The Weather

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
oh dear. deary deary me.

See now you can't have that. You can't have sparks coming from your A/C compressor that will just mess up the finish on the track.

Though it is nice to know that you survived having a sparkler in your engine bay, a fuel leak somewhere and it would've been toast.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Getting a rather boring 20c with a low of 10c overnight here right now and a dreary looking overcast sky. In stark contrast to a few days ago when it was 3c and so on, some of my friends on facebook even posted outside temperatures of -1c which I don't believe I've ever seen before in this region with frost appearing on top of their cars and windscreens.

Getting a rather boring 20c with a low of 10c overnight here right now and a dreary looking overcast sky. In stark contrast to a few days ago when it was 3c and so on, some of my friends on facebook even posted outside temperatures of -1c which I don't believe I've ever seen before in this region with frost appearing on top of their cars and windscreens.
You need to get inland more

Ever use Windy.com? Someone here posted it and I find myself going there almost everyday. Over on the right you can change the screen to whatever you want.

Windy: Wind map & weather forecast (also known as Windyty)

Speaking of inland, I was at Vancouver airport yesterday where the temperature was 25º. That our official weather station. Get back to my place (inland) and it's 32º.

Curaçao is way too crowdy in July and August (a KLM flight to the island tomorrow does $3800, end of August it's less than $700 for a return ticket)

- July 13 to 15 was North Sea Jazz festival in Rotterdam
- This weekend is Summer Carnaval Rotterdam, today was the brass band contest, tomorrow the street parade : YouTube
- August 30 to September 1st : Curaçao North Sea Jazz (Sting, Sam Cooke, Grace Jones, Pati Labelle, Christina Aguilera and a bunch of Colombian and reggae artists)
Then it's a few months wait till the Curaçao hurricane season has passed, after which it's Tambu time in December and January (held at night only on the poor & wild left side of the island, attending feels as illegal as Tambu used to be : YouTube )
End of January is the Tumba festival, which is the start of Carnaval on Curaçao, goes on till the big street parade Gran Marcha (on the 3d of March in 2019)

Back to the weather

Curaçao is way too crowdy in July and August

Don't want to be Cassandra but Tuesday we had that heavy misty rain here in NJ -- the kind you get when a Tropical Depression is having its way with the Carolinas. Today (Friday) we had brilliant sun followed by tropical rain and heavy winds.

I am guessing that this is going to be a pretty interesting hurricane season from Curacao to Maine.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
My wife said I was acting immaturely.
I told her to get out of my fort and take her girl germs with her.

That was probably a good idea.

Girl germs spread like wildfire throughout the ranks.

In other news the weather today was so warm that my bunny rabbit was looking to cool off and molting!

21c today and 8c overnight.

Last edited:
21c today and 8c overnight.
I drove to Chilliwack for a friend's birthday party today. A roadside temperature sign read 37 degrees Celsius. :eek:

A long time ago, I spent some time 8 degrees north of the equator, and it never got this hot in summer - it rarely broke 30 degrees C, in fact. Now I'm at 49 degrees north of the equator, and it's 37 degrees C.

There are so many wildfires in Southern BC now, that the air is hazy and smoky wherever you go.

The attached images tell part of the tale.

-Gnobuddy

Attachments

• heat_warning.png
    heat_warning.png
    43.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Air_Quality.png
    Air_Quality.png
    284.1 KB · Views: 72
yeah exactly, the A/C compressor doesn't work all of the time either even on older cars and will use more power at higher engine RPMs, so if you are cruising along with an engine speed of 1,200-1,500rpm then it won't consume as much energy as an A/C compressor spinning at a higher RPM (if you are in a lower gear for example and doing 55 vs using an overdrive gear). and modern ones will increase and decrease their flow rate and allow the A/C compressor to be more efficientaccording to how much cooling is required.

YouTube

So with a variable displacement compressor the compressor is always turning, which just boggles the mind when you think about fuel effiency, if they drew any sort of amazing amount of power you would get terrible fuel consumption, yet you don't.

A good example in why you should look at the greater picture rather than just one component.
And add to this that some car have simple fuel injection systems, no digital AC controls and have only one wire for inform the injection system that will be more engine load, simple as that. If you jump this wire, the car automagically starts to eats more fuel even with compressor removed... my car is one of this type
The AC real load is only part of fuel consumption, in this particular case...
At least the difference is small and for travelling is better than open windows.