The Weather

Made it through day 1, barely. Not looking forward to today; the cold savings from the night (windows open then shut) is only good for so much. Got an inflatable kayak in the water at the nearby lake - with wife, teenage son and dog in tow (dog literally on his own raft) - and parking was available. I'm covered head to toe in clothing to avoid sun poisoning, while these teenage girls in their "virtually naked" swimsuits - they finally cleared the public raft where I got to dive in 3-4 times; splashed my wife pretty good he-he! I noticed I'm not a very strong swimmer anymore...

She brought a black umbrella which kept that serious sun off my face and neck - the only exposed part of me. You could feel the IR radiating off the thing from the underside, like a heat lamp. Today plans are rinse and repeat. Looking at the weather service heatmap, the only unaffected area in the state of Washington is the summit of Mt Rainier! Or "Hurricane Ridge"...

Our sweet little dog suffers the most. He got several dunks in the lake to cool him off, plus his raft surface is wet. He can drink at his feet.

Last edited:
We have huge number of insects now, which add the the nuisance of excess heat. We spent a few days at summer cabin by a lake, but lack of AC or heat pump ( lack of electricity except 12V) made us to leave for the city. Temp during the night is not low enough to cool the building and no wind... Only good places to be were sauna, swimming or boating!

Attachments

• ahosaari.jpg
    ahosaari.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 139

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Today was warm, not like at Carlp's place.

The next few days will be either 88 degrees or 88% humidity, though not at the same time because it's all relative.

> I can't justify AC in more than one room unless we can find a system much more efficient.

I put in the smallest central A/C unit available and I can not complain. It hardly shows on the electric bill even when we run it 3pm to 3am. Small so it runs-runs-runs and works the water out of the air without too much chilling. Seems to run $3/day and (here) less than 10 days a summer. (Kinda makes-up for a 9 month heating season.)

Attachments

• 27June2021-downeastME--42.gif
    27June2021-downeastME--42.gif
    94.7 KB · Views: 125
We are int he sultry summer months.

High near 90F (32C), humid and miserable. Every time a shower comes through it is enough to cool things off for 15 minutes before the humidity spikes and it gets bad again.

Eh well it could be worse.

Besides, the days are getting shorter and winter will be here before we know it.

It's kinda spooky around here. I took the dog for a necessary walk and the streets were empty. No people, no cars and no sirens except the occasional ambulance. Work sites are all shut down, there are no A/C units to be found for sale at any store.

I have the cool water in the tub and same for the kitchen sink where I am partly submerging my dog once an hour. I can't do any work so I'll be starting on the 'adult' drinks soon. Must be careful.

Officially it's 40º in the City of Surrey. At 3 pm it was 43.8º on my balcony. That eclipses the 37º we had a decade or so ago which was the highest to that point. They have also downgraded it to a high of 41 from yesterday's anticipated 43º Thank ****ing gawd. Every degree at this point is another nail in the coffin for those of us just not used to anything like this.

Wait, I think I hear the bathtub calling. Gotta go!

:cheers:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 3.16.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 3.16.27 PM.png
    67.8 KB · Views: 85

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...restaurants in Greater Victoria ..... the temp in one of their kitchens reached 60C.....

"Bars and restaurants closed because kitchen vents could not keep up with the rising temperatures, creating dangerous conditions for cooks."
"Multnomah County, which includes Portland, has opened 11 emergency "cooling shelters," most of them in public libraries,..."
"Parks and Recreation closed down public swimming pools on Monday after several lifeguards experienced heat-related illnesses"
"Seattle, ...an all-time high of 104 degrees F....
"Olympia likewise set a new benchmark high of 105 degrees"
Pacific Northwest cities grind to a halt in record heat | Reuters

"Portland, Oregon, hit 112 degrees Sunday, shattering the previous record..
"Seattle .... also experienced its first back-to-back 100 degree days in history and will go for the hat trick Monday."
"Canada set a national record for highest temperature at 116 degrees. That's just 1 degree shy of Las Vegas' hottest ..."
"U.S. Olympic team trials for track and field were halted Sunday afternoon, after track temperatures in Eugene, Oregon, registered nearly 150 degrees."
"Infrastructure also was affected, as roads buckled and cracked due to expansion from the extreme heat."
"a large portion of Portland's public transportation, ...was expected to be shut down Monday because of the extreme heat."
"About 23 million people remained under heat alerts as temperatures were forecast to soar 30-40 degrees above average. For millions, Monday will be the third straight day of record highs."
NBC News: Pacific Northwest is in one of the most intense heat waves ...

temperature-conversion-celsius-fahrenheit.jpg

Attachments

• temperature-conversion-celsius-fahrenheit.jpg
    temperature-conversion-celsius-fahrenheit.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Another sorta hot one today, I'll take 26C just fine.
Getting set up for my AC unit install. Run the wire today. $60 for 10m of #10, thk Franklin Empire. Siemens breakers are in high demand. Sold out at all Electrical dist. Tried getting a quad 15-20-20-15 from Lowes, process order, take $ , no stock, no email, have to ask for credit, will never deal with them online again. We have one coming from Amazon, Prime so lets hope it gets here as they say.
Stay cool folks, hope the heat passes shortly

Last edited:
We reached 97 or 98F today (36+C) and around 50-60% humidity. "Feels like" 106F humidex right now according to my phone (but another chart I found says 113F or so). I can take the heat if it weren't so humid! Still, not as bad as the northwest. Having a very cold gin and tonic to reward me for making it through the work day. Oh, wait, that's another thread...