The Weather

We did not have spring this year.

May 6th they refreshed the cross country ski tracks where I live.
May 11th the ice broke on a lake close to those ski tracks.
May 28 ,29, 30 and 31 I went swimming in that lake. The 31st it was 21c in the lake.
There has never been a warmer month of May in this country. I also went swimming the 1st, 2nd and 3rd of June, y'know, to have a full week, shortest swim in a day was 750 meters no break, longest was just over 2km no break.

Now it seems things have normalized, and we're back to Norwegian summer (ca 20c and rain).

Last edited:
I've booked a holiday in Sardinia, Instantly the weather is perfect here as would be usual. My ex left me a card. " Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain". To which I added " Yes. As it's always bloody raining " To be honest I learnt the rain thing in Mauritius where drenched in 28C rain is wonderful. Like the Caribbean mostly it's over in an hour. I suspect Mauritius has ideal storms. When I went there my basic knowledge of French helped as it's almost the French I speak with English bits, real French speakers find it had. It was 40 C which I took to be fair enough. No, it was a record period and they suffered more than me.

I went back recently. It's changed and not for the better. It was how we all should live. What I wrongly call the 2nd World. The 2nd World is the same as the 1st World except the family still matters. Health is similar with both, Mauritius having better chances of good health rather than money. Food it abundant. From what I read nearby Reunion Island helps the money supply as France effectively supports both, indirectly via the neighbour. Guess as it was French maybe they don't mind. The British governor since the early 1800's never asked them to speak English. All government announcements are in English. All real life in French. Mauritian beer is much like Corona from Mexico. I think early Mauritian stamps are some of the most valuable. French Hindu's works very well. The Island is larger than it looks. One would think it's Barbados from the air. Sega music is great. A Mauritian family day out is drinking Rum on the beach on Sunday morning beating out Sega. No one goes too far. Mostly there are no health issues. Forgive the link. Edit it a bit if not super rich.

YouTube

Rainy and thundery now.........Serious rain last night.

That's what the weather channel promised us too. None came......yet.

Today it says:

Up to 10 inches possible: days of rain already underway.

I hope that's wrong or we will be flooded. It also shows the UV index at 2, but it is sunny and hot right now. Radar shows an ugly mess over Minnesota and Wisconsin spinning towards us.

Attachments

• Hot.jpg
    Hot.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 96
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It's another really hot day here, 30°C on my walk to and from the post office. They were promising us a somewhat cooler, drier day than yesterday, which is the case, but not enough to motivate me to walk when I get back from my trip to the other side of the city.

The worst of last night's storm missed us, apparently to the north and west of the city there were a number of microbursts resulting in trashed trees and downed power lines. Just lots of rain, some wind, and a little thunder.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
It's UV light you need for vitamin D production

Ah yes of course you do. Sorry. I do make mistakes rather often.

Though granted you wouldn't want a large amount of UV light (it is invisible and makes a rather nasty burn mark when exposed to it for too long) otherwise you would burn your skin without even knowing it, probably a good idea to keep infrared in the loop with a suitable "perfect" light source for tanning during winter to keep the blues away so that you don't get too close to the light source, infrared would be a great solution to that, heat keeps pretty much every creature young and old away far enough that they don't burn.

In fact UV light is quite abundant from halogen light sources, abundant enough to burn my skin after only about 6 hours of exposure, especially if they don't have UV light filters like the one that I'm using do.

In fact I'm not entirely sure if I want to be using a CFL with a large amount of invisible UV light coming from it especially if I'm so well burned from this simple little dim 42 watt halogen light source. The excessive amount of UV light might end up causing damage to my retinas, especially when the lamp is so close to my eyes and face.

In fact I might end up just using a regular old 60 watt incandescent bulb from now on, this 42 watt halogen is putting out quite a lot of UV light as I've mentioned before, I mean my skin is burning a bit and I've only been using it for about 2 days with close (6-12 inches) exposure to my skin on my arms and face and head.

I think calcium and D are needed to link.

I wasn't seeking reduction of winter blues. I seem to have it form my 2700K lights which to me shouldn't work. My suspicion is the 2700K is loosely speaking.

Maybe its because the lack of blue is allowing your body to have microsleeps when you are conscious, or allowing your mind and your body to relax and so therefore you are less stressed out and so therefore you won't become or get so moody and annoyed and agitated and therefore depressed. I've actually written a rather interesting rant below in regards to that, I frankly hate blue light and to be honest with you apart from differentiating between different objects I would prefer my perfect light source to have the minimum amount of blue necessary just enough for color rendition at a distance.

That is why I still use incan flashlights, great really, if I want more light I just pump more watts into it really or just deal with the lack of light in different ways by concentrating the light that I do have into a more focused beam OR I just simply make sure that my surroundings are dark enough for it to be useful.

Might be okay when opening a front door during a blackout I'm sure but not necessarily so useful when there are street lights on nearby.

Anyway the point is, the only reason why we see incans as such a weak light source is because of light pollution from other sources and the fact that our eyes haven't adjusted to those weaker light sources. I mean think about it we've been content to live in the dark for a hundred years now and we have all had either candles or gas burning lamps or calcium carbide lamps on our cars for quite a while now and people have been able to drive even with those sort of lamps running, so why the sudden movement into LED'ifying everything? Because of money! yes money and "please think of the pollution".... yawn. Not so when you have a solar power system to run them with.

Just think about it we were perfectly content with candles and kerosene lamps for hundreds if not thousands of years. Why the sudden abandonment of incan now? yes the incan light source, quite good actually, especially if you have a solar panel system that allows you to pay for all of the energy that they produce.

The Halogen is a dirty yellow light. Also 5 watts LED seems brighter than 50 watts halogen.
Yes quite but I wouldn't call it as dirty as a coal power plant just yet, it does provide infrared and cut down on the heating of a room, and its not as sharp in certain parts of the visible light spectrum as most LED and Fluorescent light sources are, just compare the visible spectrum of LED and Fluro with Incan anyday and you'll see that Incan is a perfect black body radiator with a CRI of 100 (Perfect score), which I'm sure you know already and I'm sure you know already that the output tapers off with the smallest output on the UV end of the spectrum.

Which frankly is probably the best/ideal situation for us humans, seeing as we don't really like blue light because it keeps us awake and all that, I mean it you were fatigued and were looking for your lost dog an excess amount of blue light could just end up giving you a headache and exacerbating an already stressful situation and making you want to hate the light and go and run for an incandescent flashlight.

Ideally we would all have perfectly flat output 100 CRI light sources which I really don't think we will be ever capable of producing, I'm not entirely sure we would want one, we still need a bit of a color temperature shift from normal to be able to differentiate natural sources of light such as the sun from unnatural sources of light. Just look at how annoying HID car headlights are and how bad it is to be driving with those horrid 6000 kelvin white driving lights. I frankly am not a fan.

Then again there is the other side of the argument, too yellow and you get poor CRI too take for example HPS street lights. very bad for seeing in the dark but I would still take it over a LED any day. maybe I'm just weird.

Anyway tally ho, this thread isn't exactly the right thread to be talking about the benefits and drawbacks of CRI and LED and Incan light sources now is it.

Last edited:
The worst of last night's storm missed us, apparently to the north and west of the city there were a number of microbursts resulting in trashed trees and downed power lines. Just lots of rain, some wind, and a little thunder.

I love summer electrical storms. So long as my family is not part of the circuit, bring it on.

Having said that, I still get the heebie jeebies from War of the Worlds.

YouTube

Attachments

• 2833_4.jpg
    2833_4.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I love summer electrical storms. So long as my family is not part of the circuit, bring it on.

I once told my brother to put a meat pie in the microwave for 10 minutes, the meat pie exploded.

I'm afraid of thunderstorms too, especially when I'm in my bedroom with electrical cables (still plugged in) running all across the floor and walls and going across against the bedframe (which I'm sitting/laying on), I tend to leave the bedroom and join my mother in the living room whenever there is a massive thunderstorm around and go and sit down.

Having said that, I still get the heebie jeebies from War of the Worlds
English people and their terrible Dr Who episodes scare me the most, their terrible english accent (repeated unnesserially constantly and repeatedly) from a monster in Dr Who are the only thing in my life left which can still give me an upset stomach and make me want to hurl.

Especially when they shake their heads for horror effect and speed up the tape for horror effect and make unnecessary amounts of gore and electrocute people... there are a lot of sick minds in england. AND DR WHO IS A KIDS PROGRAM!

I sure am sick of this english weather.

Last edited:
Venus. I recently read about this blue LED is the bedroom thing. I by pure chance have one very small red LED and one green at about 12 feet away. All just how it is and not a plan. My phone off or turned face down. I really hate the monochromatic sodium light which sort of gets in the bedroom a little and the Moon sometimes is almost like daylight.

We often think in the UK New Zealand is the UK down-under. I noticed Auckland was 14C yesterday which is not bad for the sorter days. We do get 10C on rare winter days.