The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is a great example of how an unwritten rule leads to dispute and the need for moderation. If post guidelines were clearly stated in the forum rules, things wouldn’t have got as far.
As evidenced by this thread, unseen rules lead to disputes that turn personal (even the objective guys fall prey to it). In the interest of the community, it is good to be up front about what is deemed acceptable.
Moderation has been applied. Just because it's not the way you prefer, doesn't mean it's lacking. There are plenty of other audio forums with varying degrees of moderation. You are free to choose.

There is nothing to hide from people with serious interest.
So you won't disclose it to me or bohrok2610 because we don't have serious interest? Now that's a conspiracy theory.

As I said, anyone is free to PM if they want to discuss in more detail.
Ah, that way it's hidden from the public's eyes. Got it. :bfold: You sure do mention PM a lot on this forum.

There is a theory in cognitive psychology that says in order to understand something, first one has to believe it. Then if it turns out to be false, one has to go through another mental process to unbelieve it.

Consider if a student is supposed to learn something, but has already decided they believe the subject is all BS. Then they will not pay attention needed to understand. Their attention will be focused on finding fault, so as to confirm their preexisting belief.

In addition, the topic of subjective listening tends to bring out trolls who disbelieve that it can ever be reliable. It is not possible to have a productive conversation in that case. Its becomes like arguing politics on Facebook type of forum activity.

So, those who want to think about setting up their own panel can discuss how that might be done without a lot of distracting noise. Other people who are looking to find find fault and or create disruption can go elsewhere to find their fun.

Last edited:
There is a theory in cognitive psychology that says in order to understand something, first one has to believe it. Then if it turns out to be false, one has to go through another mental process to unbelieve it.

Consider if a student is supposed to learn something, but has already decided they believe the subject is all BS. Then they will not pay attention needed to understand. Their attention will be focused on finding fault, so as to confirm their preexisting belief.

You probably did not realize that this fits you perfectly. You have a pre-existing belief that there are audible differences so you tend to find faults in anyone suggesting otherwise.

Another thing you bring up a lot on this forum is psychology.
You are ignoring how that decision would have been formed. There are plenty of former believers who woke up to the reality of objective listening comparison.

You have a pre-existing belief that there are audible differences so you tend to find faults in anyone suggesting otherwise.

Not really. Syn08 posted a good list examples where people fooled themselves when listening. Of course people fool themselves sometimes when listening, there is no question about that. The problem becomes how to avoid or at least minimize the cognitive traps that produce listening errors. IMHO and IME proper use of panels of independent trusted listeners, and use of repeated listening trials over multiple days can substantially overcome the problems. That's my opinion.

IMHO and IME proper use of panels of independent trusted listeners, and use of repeated listening trials over multiple days can substantially overcome the problems.
How do you set up the comparison rig to ensure that aural memory is fresh between devices being tested, levels are matched and human bias is controlled? Give us some details of such setup.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Mark,
Of course people fool themselves sometimes when listening, there is no question about that. The problem becomes how to avoid or at least minimize the cognitive traps that produce listening errors.
That is difficult for anyone to avoid. It is one reason why I do not judge my own work. I listen to it, but I don't repeat my opinion to anyone as you really can't judge your own work impartially. I tend to be extremely critical of what I have done.
IMHO and IME proper use of panels of independent trusted listeners, and use of repeated listening trials over multiple days can substantially overcome the problems. That's my opinion.
You know what? I agree with you completely.

In addition, since I can look at the audio spectrum up to around 90 KHz to depths approaching -140 dB from a 1 watt reference, or 1 volt out, those measurements go a long way to keeping me honest - looking at the truth. So I would add that in addition to listening panels, if you could also include some bench testing that will show at least -120 dB, you would be much more able to stay on track. There is simply no problem with using as much information as is available to you to come to a good evaluation.

-Chris

Quote please. I have good reasons to believe you are misinterpreting the theory (if such exists) or citing out of context.

Are you saying that in order to understand religion I have to believe in some sort of deity? Nonsense, and the reciprocal is to me nonsense too.

Status
Not open for further replies.