The Weather

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
YouTube

Can't see that sign without thinking about this song.

There is no way that you can tell if the guy who was parked next to me was actually handicapped. However the fact that its an SUV kind of tips it off doesn't it?

There is supposed to be a sticker displayed in the front windscreen for disabled drivers, I don't see one either unless its hiding on the left side behind the pillar.

Anyway back on topic. I hope that we get more of these thunderstorms, maybe I will take my gopro hero 4 out and take some shaky footage.

Someone down in sydney managed to capture this nice strike (probably on a power line):
Donna Farragher - Wow. Didn’t intend to get this on film...

Last edited:
I have been chasing lightning bolts with my still camera for years.......It takes a thousand useless pictures to catch a few good ones. Here is 3 strikes on the gulf of Mexico, taken from the beach. There are 2 on the mainland west coast of Florida, and a time exposure from the seawall facing east with no lightning. Pine Island and Ft. Meyers Florida provide the glowing coast line. Condominiums behind me provide the orange glow in the water.

Attachments

• CaptivaLightning_1_x.jpg
    CaptivaLightning_1_x.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 95
  • SeawallAtNight_x.jpg
    SeawallAtNight_x.jpg
    646.2 KB · Views: 45
  • CaptivaLightning_5_x.jpg
    CaptivaLightning_5_x.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 80
  • CaptivaLightning_4_x.jpg
    CaptivaLightning_4_x.jpg
    639 KB · Views: 83
  • CaptivaLightning_3_x.jpg
    CaptivaLightning_3_x.jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 77
  • CaptivaLightning_2_x.jpg
    CaptivaLightning_2_x.jpg
    490.4 KB · Views: 82
In the USA, handicapped placards exist in two forms. (1) a placard which hangs from the rear view mirror when parked in a handicap spot, (2) a permanent Disability license plate.

Although I do tend to get dirty looks when I park my motorcycle in a handicap spot, it doesn't bother me. My doctor knows what my condition is, and he is the one that determined I qualified for the license plate.

All of my vehicles have had permanent disability license plates since my bicycle wreck in 98. One can't tell by the vehicle driven what the condition it is that the driver is inflicted with.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...once the snow started melting. His chute kept clogging....

Interesting. I knew the new-style low-price 1-stages were a rubber flap (my 1972 was the big-end of a 2-stage without the small impeller).

Does it actually throw? Or just move it over? (All the ads lie: my new "40 foot throw" actually leaves the row 12 feet over, any kind of snow. It's not 40 feet to the furthest flake blowing downwind.)

Yes, none of mine swallow wet snow. I kinda have a bye-day today because it is 33F and no point going out to clear clogs. I may have to work some roof-slide over, and am hoping it is cold enough inside the pack.

I hate working on a post for 20 minutes only to have the browser crash. Now I get to start over.

second image has an odd reflection....I think that's just below a strip of cloud

Most of these pictures were shot late at night in total darkness. I just put the old Panasonic on automatic and push the shutter button. The shutter will open for up to 8 seconds, or until the brain thinks it's captured enough light. In this case the image was very dark and I cranked up the brightness after the fact to a point where noise became visible. I just made another version with the brightness maximized. Grainy, but more obvious as to what happened. Either the bolt went behind a cloud, or blew through it.

a left-leaning photographer.

Who, me????? In reality I have taken over 30,000 pictures since the digital era made pushing the shutter button essentially free. Before that I had a darkroom which minimized processing costs since I only printed the good stuff. My photos run the gamut from "guy stuff" like auto racing and obstacle course racing, to concert pictures (anywhere from rock to the symphony), to "artsy fartsy" stuff like birds, kittens, flowers and still life scenes. There are of course the usual grandkids and vacation pictures. The lightning shots came from vacation pictures. Even on vacation, when it rains, I'm outside playing in the rain....with my camera.

Here I usually post things that pertain to DIY and audio, or something else that's related to the thread I'm on. But.......

It might be the passenger that is afflicted.......or the viewer....who knows?

In Florida a person could get a handicapped sticker for being "mentally handicapped." In that person's case he was a perfectly normal fully functioning human being (and my boss at work for a year). His "handicap" was "work related stress."

Does it actually throw? Or just move it over?

It has the typical chute sticking out of the top, which can be aimed. Light fluffy snow will go at least 20 feet in calm wind, and way past that with a strong wind behind me. By the time I was nearly finished yesterday the falling snow had turned to rain which made what's left on the ground rather mushy. The machine would still throw that about 10 feet in front of me (that's where I aimed it) so that I would hit it again as I moved across the 25 foot wide driveway. It managed to pick up the double load near the edge and toss that 6 feet or so. I moved the cars and tried to blast through the brown crud that had fallen off the cars and partially refrozen, a mix of snow, mud, salt and cinders. That stuff mostly splattered everywhere and what came out of the chute only went a few feet. I had to finish up that mess with a shovel.

I kinda have a bye-day today because it is 33F

It's currently 39 here and the yard in now a lake of mush. The snow on the creek is melted and there is now water flowing below, and on top of the ice. The path where the trucks have been crossing is now all broken up, so that's where the two water streams join. The brick is still sitting on the ice where I through it several days ago here though.

Attachments

• P1000007_x.jpg
    P1000007_x.jpg
    629.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Bee_x.jpg
    Bee_x.jpg
    667.4 KB · Views: 35
  • CaptivaSunset_1_x.jpg
    CaptivaSunset_1_x.jpg
    858.1 KB · Views: 36
  • CaptivaDarkness_3_x.jpg
    CaptivaDarkness_3_x.jpg
    726.6 KB · Views: 127
  • MorningSucks_x.jpg
    MorningSucks_x.jpg
    861.8 KB · Views: 127
  • GoodMorningFtMyers_x.jpg
    GoodMorningFtMyers_x.jpg
    922.3 KB · Views: 132
  • P1030220_x.jpg
    P1030220_x.jpg
    702 KB · Views: 137
  • CaptivaLightning2Test_x.jpg
    CaptivaLightning2Test_x.jpg
    787.3 KB · Views: 139
  • P1000103_x.jpg
    P1000103_x.jpg
    517.3 KB · Views: 37
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Wait, so all you Aussies who are rubbing it in about your warm...uh...hot! temperatures, where were you last July and August when some of us were asking how cold it was???

I think I might have posted the morning (7:30) I got out of the car to walk to the station and it was 9 deg C :) That has been the coldest I've seen at that time of the morning for the last 10 years...

Oh and the BOM retracted the record temp. There was 47.8 deg C recorded in 1939 at a now closed weather station in western Sydney.

I was surprised that it wasn't hotter than that back in 2013 when we got just under 46 deg C in the CBD (it's usually 4 to 6 degrees hotter in the west).

The thunderstorms yesterday morning were wicked. Woke up with an enourmous bang then heard stuff dropping on the roof a few seconds later, thought a bomb had gone off! Then the rain started followed by a heap of lightening and thunder.

Tony.

It's always "cold today" were I live; nothing changes. No schools close, everybody shows up at work on time. Some people ride bicycles to work. When we say to each other that "it's cold today", we are talking about -30 and lower (records are in the -43C / -46F range), air temperature (not wind chill corrected).

Today it's -8C (18F; -16C/3F wind chill corrected) and we say "pretty nice out today" to each other.

But I realize that temperature tolerance is adjusted behaviour; if we have a warm October and all of a sudden the snow flies one day, we feel cold for a few days or weeks too, until we adjust, we've seen it before, carry on.

I have to say that I would not choose to live anywhere else, at least before retiring, and I've been to about 30 US states, the Caribbean, Europe, North Africa. The summer weather is arguably the finest in the world (usually dry, clear blue sky, often cloudless, and about +25~35, but the norm is up to +40 /105F) and all the intangibles are excellent. So don't read this as a complaint, or a criticism of those who don't like unseasonably cold weather wherever you might live. We expect certain weather and it's disconcerting when it's worse than the norm, wherever you are.

Dress for the weather. It makes a huge difference. I have clothing that I can't even wear if it's not below about -20C /-5F, I'll get too hot even outdoors.

Last edited:
Anyone yet mention Mt Washington , New Hampshire? -44F + 60mph wind makes it one of the chillier places on the planet (-94F corrected earlier this week) - albeit it's not permanently inhabited like Oymyakon, Russia, or numerous other spots north of the Arctic Circle, several of which fly the Maple Leaf - but no brass monkey garden statuary, I'm thinking.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
At least at some time, there was "always" a meteorologist at the top of Mt Washington. They took readings the old fashioned way, sling psychrometer. (Maybe they got all the thermometers on-line now.) I had heard that it was a coveted gig for young weather-men, but nobody stayed long.