The Weather

Those power issues like you seems to have in the US we don't have here. All systems are connected in the EU, and if the local plant goes down, they throw some switches and the power comes from further away within minutes mostly. We had problems with the old nuclear plants in Belgium (that deliver half of the power), but even with 6 of the 7 generators down (for maintenance or for technical issues), there was still enough power availeble from neighbouring countries to feed our needs. Our gouverment also pays some facilities to be on stand-by to start up gas plants when needed. But power production and distribution is not free market here, it's heavy regulated and controlled by the gouverment, altough the power plants are private bussinesses. The distribution grid is gouverment owned here. Power cuts happens sometimes, but mostly it's a matter of minutes, very exceptionally going over an hour of no power, and they are rare.

The same story is in Croatia, it is true that I live in one of the worse EU countries, but I really don't remember the last time we had a power outage.
If it does, it takes a few minutes while the network switches. Even my parents who live on one small island have a loop over two cables under the sea so they always have power if one falls out.
In our country, only renewable power plants are private, everything else is owned and controlled by the state.
Also, one of the most famous manufacturers of transformers in the world is from Croatia, the company Rade Končar, which works together with the German Siemens. There are their transformers all over the country and I really don't remember any ever burning out, I know they change preventively due to years of operation or from ten years ago when the mains voltage changed from 220V to 240V.

Attachments

• an6.jpg
    an6.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 149
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The Earths' climate is dynamic. It has always changed and always will, regardless of human activity. A mere 10,000 years ago the ice was more than a mile thick in the spot where I sit and type right now. That's a small slice of geological time for such a radical change in the local weather. The current alarm over global warming is based on the unspoken notion that the climate is stable, so the entire argument has no basis in reality. Modern scientific measurements have only confirmed what the climate has been doing forever. No real cause for alarm unless you're planning on living for another 10,000 years.

Problem is humans - and the food we eat - did not evolve in a hot climate. 50 million yrs ago, it was a very unpleasant place at about +8 Celsius higher than now. Over the last 35 million yrs, the earth cooled and for the first time in 250 million yrs, we again had ice caps (before that, it was c. 275 million yrs ago).

The real issue is we have pumped 2.5 trillion tons (that's a cube with 109 km sides) in the last 150 yrs. When I went to high school in the early 1970's I was taught CO2 concentration in the atmosphere was about 280 ppm. It's now 409 ppm (and wasn't that high for about 10 million yrs IIRC). Nothing will now stop it going to between 430ppm and 450 ppm in the next 30 yrs. That represents a huge shock the Earths climate regulation feedback system in the blink of an eye in geological timescales - in 200 yrs, a potent greenhouse gas would have almost doubled in concentration. The Earth will move to new, higher temp, and stabilize around that point, but that will mean massive changes in flora and fauna. Just recently, the Amazon rain forest became a net producer of CO2, rather than a sink, which it has been for at least 50 million yrs.

See the latest NatGeo for a prediction on the temperature rises of major cities between now and 2050 - many in northern Mexico, the southern USA, North Africa, the Middle East, Arabia, Pakistan, India and western China will be uninhabitable for 3-4 months of the year. You can expect there will be mass migration as a result.

I wonder how my grandson will be living in 50 years time after I have gone.

When the last chapter is written climate will only be a footnote. Climate will be small potatoes (pun intended).

We will be back in the Stone Age with a much reduced population due to shortages of fuel, clean water, food and we humans will have drown in our own pollution.

Co2 will not have been the problem.

Go dig up some copper and beryllium to save the planet.

Thanks DT

Well, I agree climate change will ultimately be a footnote (pollution as well...) as the planet will continue on without us. We'll have to just disagree on the CO2 issue. The big question, of course, is do we want to be a part of it and do we want to try to do anything about it... That's what I've devoted the majority of my life to.

Preview
Hello,

In the 1940’s when the “The Road to Survival” was written by William Vogt, the demise of the human race was at hand. In 1968 Paul Ehrlich told us in the “Population Bomb” that the human race had only twelve years until the end.

AOC in 2020 told us we only we had only twelve years. So there is an eco Chicken Little theme going on here, the sky is falling, 12 years past decades ago.

I see the eco-threat in two ways; either it is too late or the threat is not nearly as eminent as those with their hair on fire would have us believe.

So what do we do; shut off the oil spigot and till the fields with oxen.

8 billion people say it ain’t going to happen.

Thanks DT

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Climate alarmism is as bad as those who say ‘nothing to worry about here’.

Temperature in the places I mentioned earlier are hitting record highs regularly, and alarmingly they are lasting longer. When people can’t live in their traditional homelands anymore, they will move. We already have a taste of it for different reasons (war, famine etc) and it’s not good. Climate migration is coming.

And 8 billion people is also a big part of the root cause. Given how all aspire to live like the top 10% (aircon, cars, fly here there and everywhere), well below 2 billion is probably still too much.

However, we are where we are, and pumping 40 billion tons of CO2 into the atmosphere every year (current global emissions levels) isn’t going to help is it?

Last edited:
Before celebrating the decline of CO2 in the US, remember that the decline still keeps us FAR above levels of concern. Second, keep in mind that methane is more potent a greenhouse gas than CO2 (some 25 times, and there are both natural and anthropogenic sources), and fluorinated gases are far more potent than that (as much as 10s of thousands of times more potent) and last for thousands of years - four our purposes, even though the fluorinated emissions have been declining, it's still building up in the atmosphere. But perhaps the biggest threat is water vapor (which IS a greenhouse gas and which increases as temperatures warm and which may have vast other effects). Then there are the changes to polar ice and permafrost. I could go on...and on...

The bottom line is, given the data and trends, given the complexity of what is at work, and given the changes we are seeing have been happening quicker than the models predicted, smart money would be on trying to fix the problem instead of giving up or ignoring it...

The weather here is really nice - it feels like Spring today, although it is predicted to hit mid 90's F / 35 C by this weekend, which I think would be the hottest it's been all year, but this is the South, and Summer, so it is supposed to be hot.

We had a scorching hot stretch of severe drought and heat about a dozen years ago, where one month it did not drop below 100 F / 38 C any time day or night, and I measured 118 F / 48 C in my backyard one August afternoon, but when that broke it has gone back to being very cool - about like the late 70's early 80's were.

I hardly drive my V12 anymore, and haven't bought a V8 in over a decade, so I guess I am doing my part to reduce my carbon footprint ...

it was a very unpleasant place at about +8 Celsius higher than now.
Unpleasant to humans?

The real issue is we have pumped 2.5 trillion tons (that's a cube with 109 km sides) in the last 150 yrs. When I went to high school in the early 1970's I was taught CO2 concentration in the atmosphere was about 280 ppm. It's now 409 ppm (and wasn't that high for about 10 million yrs IIRC). Nothing will now stop it going to between 430ppm and 450 ppm in the next 30 yrs. That represents a huge shock the Earths climate regulation feedback system in the blink of an eye in geological timescales - in 200 yrs, a potent greenhouse gas would have almost doubled in concentration. The Earth will move to new, higher temp, and stabilize around that point, but that will mean massive changes in flora and fauna. Just recently, the Amazon rain forest became a net producer of CO2, rather than a sink, which it has been for at least 50 million yrs.
Deja vu.

Hello,

Truth be told, 12 years from now we will have made some changes however we will still be pumping oil.

There will be someone new waving her arms in the streets and press, “the sky is falling”.

Copper will be in a long trend up. This week, FCX a copper miner has increased in value over 10%. There is good money to be made on this hair on fire human behavior.

Thanks DT
Nor-Cal Coast 58, degrees F and shiny.

Attachments

• FCX copper.png
    FCX copper.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 167
Copper will be in a long trend up. This week, FCX a copper miner has increased in value over 10%. There is good money to be made on this hair on fire human behavior.

From what I understand, it's the only way to play the stock market. You have to know people (i,e, human behavior) much moreso than technicals. Just try and predict the future based on that graph data alone...

Carl- how about a perspective on the costs and carbon footprint of commercial methods for production of hydrogen for transportation sector EVs?

Chris, I know next to nothing about hydrogen production but it has long been a background fascination for me. Maybe I'll take some time soon to start digging. But I won't have anything to say about it for quite a long time I'm afraid. I don't tend to jump to perspective and opinions about such things very quickly. I prefer to have my knowledge pretty well grounded before I speak.

@Evenharmonics yes unpleasant for humans. Not the kind of environment 8 billion of us would relish that’s for sure.
That's because we didn't come to existence in the condition it was 50 million years ago. Also, I don't see a relevance of pointing out the condition that far back. Knowing that in that long of time span, even the geography changes.

Nice weather on the drive from NJ to NEOH today although quite a bit of haze -- in NYC it is being attributed to the fires on the West Coast. One nasty rain squall around MM 170 on I-80.

In college I had a job driving a forklift in a die-casting factory -- the swing shift from 4:00 pm to midnite (sometimes later). Even though it was eons ago, I still remember the sad feeling when the sun started going down earlier on our lunch break (8:00 pm). Summer is too short!

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
That's because we didn't come to existence in the condition it was 50 million years ago. Also, I don't see a relevance of pointing out the condition that far back. Knowing that in that long of time span, even the geography changes.

Maybe you should read up a bit about human and primate evolution before making statements like that.

:wave: