The Weather

No such thing as an average day. Weather is a step function.

I have learned this in my 20 years of visiting the Dayton hamfest. I can remember wearing boots, jeans, a thick shirt, and a jacket, then flip flops, shorts, and a tank top, in the same day separated by a few hours. Last year we got cold, rain, hail and 60 MPH wind gusts.....for 3 days straight. We were hoping for a step in the "better" direction.

I am headed back there on Thursday. Two of the three Dayton TV stations predict similar weather, one says Friday will be cool and sunny.....my guess is none of them can predict the weather more than 5 minutes in the future.

The same thing can happen in Florida but it is not as common. It is usually a rapid temperature drop associated with a cold front that pushed through. I have seen a few 60 degree temperature drops in a single day. 85 degrees in the morning, 25 degrees in the evening. Predicting a winter cold front in Florida is relatively easy....getting the hurricane predictions right?

The disastrous launch of the space shuttle Challenger was such a day. The temps were in the 80's all through the week when they rolled it out and set it up on the launch pad. Then overnight on launch day a front pushed through and by morning it was 18 degrees. That massive mass went through some thermal shock in the reverse direction from what it was designed for. The launch was delayed until lunch time waiting for a warm up that never came. I remember that it was a crystal clear day, because I watched the launch as I walked toward my car at lunch break from work. I was 180 miles south of the cape.

I can imagine a thousand restaurant owners crying out, then silence.

They'll be yelling simultaneous with the beach club owners here.
Afair, there's only been one day/weekend warm enough for them to make some cash.

Could be worse.
A couple of years ago, one of my neighbors further up the street figured he wanted to be the owner of the most luxurious beach club.
Within two years after the opening he threw in the towel, but selling the place is next to impossible in the current economy.
Only option he had left was to rent it out to a catering company, that uses it for private parties now and then.
If he's lucky, the annual rent may cover the insurance and beach lease fees.
Beach lease fee is in the order of $50 per feet frontal width, his place is also twice as wide as those of the competition. :clown:

Five years ago, he had plans to sell out completely, was offering his house for €3.9m, to relocate on a permanent basis to his home in southern Portugal. Guess he picked the wrong color at the roulette table.

Attachments

• verso_outside.jpg
    verso_outside.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
A very nice day here today; cloudy and reasonably warm in the morning (it rained a bit last night), and opening nicely to a blue sky with yellow sun in the afternoon delight.
Right now it's a beautiful evening with blue satin/aquamarine/light navy blue sky colors, and auguring very well for a gorgeous weekend here on paradise alley point.

You can tell when it's a nice day by the harmonic singing tunes from various birds species.
...Natural smooth lovely melodies. ...Better than reproduced music; because it's live and the emotional impact is you are there in the now.

I'll install my hammock this weekend. ...And invite few young good lookin' girls in bikini. :) ...What a tough life!

Soory, can't do; the girls won't allow their pictures to be shown on the Internet...you'll have to come by to see for yourself, Chris. :)

He he, :D:D:D!!!!:D:D:D!!!!!

On topic: it's finally started getting warmer up here in Scotland. Aside from this and the first half of April around Easter break, the average temp has been pretty dissapointing; < 15°C ( ~ 60°F ) so far. Good to see an upturn in this trend.

Last edited:
I'll have to send some heat up the dying gulf stream to you. 18C is the nightly
low here. 30C+ tropical every day.

The 50 different tree frog species sing a nice tune - they can even get
loud (if it rains). Sometimes they sing before it rains (they know !! ).

Glowing fungi have burst forth , night time looks ghostly. Some moths glow
... we have a glowing spider . You don't need no drugs to "bug out" here.
Fungi is cool (to eat). Lots of oyster mushrooms to fill the back pack up
with - cook with butter .... ummmm !

OS