¡¯s not a disgrace and shameful behaviour to spread the slander to fellow trader ,but the dirty thoughts started points at your personal/corporate gain .we will not discuss this issue with you any longer ,because there ¡®s no any common with a person one who is insincere and prtentious . A wolf in sheep's clothing
Why not call some of the things "Be Enhanced Alloy"? I would assume this would bring less arguments?

soongsc said:

Why not call some of the things "Be Enhanced Alloy"? I would assume this would bring less arguments?

You are not listening to me. Usher's gray dome material is not an alloy at all. Alloying Be with Titanium is light years from trivial. This is from a previous post.

There have been people that have come forward and provided more information regarding this topic. I will outline some new information below.

The Usher Beryllium is not an alloy. It is a powder coated like titanium foil. The beryllium and thus the beryllium color is either painted on or vapor deposited. A typical metal tweeter dome is about 30 microns thick. The content by mass of the Usher dome is 0.6075% beryllium. Because the density of the beryllium is low relative to the titanium, the percent by volume is about 1.5%. That is consistant with a coating of about 0.3 micron on both sides of the titanium. I have simulated this and the effect of the beryllium coating is pretty much zero. I cannot find any reference to a titanium/beryllium alloy anywhere on the Internet and if I did find a 2% nominal beryllium alloy it would not be a close match to the bluish-steel gray color of beryllium foil like the Usher domes are. As with the CuBe2, a TiBe2 would have the color of titanium. Just like CuBe2 has the color of copper. AlBeMet 140 is 40% Be and 60% aluminum and it has an aluminum color. Usher's domes are a close color match to acoustic grade beryllium foil. They have no noticable smell but something stinks here.

This is consistant with testing in 2004 of parts from Usher's supplier, SONIC with offices in Taiwan and factory in China.

http://www.audioxpress.com/magsdirx/voxcoil/addenda/media/BogusBeryllium.pdf

Would you call aluminum metalized poly bags, aluminum bags and write Aluminum right on the bag? The analogy to Bogusium is very close.

Now are all you Decepticons tuning in?

Hey Steve, let´s not spread the blame too far.

It may not be at all fair to Dr Joe, as in all likelihood he just measures the finished prototype drivers in their proposed boxes, runs simulations on em and creates suitable crossover networks.
Having done similar contracting work, I can tell you that there is absolutely no control over the end product or marketing process. And you probably know this from some of your own experience.

If one of my clients says to me "here is a beryllium dome driver", and i don´t have the inclination to disbelieve my client, or the time to verify the materials content, well then i tend to believe them and just do the design work, and sleep quite soundly at the end of the day.

Dr Joe probably just took the ingredients they gave him and made a critically acclaimed system. No shame there.

It may well be that Dr Joe is acutely embarrassed by this issue but feels there is nothing constructive to be gained (and much to be lost, including his hard earned professional reputation) by entering into this fray. I know if I were in his shoes, I would not respond either. His name will (probably unjustly) suffer enough as it is.

Let´s not diffuse the attention by including someone who is more than likely just a hired contractor doing the job he was paid to do.... and probably not aware of the fake beryllium issue until well after the design phase was over.

Nope, don´t sling arrows at the wrong guys, aim square at the villains. Them villains is Sonic and Usher.

So, let´s carefully and accurately refocus the flamethrower on the greedy little creeps that have knowingly committed fraud... and who will continue to do so until enough heat has been applied to render their derrieres into Chicharron.

by the way, the allusion to Chicharron is entirely deliberate....

Chicharron comes from taking pork skin and deep-frying it in boiling oil...

Of course, I wouldn´t dare imply that the con artists are pigs, but if the slipper fits....

Are you listening Rosa?

Hey SoongC, what is your motive for trying to gloss over the Sonic/Usher beryllium FRAUD issue?

Your queries and comments look suspiciously like you have a vested interest in helping sonic and Usher look better than they are.

If you are selling audio goods, be aware that this is NOT making you look good. Maybe to chinese eyes this kind of stuff is OK, but not to most of the Western world.

Is this too blunt?

Well, are you or are you not an audio dealer, and do you or do you not represent some products using alloy domes made by Sonic? like maybe usher speakers?

I hope my suspicions are unfounded, and of course invite you to reply directly, without evasion.

Best Regards

Santiago53 said:
Hey SoongC, what is your motive for trying to gloss over the Sonic/Usher beryllium FRAUD issue?

Your queries and comments look suspiciously like you have a vested interest in helping sonic and Usher look better than they are.

If you are selling audio goods, be aware that this is NOT making you look good. Maybe to chinese eyes this kind of stuff is OK, but not to most of the Western world.

Is this too blunt?

Well, are you or are you not an audio dealer, and do you or do you not represent some products using alloy domes made by Sonic? like maybe usher speakers?

I hope my suspicions are unfounded, and of course invite you to reply directly, without evasion.

Best Regards

Please, Usher's domes are not an alloy. See my post just a few above.

mowry said:

You are not listening to me. Usher's gray dome material is not an alloy at all. Alloying Be with Titanium is light years from trivial. This is from a previous post.

There have been people that have come forward and provided more information regarding this topic. I will outline some new information below.

The Usher Beryllium is not an alloy. It is a powder coated like titanium foil. The beryllium and thus the beryllium color is either painted on or vapor deposited. A typical metal tweeter dome is about 30 microns thick. The content by mass of the Usher dome is 0.6075% beryllium. Because the density of the beryllium is low relative to the titanium, the percent by volume is about 1.5%. That is consistant with a coating of about 0.3 micron on both sides of the titanium. I have simulated this and the effect of the beryllium coating is pretty much zero. I cannot find any reference to a titanium/beryllium alloy anywhere on the Internet and if I did find a 2% nominal beryllium alloy it would not be a close match to the bluish-steel gray color of beryllium foil like the Usher domes are. As with the CuBe2, a TiBe2 would have the color of titanium. Just like CuBe2 has the color of copper. AlBeMet 140 is 40% Be and 60% aluminum and it has an aluminum color. Usher's domes are a close color match to acoustic grade beryllium foil. They have no noticable smell but something stinks here.

This is consistant with testing in 2004 of parts from Usher's supplier, SONIC with offices in Taiwan and factory in China.

http://www.audioxpress.com/magsdirx/voxcoil/addenda/media/BogusBeryllium.pdf

Would you call aluminum metalized poly bags, aluminum bags and write Aluminum right on the bag? The analogy to Bogusium is very close.

Now are all you Decepticons tuning in?
My response was to rosa.scottfield . I am already confused about what you are saying. You skip from very low Be content to now color coated. Too complicated from me to follow.

In case someone missed the OBVIOUS

Attention Chinese brothers and sisters (especially Rosa)

It is NOT acceptable to say that gold plated items are made of solid gold and then sell them that way.

This is not just a "cultural" difference.

Some of the english words for this are:

greed

deceit

fraud

theft

What are the Chinese words for this aside from CHA-CHING?

Rosa: We don´t like it, and we tend to not trust people who try and steal from us.

SoongC:
It´s not about politics. it´s about basic human fairness.
Audio is not going to be a "happy place" until more people stop being greedy and give us good products at a fair value...

And, no, I´m most definitely not a racist. I know and admire some wonderful chinese people. And I positively LOVE chinese women.
(But not the ones like Rosa)

Do you get the point?
It is just not OK to steal or commit fraud.

Santiago53 said:

Is this too blunt?

Best Regards
The whole topic is about "Whole Truth About Beryllium Diaphragms" and I expect to get the WHOLE TRUTH, and not just what a person representing one company bashing another.

I am new in audio design, and this mud throwing just makes the industry look bad.

I do not represent any of the brands you mention here, and up to now, nor have I used any products from any.

I hope you are here to know the WHOLE TRUTH. Because as soon as anyone here can publish in this thread his/her own measurement data, I have some of my measurements that will probably but pure Be dome drivers to shame.

mowry said:

Well that's Usher's plan, Beryllium Oxide, then Beryllium, then Beryllium Alloy. It's not like these guys have provided a material analysis. They are Dancers.
Well, I happen to know you dancing around a few questions as well. So what is new?

What I really want to know is what a good pure Be domed tweeter would perform like compared to other material. Up to now you have not provided any information on your own.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.